Downgrading

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Downgrading

Post by Adrian »

Cut2D doesn't have v-carve, texturing, fluting, moulding toolpaths or any rotary features in addition to no 3D features.

You could always download the trial to verify that it has the features you're interested in.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

I think your money might be better spend on upgrading your WinCNC computer. I'm assuming you have one of the older machines, with the original computer. My Cobra is 8 years old and the computer is definitely slow when designing, especially working in higher resolution 3D. But it still works well with my Cobra, and I do very little designing on the CNC computer so it hasn't bothered me much yet.

You are allowed to have Aspire on another computer, so why not put it on a faster computer and do your designing there, then transfer to your WinCNC computer for cutting? I don't think you would be happy with Cut2D after using Aspire. Too limited.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Adrian wrote:Cut2D doesn't have v-carve, texturing, fluting, moulding toolpaths or any rotary features in addition to no 3D features.
That indeed would be very limiting, IMHO.

"Downgrading" also will require saving every single design out of Aspire into the "downgrade" file format for everything that needs to be retained from previous work and then a likely re-save in the "current version downgrade" product because it, too, will have an upgrade native file format.

I'd stick with the Aspire version you have now or upgrade Aspire, personally.

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Buy, fix, and sell them

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I wish I had never gotten aspire, as for me, it was a waste of money.

I do like the new snapping options available.
Custom CNC Work
Local Machine Repairs and Programming

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3X5

Post by jssussex@gmail.com »

If you have Aspire 8.5 you don't have to upgrade. Just keep using it and it will work fine. Like one other guy said he is using version 3.5 SO you wouldn't gain anything by down grading besides spending money. Keep aspire and use it till you grow out of it. It's not a leased product so you can use it forever without upgrading. ANd 8.5 I think is multi core compliant.