Trying to create raised grid pattern

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Yabba
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23LT

Trying to create raised grid pattern

Post by Yabba »

Hello everyone, new user...

I am trying to create a raised grid pattern - with I assume a pocket tool path - so that I can have the centre of the boxes cut, leaving the grid lines raised. I have tried multiple ways of laying vectors, but cannot figure out how to close the vectors properly in order to allow the tool path to work. End product is going to be a scrabble game, if that helps to explain what I'm trying to do...

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: Trying to create raised grid pattern

Post by jimwill2 »

If your pocket toolpath isn't cutting the way you want create a new box around the entire grid and select your boxes and the new outline... it should reverse what is being cut. If that doesn't help posting your file on the forum is the best way to get the advice you need.
Jim Williams

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Create the square the size you like using the rectangle tool. Now use the array tool to create multiple squares with a gap equal to the grid you would like left between tiles.

Yabba

Post by Yabba »

I see... thanks tomgardiner. I think my problem, or at least my biggest problem, was that I was trying to figure out how to create vectors for the actual grids, when they should just be gaps between boxes.... thanks again!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Here is an example
Attachments
Grid.crv
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Grid.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Yabba

Post by Yabba »

Thanks, Rcnewcomb. That is what I came up with as well. I have now gotten the grid completed, and added a tool path for the centre star, and a tool path for the bonus spots (dws, tws, dls, tls, etc). It appears to be ready for milling, but when I preview all tool paths (3), the bonus letters don't seem to carve as deep as when I only preview that tool path... I am starting it out at a depth equal to that of the bottom of the grid. Also , when I look at the summary, the max cut depth for the star and for the bonus spots seems to be backwards? I can't seem to post the crv file... maybe it's too big? 14mb

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I can't seem to post the crv file... maybe it's too big? 14mb
post the file on a file sharing site such as Google Drive, dropBox, OneDrive, etc. and share the link here.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Yabba

Post by Yabba »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16yQ4ZZ ... sp=sharing

First time trying, didn't even know I had Google Drive... :roll:

Here is the crv file. I'm not sure if it will mill properly as I get different views of the bonus spots in preview depending on which tool path I preview... when previewing just the letters tool path, it looks good, but when previewing all tool paths, the letters don't seem to be engraved deep enough?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The letters quite small. (.17") If you want to carve them deeper, use a 45 or 30 degree bit instead of the 60 degree bit. However, they will still not be very easy to see. When I cut letters this small, I seal the wood after carving with a coat or two of sealer or clear finish. Then I fill the letters with contrasting acrylic paint. After it dries I sand off the fill paint that has gotten on the flat surface. However, this will be difficult to do with your design because of the raised grid.

What I would do: Use the pocket toolpath, and cut the grid pattern, cutting the pockets with letters 1/8" or so deeper. I would then carve squares with lettering on them to fit the pockets. Paint the letters, and glue the squares into their corresponding pockets.

On further thought, you can get the letters to stand out more if you use a light wood such as maple and apply a dark stain. Wipe off as much as you can so most of the stain that remains is in the letters.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Make sure you have the Preview Simulation Quality on the Toolpaths menu set to Maximum as otherwise you'll get a poor idea of the lettering with such small lettering on a large piece of material.

If you hover over the Letters toolpath you'll see it cuts to a depth of 0.149" in total so it never gets near your flat depth. For lettering that small I would generally use one of the single line fonts in the text tool and then profile on the line with a v-bit or engraving bit using the cut depth to get the look I need. If you want to stay with the v-carve look then you need to switch to a font with a bigger stroke width so the gap between the vectors is larger and/or use a more acute angle bit. You could also experiment with the quick engrave toolpath as well.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Hi Yabba, welcome! As a relatively new user, I can attest to the excellent quality of advice on this forum. I see you have the same machine make/model as me. I can't seem to send a direct message, but if you can, let's do a PM to compare notes. It's been an "interesting" learning curve!

Anyway, about the fine lettering. I agree with FixitMike about the size and depth. I have been able to cut lettering that is unreadably small. I used a 1/8" 30 degree V-bit into Maple. The smallest I would say is readable is .125, again into Maple using the 30 degree bit. I used a 0.050" cut depth with no Flat Depth. I'm using Livos Natural Oil and find that it darkens the letters just enough to make them legible. If you are cutting a less hard wood, I don't think the letters will resolve well.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Yabba

Post by Yabba »

Thanks very much for all of the advice, this is indeed a great place to learn. I'm going to try a different font, and a smaller bit... I'll update the progress.