45 degree hole

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
richinsd
Model of CNC Machine: laguna IQ HHC

45 degree hole

Post by richinsd »

I'm a Rhino user trying to create a simple model for someone who uses Aspire 9.5. He's trying to insert a 4" dust port into .5" thick material at a 45 degree angle. I made a model for him in Rhino by creating a 4" cylinder, rotating to 45 degrees, placing it through the center of the .5" thick material and using the Boolean cut command to remove the cylinder leaving the hole behind. In Rhino the model appears to be a through cut. I've exported to STL and when viewed it is a through cut. When he imports into v9.5 the thickness and visible angles are correct but it does not import as a through cut. There is a solid surface on the bottom side that cannot be removed. I'm wondering if I should export the model in a different format? Is there something missed in my creation process or is there something missed in the import process? Best yet, can this model be created in Aspire directly? We're both a bit new at this but getting there. By the way, there are many things Rhino does easily on the modeling side. That said, I can see there are many things Aspire offers with significantly less complexity particularly now that I'm diving into 4th axis operations. Since 9.5 came into the picture with new features, I'm about ready to step up to the plate again so I own both. Thanks in advance. Rich

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: 45 degree hole

Post by 4DThinker »

In aspire there is no way to cut a hole that cuts through at 45 degrees as one side would be an undercut. One might be able to accomplish the task as a 2-sided job with each side just cutting 1/2 the hole, and obviously the half that isn't undercutting from the top side. I've attached an example of one way using the fluting toolpath and a 1/4" endmill.

4D
Attachments
Angled Hole Example 2-sided.crv3d
(242.5 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

richinsd
Model of CNC Machine: laguna IQ HHC

Post by richinsd »

Thanks 4D for your reply. I understand the need for two sided operation. That's where the problem comes in. After importing the model into a two sided project, the top side shows the hole and the wall angle. The bottom of the hole however is rendered as a surface. There is no hole or cut geometry present on the bottom side in Aspire. I think part of the issue here is that I've been thinking of this as a 3D cut so I was trying to tool path the model as I would in Rhino. I've made the cut in Aspire with a work around of off setting the work piece to account for the flip and cutting the same geometry twice with a .25 Ball nose and a 3D finish tool path. My apologies for my lack of clarity but I do not have aspire here and have not been able to investigate the modeling features in detail. I'm also pretty new too all this myself and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the differences in the way models are approached in the two applications. I am interested to know if there are processes available within Aspire to create and tool path this 2 sided model as a 3D solid using the two sided features of Aspire. Can a 4" circle be extruded at an angle? more importantly, are the modeling tools available to cut one object from another? I'm going to download the manual to investigate further. I just thought someone here might have an answer.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I haven't played much with the modelling tools in Aspire, although they are pretty versatile. The majority of the complex work I do can be accomplished using the Moulding and Fluting toolpaths. The Aspire reference manual is online if you want to peruse it: https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.5/Aspi ... index.html

4D

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

One way is split the material in half so you have two 2-1/2" thick pieces, then do it as double sided project and undercut it by 1.25", then glue the two halves together. You'll have a small about of tab that it won't get, but looks like it would be easy to clear. If it's done as one solid piece, you'll never be able to clear out the center section unless you had a very long mill and undercut it by 2-1/2". Either way, you'll have some hand work.

You could also run a 4" hole saw to clear the part that wasn't cut.

Gary
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Just a thought...do you have enough "Z" height to tilt the part 45 deg. and do a circular pocket the size you want...would require a longer bit, a 45 deg. holding fixture, and some careful planning to insure clearance, but it could be a solution.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Actually if you split the material into thirds (1.67") each, then do a double sided with an overcut of half (.84"), it will work. Then just glue the three pieces together.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

richinsd wrote:I'm a Rhino user trying to create a simple model for someone who uses Aspire 9.5.
Can you post the original Rhino file?

On import does setting the "overcut distance" to 0.25" help?

Steven

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

Why not just clamp it down on the table at a 45 degree and pocket a hole?
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Another way would be to put a 45 degree block under the part if you have a bit long enough to cut all the way thru. The length of the cut will be thickness of the material x 1.1414 + the diameter of the hole + zed.
Dale
45 degree holes.png
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

richinsd wrote:I'm a Rhino user trying to create a simple model for someone who uses Aspire 9.5. He's trying to insert a 4" dust port into .5" thick material at a 45 degree angle. I made a model for him in Rhino by creating a 4" cylinder, rotating to 45 degrees, placing it through the center of the .5" thick material and using the Boolean cut command to remove the cylinder leaving the hole behind. In Rhino the model appears to be a through cut. I've exported to STL and when viewed it is a through cut. When he imports into v9.5 the thickness and visible angles are correct but it does not import as a through cut. There is a solid surface on the bottom side that cannot be removed. I'm wondering if I should export the model in a different format? Is there something missed in my creation process or is there something missed in the import process? Best yet, can this model be created in Aspire directly? We're both a bit new at this but getting there. By the way, there are many things Rhino does easily on the modeling side. That said, I can see there are many things Aspire offers with significantly less complexity particularly now that I'm diving into 4th axis operations. Since 9.5 came into the picture with new features, I'm about ready to step up to the plate again so I own both. Thanks in advance. Rich
Personally I would cut the hole with the CNC, take the piece to the router table with a 45 degree bit and route it out. I just made a fixture to hold my DC hose above my Kent dust shoe. Cut the hole with the CNC then rounded over on the router table. Sometime I forget that I have other tools in the shop much more suitable for tasks then the CNC. Especially when it would take a lot of time to model it with Aspire. Just my thoughts.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

DLWOODWORKS wrote:
richinsd wrote: Sometime I forget that I have other tools in the shop much more suitable for tasks then the CNC. Especially when it would take a lot of time to model it with Aspire. Just my thoughts.
You've described a common side effect that I also suffer from given I have a full shop in addition to my CNC. My other tools whimper with abandonment when they see me booting up the Linux PC that runs my Probotix Meteor. I do vaguely remember being able to solve all woodworking challenges that came my way before I had a CNC, so I resist using the CNC until I get a challenge that isn't possible or at least easy/quick to solve some other way.

4D :)