My first License Plate style Guitar

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

My first License Plate style Guitar

Post by CarveOne »

Last fall I was driving by a local bait and tackle shop and spotted a rack full of vanity plates outside. I stopped and bought this one for a future guitar project. The future is finally here ... :)

The box is made with curly maple, black walnut, and Padauk. The neck is made of red oak, curly maple, and Padauk. The tail pieces are made of galvanized nails, as is the bridge. The tuners, string set, and dual piezo electric pickup kit are from the C. B. Gitty website (my other favorite place to waste my money). The mounting bolt holes are actually the sound holes, and it has pretty good volume with just those holes. The top panel is fitted and epoxied between the box and the Padauk top frame. It has very good sustain also. (Pick a string and it rings for a few seconds.) This one is a personal keeper, but I plan to lend it to the local Roanoke Valley Veterans Museum for display along with the two donated Moon Pie and M&M's guitars for a month or two.

Oh yeah, my wife isn't so enamored about why I was so attracted to this vanity plate. :roll:

CarveOne
Attachments
20190307_083305.jpg
20190307_083225.jpg
20190307_083336.jpg
20190307_083318.jpg
20190307_083936.jpg
20190307_082606.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: My first License Plate style Guitar

Post by Savannahdan »

First, did you caught any fish that day? The License Plate style Guitar is wonderful. I can understand your wife looking at it with suspicion. You better be careful or you'll be wearing a cast iron skillet. :lol:

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Just like your other ones, this is a cool project. Is the lettering decals or raised letter and painted? However you did it, it's very crisp.

Gary

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Savannahdan wrote:First, did you caught any fish that day? The License Plate style Guitar is wonderful. I can understand your wife looking at it with suspicion. You better be careful or you'll be wearing a cast iron skillet. :lol:
No, but they caught a customer with that outside display. :wink:

Rockfish fishing on the Roanoke River is a big thing around here, and lots of people fish in the local creeks and ponds. I already turned an 8" cast iron frying pan into a three string guitar a few years ago and it's still in my collection. Good thing I can still run faster than she can ...

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

garylmast wrote:Just like your other ones, this is a cool project. Is the lettering decals or raised letter and painted? However you did it, it's very crisp.

Gary
The lettering on the tuner head is V-carved, mapped onto a 3D model for the shape needed to fit the .6" thickness for the tuner shanks. The V-carved text is dark stained. The vanity plate is purchased just as you see it in the photos. The neck and fret board are designed in Aspire and CNC machined. Fret spacing is determined using an online calculator that is on the Stewart McDonald website. The fret markers are my usual fired large pistol primers pressed into a pocket that is a snug fit.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I showed this guitar to the bait and tackle shop employees and owner this morning. They couldn't believe that a vanity plate could be used to make a nice sounding guitar like this. :D

Then I showed it to the Veterans Museum manager, and we arranged a place to display it in the glass case next to the other two guitars I made for them, when I take it back next week for a loan arrangement we made. He can already play it, and will demonstrate it every chance he gets to show it to the museum visitors.

CarveOne
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Always nice to get a good response to your work Richard :)
Especially nice when you Deserve it! :D

A LOT less trouble with this quote;

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
Desiderius Erasmus :)

NICE work!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Yeah, the wording on the vanity plate might be a little controversial to some, but a lot of the grown men around here can easily relate to the message. :wink:

CarveOne
CarveOne

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Wow you just keep punching em out. That looks sweet. Thanks for sharing. I can definately relate to the vanity plate. Although I am sure my wife would be a bit disturbed if I bought something like that out of the shop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Oh...I can relate Richard!!
A couple decades ago When I Had money.....Money manager said;
"Is there any way this Lady could be a tax write off?"....."Nope"......and he just said "Pity." :D :D :D
Like a song says...."She's so fine.....There's no tellin' where the money went.." :)

Actually laughed when I first read it!!
Thank goodness I also bought tools and wood!

Like Dwayne said....You just keep pumping out Superb One Ofs!! :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

This guitar is now on display at the Roanoke Valley Veterans Museum. Delivered it yesterday afternoon. Another mission accomplished. :)

CarveOne
CarveOne