Unwanted ridge

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Unwanted ridge

Post by Xxray »

Here is a project I am fixin to make for someone, as you can see there is a "ridge" of sorts left all around the inside perimeter. Always happens, I never bothered to figure it out why this happens, I always just run a quick pass with an endmill around the perimeter at the proper depth to eliminate it, but thats an extra, unnecessary step and I could botch the whole thing if I messed up on the depth, and even if I get it perfect there will still be some evidence of it having been there. Allowance issue maybe ?
Attachments
soa2.jpg
Doug

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Re: Unwanted ridge

Post by ElevationCreations »

I haven’t had the opportunity to model in Aspire, however I had a similar problem to this in ‘reverse’ from placing a model in a dish and multiplying in VCP. I would get a rabbet around the carved dish of about .05”. It turned out to be a slight variation between dish size and the boundary vector of the multiplied model with the dish being combined. The two dishes were slightly off in dimensions from what I suspect was a scaling issue with “maintain X&Y” box checked . It wasn’t obvious and took a while to determine the cause.

If you have a file which doesn’t have the ridge, I would check to see if both files’ models are combined the same and if you have a vector boundary which matches proportionally between the two files.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I like the way you think elevation, I think you are on to something and am going to read your reply again tomorrow when my brain is functioning better. I will say this, after I have my models laid out and ready for toolpaths I draw a box around the whole thing in order for the design to "stand proud", most likely that box is a factor but still not clear to me why.
Doug

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Xxray,
Would it be safe to assume that you are using a larger bit for the roughing toolpath and a smaller for the finishing toolpath, and the "Selected Vector" option ?
If so, the issue is that the software calculates from the center of the bit.
Please see my examples.
In the " Roughing Toolpath " image you can see where a .25" end mill will cut when the cutting "On a Selected Vector" option is chosen.
In the " Finishing Toolpath " image you can see the results of using a 0.125" ball nose with the same "Selected Vector" option.
The last image show the combined results.

You can fix this by using the boundary offset option ( A negative number... -0.625 in this example ) in the roughing toolpath.

I hope this clears a few things up for you..
Michael
Attachments
Roughing Toolpath.JPG
Finishing Toolpath.JPG
edge 1.JPG
Offset.JPG
Combined.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Nice n clean, I like the way you think too !
Attachments
soa3.jpg
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Now I have a ridge surrounding the entire model [was likely there before just didn't notice it] Model height issue possibly ?
Attachments
soa4.jpg
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

So, any ideas about this ridge, been fiddling with it and can't get rid of it. Appears most prominently right to the side of the face, most areas of the model it isn't there at all.
Attachments
soa5.jpg
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Doug,

Looking at the picture it looks like the "ridge" isn't around the entire model, is it possible that your boundary vector is off just a tad?

Also check the depth of the pocket cut verses the model Max depth cut.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Doug,

Sorry you are still having trouble with that. If you want, you can private message a trusted person of your choice with a link to your Vectric file. The problem is hard to diagnose without seeing how the actual file layout and Toolpaths are setup. I know you cannot post the link publicly, but perhaps you would be at peace with letting that trusted individual take a peek at it to help you diagnose and get rid of the problem.

Another choice is to contact Vectric Support, along with the file, for assistance.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

highpockets wrote:Doug,

Looking at the picture it looks like the "ridge" isn't around the entire model, is it possible that your boundary vector is off just a tad?

Also check the depth of the pocket cut verses the model Max depth cut.
No individual boundaries around any of the models, I just drew a square around the whole thing so that they all stand proud and blend into the background
Attachments
IMG_3580.jpg
Doug

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Doug,

I PM’d you this morning, but it’s still sitting in my Outbox for some reason.

I know exactly what the problem is and how to correct it. There are a couple other issues I want to discuss with you regarding the Toolpaths, as well.

Do you have Skype? If so, I can share my screen and talk you through the procedures. (Shouldn’t take very long.)

Please send me a PM when you have a chance. I’ll go ahead and PM my contact info, and hope it doesn’t sit in my Outbox too long!

After we go through the corrective steps, you or I can summarize what was needed for the benefit of anyone following this thread.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Mike nailed it [as usual]. Issue was, had tip side angle of the ballnose at 15, changed it to 5 per his suggestion and the ridge disappeared.

15 was just a default, never noticed any issues with anything before so never thought about changing it, and would not have known the side angle if I did. Odd thing is, this computer I usually hash things out, experiment and do things that take time so am not concerned about toolpaths, I take the project, load it in my garage computer and thats where I do the fine tuning and run the toolpaths - On that computer, did not notice the ridge in the preview, and angle was the same. Somethings got to be different, but anyways Mike thanks for solving this annoying issue.
Attachments
soa6.jpg
Doug

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

You're welcome, Doug. Very happy to help!

I also PM'd a couple more recommendations regarding minor issues with the toolpaths and layout you may want to peek at before running the project. I hope they are helpful, as well!

For the "public record", the bit angle was indeed the main culprit causing the unwanted ridges.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Finally got it done, for some reason I was dreading getting started, certain I was going to ruin a prime piece of wood. turned out nice, this is pretty much fresh off the table, still have some sanding to do then of course a matte clear coat. Not to thrilled with thr lettering, a little deeper than I wanted which destroyed some detail, also the curve doesn't look like all it could have been. All in all pretty happy with it, thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_3629.jpg
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Yes the text could have matched the curve a bit better but once it is cleaned up & has a finish it may look better, think the fuzzies may be drawing your eye to it a bit which oviously won't happen once finished.
Maybe not something you want to do but you may be able to sand/skim a bit off the top of the curve which would shallow the text up a bit.

Looking good overall though & I am looking forward to seeing the finished job :lol: :lol: :lol: