2 Heart Stands...River Red Gum and Ebony

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

2 Heart Stands...River Red Gum and Ebony

Post by scottp55 »

I made my Dad a "Heart" out of River Red Gum in December(my first 2 sided 3D), and when my Mom saw it...I Knew I had to make one for her for Christmas by the wistful look on her face.
The first Quilted Big Leaf Maple stand I mucked up somewhere in transferring Heart dimensions...It didn't fit:(
Thought I had made a separate thread, but I buried it at the bottom of the second page of "Tiny BallNose" thread;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28146&start=15

Told Mom I needed her Heart back, to work on Her Stand and to make Heart "Shinier"....actually wanted it back so I could use it for test fit on Dad's Stand :oops:
Dad is failing fast, and requested a heavier stand with a secure fit to put on the side table next to the hospital bed they just brought into the living room for him(Home Hospice Care), so he couldn't knock it over easily, but could still look at and reach.
I have 2.5 billets of Macassar Ebony left from 23 years ago and use sparingly for accents and wedges, but the size was perfect,
and if a dying Father isn't "Ebony Worthy"...
I don't know what the heck is!
Ebony had developed a wicked cup to it, so decided to incorporate the woods shape in the design.
2.19.19 DAD'S STAND MACASSAR EBONY BILLET.jpg
Did a test cut with C-90 Torrefied Ash for a test fit, and material was flat so it was actually held a little TOO firmly I thought.
Jigged so top surface had the crown up, shimmed so sides were pretty even, and then Z-Zeroed to peak of crown so that Heart could be easier to grab, but still firmly held.
Cut with same 3" long .25"shank .25mmR Tapered Ball Nose as the Heart itself was cut with with a 4% stepover for smooth edges and minimal sanding.
No Roughing toolpath. Then put the font in later before unjigging.

All the rest was stationary belt sander(120-400G) a 4 degree bevel to match the wood's shape on the sides(and to make it a little less likely to Slip when picking up).
2.19.19 DAD'S STAND 3.jpg
And then hand sanding crown and cup by hand to 600G(and all surfaces/edges to match).
2.19.19 DAD'S STAND 1.jpg
2.19.19 DAD'S STAND 2.jpg
Only 1 pic has a coat of finish on it. Going to do second coat now.
WAS a rush job as my brother and I were going to Vermont to visit Dad Saturday....But brother got flu..and put it off a week for Dad's health.
Give me time now for more finish:)

Mom's is the "Scrap" of River Red Gum next to it in one pic.
2.19.19 MOM AND DAD'S STAND 1.jpg
She wanted it to hang AND spin when tapped as it's going on her mantle so she wanted it vertical.
Been playing with it with various ways..but think I've got it:)
Mom's Heart now has 10 coats on it,and stand only 4...but she like's the contrast, so it will only get a Beeswax finish next.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Re: 2 Heart Stands...River Red Gum and Ebony

Post by WNC_Ed »

Scott, you do such fabulous work.
The ebony stand is spectacular.
Mom's Heart looks beyond amazing.
Thank you for sharing.
You and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Maker of sawdust

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Scott, that is some beautiful work! :D :D :D

Gary

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the comments guys :)
(And Ed, thanks for the thought, and congrats on the case study...Nice to finally know your name is Ed too:)

Yep, not much CNC on the stands..but the Hearts were my first 2 sided 3D, and without Beki's "Bowl" tutorial I would have been a little stumped.

I'm avoiding 2 mistakes I made with my only prior CNC Ebony chunk project for Mom years ago!
I had wet sanded the Ebony with a Tung mix to 600G after surfacing top and bottom, and added 3 coats before I cut.
And Mom came in and I proudly handed her the chunk before cutting, and told her it would be the material her Christmas present would be made of, and she said;
"WOW that is Heavy!.....What kind of plastic is it?" :D
On this one I left small imperfections, did NOT wet sand, and carefully watching my finish so you KNOW it's wood!

Also on that first one, I learned Ebony(and Red Gum) don't like the heat generated by a stationary belt sander! So this one was a matter of 20-30 seconds sanding, and then letting it cool to just warm,over and over to put the 4 degree bevel on the sides.
Mom's from 3 years ago,got overheated when I sanded the end grain, and a stress crack developed and needed 2 butterfly "Twig" wedges, that kept it from spreading :oops:
12.25.15 FIRST MACASSAR EBONY CNC.jpg
12.25.15 MACASSAR EBONY CRACK.jpg

Got some VERY fine chips out of this cut...the only way to tell they're chips is magnification, and the way the direct sun reflected off them.
2.16.19 DAD EBONY .25MM TBN FINISH CUT.jpg
Got a nice portion of a freezer bag full now to use:)

Mom's Stand developed as those two River Red Gum "Scraps" just seemed to be aching to become something.
12.12.18 RIVER RED GUM SCRAP 1.jpg
One day while a bunch of 3D's were finishing....I decided to jig one up and play with for the 20 minutes I had to wait.
I pulled up the Heart file/renamed/ and eliminated everything but the Boundary.
Chucked one of the 3" long(about 5degree taper) Chinese 1mmR TBN's in, and did a spiral ramp Profile cut for a center of material cut plus the radius. Then gradually increased the Offset until it was cutting,and kept offsetting till all toolmarks were gone on the first side.
1.7.19 RIVER RED GUM 1MMR TBN SIDE FIRST.jpg
After wiping/brushing the 3D's off...I was ALL excited to cut the second side, and ALMOST ruined the scrap as that bit DOVE for the spoilboard!!! :oops:

I had taken the 2 sided 3D,and FORGOT to check my material set-up!!
It was set to Z-Zero to the same face! ALWAYS check your material set-up when using previous files!!
If I hadn't set my Jog speed low from a previous cut...it WOULD have been scrap! :D
More later, as Mom's is a little more demanding, and have to bend 18K wire before my next cuppa, and hands start shaking:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Scott I so enjoy your posts. Your vernacular comes across so smoothly when I read it I almost feel like I am sitting there with you or was present when you were checking something out. It really is a true gift to be able to hold others attention in this day and age. I also really appreciate all of the back stories on your various projects.

In reading this thread I finally seen a picture that really makes one appreciate the true scale of your work. In the background was a tray with many small buttons trinkets and what not. On the other side there was a picture of one of your infamous owls.

Heart felt prayers to you and your family for what you are going through right now. I know it is truly a difficult thing to go through. I recently lived it with my 92 year old father in law. The mind was still there and very sharp. The body though was just flat worn out.

I'll go and patiently wait for the next installment of the spinning heart photo series. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Dwayne!
Glad you like storytelling!! :)

Yep...you saw my dust collection of buttons. It has one of most every button we made....and a couple mistakes to remind me of stuff. (like Bloodwood3D doesn't like the jar to crack when doing the hot mix, and get boiled in water for a couple hours!) :)
(Really need to clean that:( )
You should see just about every other horizontal surface in the house!! :)

Hoped to have some pics today, but remembered all Mom's grandkids...and torture tested the copper protos a little and had to change a few things.
Funny...My friend in Oz took issue with "vernacular"...and I took at as a compliment that at least someone doesn't mind my train of thought style(even when the train leave the tracks:)
Thanks also for the thought!
May be inevitable, but at least when Dad dragged me kicking and screaming...inch by inch...into his CNC project, we got to know each other better,and said all the things that needed to be said!
So CNC has enriched my life! :D
scott

Oh..ALSO found out how much Mom loves the Heart....She was going to drop off some stuff the other day, and I just mentioned that I had just given it another coat...so she couldn't touch it.
She said "Ooh....do you really need this stuff today? or can I come tomorrow and touch it" :)
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Scott, I'm always amazed at the beauty of your work and finishes!!! Wish I had your skills and patience when it comes to finishing.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

As I told you in the e-mail John;
Thanks!! And oil is one of the most forgiving and easy to repair finishes out there....Does take longer,but it's worth it to me.

Went up to visit Dad Saturday and weather cooperated:)
GOOD visit as there was myself(oldest) and his two youngest sons:) Nice comfortable crowd:)

Stand was VERY well received, and gave his Heart, and my Step-Moms "Owl" another coat while I was there.
Dad and Joan REALLY loved the heft and finish of the Macassar Ebony...and Joan said it was a great contrast to make the Heart stand out.
Dad just sat there hefting it. rubbing it and looking at all the angles :)
I like that the Heart now is better protected from knocking over on his bedside table!
No Really good pictures of it in place, as I didn't take my SLR....last good pic with 6 coats on it the day before are shown.
(CAREFULLY tried to keep it from being Too shiny!).
NOT much difference from the last pics, as Ebony at 600G "Feels" finished:)
scott
Attachments
3.1.19 DAD'S STAND 6 COATS 1.jpg
3.1.19 DAD'S STAND 6 COATS 2.jpg
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Scott, beautiful finish and I know your Dad is going to pick it and handle it a lot.

Our thought and prayers go out to your family....
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the thought John!! :)
One effect of having sides at a 4degree taper, and finished so highly you have a hard time telling end grain except by pores....
was that when Dad set it down on his Mother's Cherry side table...He pointed out the reflections off the Macassar of the Cherry...made it appear to float from his chair viewpoint :)

Also, because the end grain of that piece was basically a straight line, the grain tended to follow the 3D Heart shape....I COULD have sanded it out, but left it.
ONLY 2 machine marks are where the bit lifted twice where the "lobes?"" of the Heart were, but left them so the grain feature was uninterrupted.

FUNNY, two Brothers and my Dad who are VERY CNC knowledgeable, when asked how I cut it, came up with versions of an Offset Cut strategy based on the grain layers :D
I said "Wrong...think about these these 4 little marks up here." and my brother from San Fran said they were remnants of the Roughing toolpath:)
Nobody thought that I Rastered across the grain starting at the point of the Heart without a Roughing path :)

Dad IS still with it:)
When I told him how hard it was recently to direct my hammer blows perfectly(compared to 10 years ago), He said "Take a piece of metal with the shape you want,lay it on the Copper/Gold,THEN strike it with the hammer." DUH!!! :oops:
Never needed to do it before...so never thought of it! :oops:

Step-Mom said he was happier and more alert while thinking about machining the wood and metal problems than she's seen him in weeks :D

Thanks again for all the good wishes folks!
scott
R.N.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hi Scott,

Thank you for sharing this beautiful project. This is one of the many things that I love about CNC projects, the ability to put your all into it, and the love you feel from others after it's been gifted.
Your family must be very proud of you :) and my thoughts go out to you and yours.

Thanks,
Beki
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the comment and the thought Beki! :)
scott
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hey Dwayne.....the tricky part of Gold in the Heart portion is done except for minor sanding and polishing.
FINALLY made 3 Copper ones in a row without work hardening to breaking point:)
So I went for the 18K gold, while I was on a roll.
Right shape and size pretty much...And I made my machine watch so IT could do it next time!!! :wink:

She's coming along, and just have to drill "Scrap" frame to depth, and then shape/cut/bang that little piece for a snug mechanical fit.

Next is Gorilla Gel CA practice with the 3 copper pieces on another scrap of Red Gum I did adhesive testing on, to see if I can insert the pieces and wipe off excess without any drips:)
Gorilla Gel surprised me when I tried to put the copper pieces out...and the copper broke before the CA did!
That'll have to wait until another day when caffeine levels are perfect like the 4 hours today:)

Know it's not CNC, but still happy, so showing it:)
scott
Attachments
3.10.19 MOMS HEART GOLD 1.jpg
3.10.19 MOMS HEART GOLD 2.jpg
3.10.19 MOMS HEART GOLD 3 TESTFIT.jpg
3.10.19 MOMS HEART GOLD 5 NEEDS POLISH.jpg
3.10.19 MOMS HEART GOLD 6 NEEDS POLISH.jpg
R.N.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Scott,
Very cool coming along quite nicely. Thanks for the followup post. Know your attention to details and scale I am sure this will be an eye popper when completed. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Dwayne....You're more patient than my Mom:)
Talking to to her yesterday, and told her I had spent 4 hours bending/beating copper/gold wire, and she said;
"how can it take so long to bend a piece of wire and hit it with a hammer?"
So I sent her the same pics as above.....and got THIS 10 minutes ago;

"These are beautiful! Thanks so much! You are so meticulous! Can't wait to see it finished!Love,Mom"

Read "meticulous"as Fussy...and hard to miss the "finished" :D
But things like this and the comments from you guys keep me Fussy:)
(Gotta keep the Customer happy!)

Yep...Shoulda just drilled a hole through the top and stuck a string through the hole and superglued it to the top of the heart, and I'd have been done 2 weeks ago. :wink:

WILL be glad when it's done, and can start carving again
(got the White Oak "Firewood" for a different Owl model(with LOTS of Feathers!) right next to keyboard...HUGE project..wood must be 4X5X14 INCHES!! :)
(either that or a Hop Hornbeam 12/4 slab top Utilitarian worktop I can ROLL under when beating metal to save my back!)

Only the finished pics to come of this project I promise!!! :D
THEN CNC stuff.
scott
R.N.