Fun Project

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Fun Project

Post by gkas »

I got a picture texted to me by my daughter-in-law. It was a board with some pegs sticking out of it. It looked like the Etsy type of thing. She wanted to know if I was able to make her something like it for her sister's wedding shower. .... and could I make it 'old looking'? Trapped right there with a leading question. No hurry, don't need it 'till May. Little did I know, these things are now very popular for weddings, showers, etc. in place of a cake. Who knew? I had to play 20 questions to know what to design, and what to make it out of.

After thinking on it a while, I remembered that cool Weathered Slat clock by Michael Tyler. I wanted to do something different, and that fit the bill. I loved the style, and the paint job. I'm shameless about borrowing ideas.

It is the largest in physical size that I've made at 2' x 3'. Just for fun, the lettering is extruded text. It's painted with a great gold reflective paint. I made the panel from a glue-up of cheap pine. The carve took about 12 hours for the rough and finish. I used a 1/8" tapered ball nose. I was really pleased with the outcome. It looked great.

I was worried about the painting since I had so much time in the carve. But, at least the wood was cheap. I started with a base coat of thinned SealCoat. Then I applied a coat of General Finishes Weathered Gray stain. I only rubbed a little off. Then I went from light to dark with other stains, sealing with flat clear after all the base coats were applied. I finished with judicious applications of stains for weathering. The final was applying the gold reflective lettering to the paint, then a flat clear coat. I finished with distressed pegs, and some slide-on feet. I did make the feet out of 3/4" Baltic plywood, so they wouldn't break.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, and I had a great time designing and making something so different.

Thanks Michael...
Donut Board.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Fun Project

Post by highpockets »

Well done! You taught me something, I had no idea that this would be something for a wedding etc... Do they put the donuts on the pegs?

Thanks for sharing.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Gerry,

What a cool project! You did an amazing job and the finish you applied looks incredible. You’ve got the technique down pat! Excellent work!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

highpockets wrote:Well done! You taught me something, I had no idea that this would be something for a wedding etc... Do they put the donuts on the pegs?

Thanks for sharing.
That was part of the 20 questions. At first I thought it was a one shot for some kind of shower game. I finally figured that it's a display board for donuts. You pick off your desired donut, and someone fills up the board as they are eaten. It's definitely a female thing.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

gkas wrote:
highpockets wrote:Well done! You taught me something, I had no idea that this would be something for a wedding etc... Do they put the donuts on the pegs?

Thanks for sharing.
That was part of the 20 questions. At first I thought it was a one shot for some kind of shower game. I finally figured that it's a display board for donuts. You pick off your desired donut, and someone fills up the board as they are eaten. It's definitely a female thing.
I Googled it and it's really a "thing", who knew? Makes more since than an over priced cake....
John
Maker of Chips

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Wow, you nailed it.
There is only one thing that could make that look better - a Dunkin Vanilla frosted donut with sprinkles hanging on it.
Of course having that project done so well and ahead of schedule, I bet you get tapped for another wedding project before May.
Congrats!
Maker of sawdust

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Well that is pretty cool. Looks like you have the finishing technique nailed down now. Me thinks you will definitely get hit up for something else for this wedding. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

prevel
Model of CNC Machine: Joes 4x4

Post by prevel »

That's really cool. Came out great.

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

Thanks, all. My only problem now is over using the technique. :? But, I made a Weather Station for a Christmas present. I made it from red oak with the holes for the three inserts. Normal, classic design. I bought an extra set of gauges for myself, but I haven't made it yet. I'm thinking weathered wood might be nice.... :roll:

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

Great job gkas, I never heard of a donut wall until last autumn when a bride commissioned one from me. The sign was V-carved and fastened from behind so the "wall" can be transferred to someone else and a new sign made.

Mark
Attachments
donutwall1.jpeg

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VERY nice texturing!!
May have been a long cut, but probably less time than locating a 100+ year old barn and getting your chainsaw out:)
(Never MIND saving getting a shotgun load of rock salt in your hind end from the ticked off farmers 10 gauge) :D
Well Done!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.