Vcarve and shapeoko, post processor issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
pixelmechanic
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Vcarve and shapeoko, post processor issues

Post by pixelmechanic »

I'm trying to do an inlay with Vcarve. I've only used VcarvePro for about a month now. I've been using the available shapeoko post processor that came with vcarve. When I make the clearing cut, everything works fine, but when I change to the final cut with the fine bit and reset the Z axis, it always seems to cut twice the depth in the z axis as it should. I've done similar procedures with other software with no issues. I'm wondering if I'm missing something regarding how the post processor is set up? Any help would be appreciated. I searched for post processor issues and it looks like nobody has had any concerns for 3-4 years.

Thanks

Joel

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Vcarve and shapeoko, post processor issues

Post by Adrian »

The inlay procedure has a toolpath that has a start depth and cut depth so if it's that toolpath you're referring to then it is correct that it cuts deeper than the cut depth as the effective cut depth from the top of the material is the cut depth and start depth added together.

pixelmechanic

Post by pixelmechanic »

The start depth is always set to 0. I set it for both the detail and using the larger bit for clearing. Whichever cut I do second, whether it be the clearing or the detail, is always deeper.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Are you resetting the z-zero correctly between bit changes? Does the Z move to the correct location if you command it via your control software after the first cut? If not you could be losing steps in the first cut.

pixelmechanic

Post by pixelmechanic »

I hope so. . .I set it the same way as when I change the bits with the job produced from my other software.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

What about the the Z movement? When the toolpath finishes does it return to the same level as when the toolpath started?

I don't see how it can be a post processor issue if it's only affecting one toolpath and not the other. Could you attach the CRV file of the job?

Donnie197
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL

Post by Donnie197 »

I’m having a similar issue.

I’m running Aspire and Carbide Motion with a Shapeoko 3 XXL. My clearing toolpath seems to cut fine. Then I run my 3D finish and it almost cuts thru the board. Carbide Motion also crashes with just over 60% complete. So I reran toolpath using UGS and when it gets to the point where the crash occurred the cut depth is at least .25” shallower.

Any ideas?

Donnie

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Are you using the inch or mm post processor?
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Donnie197

Post by Donnie197 »

Inch

Here's a pic of what is happening.
IMG_0301.jpg

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I've had an issue with the inch post processor in the past. It looked like the inch PP was generating a very large amount of digits (precision way beyond what was capable) and the Shapeoko would barf on it. I switched to the mm post processor and didn't have any issues with it after that. I never took steps to really diagnose it.

That said I've still had the weird thing occasionally after switching bits and zeroing. I've starting manually entering a G0Z30 command after zeroing to eyeball (yeah, that looks about 30mm) before starting the next tool path. Never had an issue after including that in my workflow.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

I use the GRBL post processor and have for years. The Shapeoko PP always gave me problems. Never had an issue with the GRBL PP.

Donnie197

Post by Donnie197 »

Thank you