3d NC topo map problem

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
edkeating1
Model of CNC Machine: x-carve

3d NC topo map problem

Post by edkeating1 »

First, I'm very new to all this so apologies in advance. I've been working with the attached V-Carve file and have successfully (to some extent) carved the 3d topo map of NC with a couple small problems.

When I preview the file, in the 2D view it looks like the (hopefully attached, this is my first post here) 2d Screengrab.
NC2dScreenGrab.PNG
But when I select a toolpath and preview in 3d, the river basins and some random areas around them entering the sound become inverted somehow which you can see in the (hopefully attached) 3D screengrab.

The original files came from the kind gentleman herehttps://makezine.com/projects/convert-g ... d-milling/.

I just can't figure out where I went wrong. If anyone has any ideas I'd be super-grateful. I fixed the first one with hand-carving knives, but I'd like to learn what I messed up.

Thanks!
Attachments
NC3D screengrab.PNG

edkeating1

Re: 3d NC topo map problem

Post by edkeating1 »

OK, the CRV file is too big. Drat.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

edkeating1 wrote:OK, the CRV file is too big. Drat.
No problem! Create a free DropBox account, upload your file to a Public Folder, then copy/paste the download link here.

Then your file can be downloaded for review.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Don't know why you're getting the reversed river beds. I tried the .stl file and it seems fine. You may want to apply smoothing and reduce Z so the mountains aren't so exaggerated. Give us a link to your file.
Attachments
nccut.jpg

edkeating1

Post by edkeating1 »

Thank you both for taking a look. I'm sure the problem is me...

Created a dropbox account and I think anyone with this link can get the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcia41u7fx8yy ... e.crv?dl=0

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

A couple things to try. In the finish tool path add a "Boundary Offset" of at least the radius of your finish tool, or try .2" You may need more to clear out Pamlico sound.
If V-carve has the option, create a boundary vector from selected component (the whole model of NC). And use that for your profile vector. Use as small an end mill as possible to keep the shoreline details.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Mike-S wrote:Don't know why you're getting the reversed river beds. I tried the .stl file and it seems fine.
Ah, but did you use a 14" x 7" job size as the original poster did?

edkeating1: for fun, change your roughing toolpath to use a 1/16" end-mill and preview it. That should tell you why you are getting "reversed river beds".

edkeating1

Post by edkeating1 »

You are right. That worked with a couple artifacts but those are easily managed.

I'm sure this will seem very dense, and I apologize for this and the nearly infinite number of other things I do not understand, but why? I feel like a lot of the Pamlico could be cleared with the 0.25 and the ball nose should pick off the rest?

Attachments
fixed NC.PNG

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

edkeating1 wrote:I'm sure this will seem very dense, and I apologize for this and the nearly infinite number of other things I do not understand, but why? I feel like a lot of the Pamlico could be cleared with the 0.25 and the ball nose should pick off the rest?
Not sure what a Pamlico is. Isn't there a Pimlico racetrack?

Draw a 1/4" diameter circle. Move over this Pamlico. See how much area this bit will fit into. Probably not much.

As for the ball-nose bit: you have "Boundary offset" set to 0.0 inches. That means the centre of the tool will go no farther than the edge of the model. It can't "pick of the rest" as it stands. You'll need to set that boundary to some value. Problem is it's going to need to be close to 1/4" to account for all the material that the 1/4" cutter can't remove. Which will mean doing so around the entire model.

Best option: see if VCarve can create vectors from the model boundary. The edit those vectors to only include only this Pamlico (make sure it is a closed area). Then create a pocket toolpath with a small bit (1/8" or under) and and an optional larger clearing bit (probably 1/4") using the closed Pamlico vector as the boundary of the pocket.

I hope this is clear for a Monday morning.

edkeating1

Post by edkeating1 »

Thanks for your help. I will work through it tonight hopefully. I have realized one of the misunderstandings I had about this. The Pamlico Sound is the largest sound on the NC coast, located just north of the middle of the eastern edge of the state from where the (Neuse) river enters to the barrier islands that make up the easternmost area of NC. The horse racing track is the Pimlico, where the Preakness Stakes is held, but I had to look that up :-)