Is a new Linuxcnc translator needed?

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Chris401
Model of CNC Machine: Self designed gantry machine

Is a new Linuxcnc translator needed?

Post by Chris401 »

Anyone setup a Linuxcnc translator. Vcarvepro seems to be outputting XYZ with all linear movements rather than XAZ when I specify and X parallel rotary axis. I can deal with this with multiple ini files in linuxcnc for different diameter parts but it seems inconvient compared to having. Now this is my first attempt to use a rotary axis so I might be missing something. Any advice from Linuxcnc users?

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Is a new Linuxcnc translator needed?

Post by 4DThinker »

The switching of axis directions is up to the post processor used. I do a lot of rotary work using LinuxCNC and a post processor provided by the company I bought my CNC from. It maps X to A though, and you need one that maps Y to A. What brand of CNC are you using?

Chris401
Model of CNC Machine: Self designed gantry machine

Post by Chris401 »

Ah, I am afraid I am on my own for support. Designed and constructed myself. I am a retired mechanical engineer/aircraft engine designer but wife wife just never understood the need for such a machine so making my own worked better.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I've uploaded a "wrap Y to A post processor" you might try. It should convert all your Y direction movements to A (rotary) movements. As you've made you own CNC I can't guarantee if it will work with your rotary axis/controller, but it is for LinuxCNC.
Emc2 Wrap YtoA(inch).pp
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
In VCarve or Aspire you can click on File>Open Application Data Folder... to see the PostP folder you should copy this to. You'll need to re-open the program to get it to show up on your post processor list.

4D