Cutting Box Joints

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

Re: Cutting Box Joints

Post by ezurick »

Tailmaker wrote:
jfederer wrote:Check out Fingermaker at tailmaker.net. I have been using it with great success. G. Burkhardt is a forum member.
Did you happen to read the user guide? Zero setting (chapter 11.e) and demo version limitations (chapter 5) are explained there.

The program lets create a variety of joint configurations but without license you can output gcode for testing only for rather simple ones, not including different board thickness.
You can optionally output a CSV file that in turn can be imported to Vcarve/Aspire with Paul Rowntree's CSV importer, although it requires additional effort. If you happen to have the Shopbot control software (with or without the machine), you can import and simulate g-code files directly
For further questions please email to (info"at"tailmaker.net). I guess this does not really belong here on the Vectric forum.
Sorry, but I seen nowhere of such a user guide. Looked all over the website. No support page and no manual that I could find. But my old eyes do deceive me sometimes.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

When you download the software and unzip...It's the .pdf FingerMakerGuide.
2019-02-01 05_40_02-InstallFiles FingerMaker pdf.jpg
Patience is a virtue Dwayne........UNTIL in changes into hopeless procrastination like ME :D
You should see that Normal height corner where it is.....I THINK the reason it got shelved was the gusset for the mortises was cut too small, BUT that Joint will never be perfect:(
Only had a 7 bit Starter Set, and my 1/8"BN was a 1/4" shank with a swage Onsrud.
I ignored(didn't read) the instructions, and as a total Newbie didn't take into account a ballnose need to cut half radius deeper for a clean cut through :oops:
AND THEN I added additional overcut!!
The swage hit all the way down the line and left gaps...
TOTALLY MY FAULT :oops:
Swage hit.jpg
Wrong Bit for the Job.jpg

Looking at that, when I dig it out, I'll probably make 2 more smaller gussets(decorative this time) on the ends.
Stock up on long straight BN's Dwayne! :D
Boy! Embarrassing remembering back to my "7 Bits" days!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Scott,
I don't know about the gusset, but the outside of that joint would look spectacular with a black epoxy filler hiding the ooops.
The fingermaker is in my future for sure.
Maker of sawdust

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks!

Normally like to keep my mistakes visible to remind me of things,But highlighting the faults from my beginner days would do the same thing for me.
AND other people would think I did it on purpose :D

JUST ordered some .125" BNs from Drillman 1(Oliver Tool?) that will let me do .75" to milled down 5/4....The program uses full cutting edge and stepover...so you have to have the CEL for material!
Was JUST at control computer to snag my FingerMaker License.....all old FingerMaker versions:(
Just started to read .pdf to check out new features...Aunt wanted a 6 sided box with finger joints on 5 sides glued and top waiting for her ashes...THAT was 4 years ago.
That makes my mind start to melt, unless I read up on it.

Thanks again..we'll see:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

scottp55 wrote:When you download the software and unzip...It's the .pdf FingerMakerGuide.
2019-02-01 05_40_02-InstallFiles FingerMaker pdf.jpg
Grrrr... told you my old eyes can be deceiving... lol. Apologize for the foolishness.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

After a single false start and extensive dialing-in of allowances, I have my first usable box/drawer using Fingermaker. It's best if one allows the software to make all the cuts except material thickness. I first tried to use pre-widthed boards, but setting the XY0 exactly right is next to impossible, leaving a minor offset at some corners. It also helps to use a good assembly clamp, such as the one on Tailmaker's website. Here are my first successful results.
First good drawer, second in assembly clamp.
First good drawer, second in assembly clamp.
Joint detail
Joint detail
P.S. The corner shown is of course the ONLY one without a grain match... 25% chance! The other 3 all have continuous grain.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

NICE Joe!!
I see you made one of the Box Clamps....Definitely on my Round Tuit list.

Yep...easy to do a continuous grain with the board just lying there flat.
Not much you can do with that last corner though:)

Was that with the Demo version and a .25" BallNose?

JUST got Drillman1's long flutes 1/8"BNs...but going to wait till driveway freezes solid again before hitting mailbox...Mud Season out there right now:)
scott
R.N.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Thanks Scott! I made 2 copies of the box clamp. First I just ran the code as distributed, then I edited in VCarve to make it larger in both dimensions. I also had to allow for the Russian "Baltic" Birch being only 17mm. The edits in VCarve were easy. I just finished adding the suggested springs so that the movable parts don't flop around as much. I had to look carefully at Tailmaker's photo on his site to get everything correct.

The fingers were cut with the paid version and the suggested 1/8" ballnose. I also ordered a bunch of ball and end mills from a Chinese supplier, I think they got delayed by their New Year's.

We have about 1m of snow on the ground in the Ottawa Valley, and today is the first day up near freezing. As long as I keep the path to the shop clear, I'm fine.
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

scottp55 wrote:Definitely on my Round Tuit list.
That's a GREAT idea! I think I'll make a bunch of Round Tuits for the craft show circuit this summer. A friend gave me one decades ago, no idea where it is, so I'll have to design one in VCarve Pro. A great use for some of the expensive scrap I've been creating while learning VCarve.

Thanks Scott!
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

3RoundTuits.jpg
Hey Scott, I ran a bunch of round tuits this afternoon. I had to dial in the circles but the text worked great on the first try. It was an opportunity for another learning experience... make SURE you've tightened the collet sufficiently! I had an end mill slip and break. No obvious harm done, so hopefully a cheap lesson. I plan to give the tuits away at tonight's Woodworkers Association meeting. Thanks for the suggestion!
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hey Joe,
The idea of Round Tuits was yours, and you ran with it:)
Actually a friend of mine had to MAKE me one out of colored acrylic in a color Nature never quite made, that's now in a South window to remind me I now have no excuse :)
TUIT AND SYDNEY OPERA.jpg
Aah...Full version with 1/8" bits...now serious options for boxes :D
On wrap around boxes, I had same idea as you, but tried Cherry thin stock(Ocooch) with interesting Heart/Sap lines and "checkering" on the other side....ALMOST got it right on the grain, but Mucked up on the "Glue Allowance"#...Way too loose to glue up(unless black epoxy or some such).
But will give you the idea for one board boxes that may not be "Plain Vanilla".
6.10.14  4X6X4 cherry box with checkering.jpg
6.10.14  4X6X4 cherry box with checkering inside.jpg
6.10.14  4X6X4 cherry box with checkering2.jpg
Bet they went over well at the meeting?
scott
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Oh Joe,
Your idea of "Scrap" is about the size of my "Projects" :D
Wait till you get into Paul and Damien's VCarve Inlays....almost nothing will be considered Scrap again :D
VINLAY TIN1 SCRAP.jpg
VINLAY TIN4 PURPLEHEART WENGE.jpg
TIN PURPLEHEART MAPLE 2.jpg
Yesterday's Muck should be frozen now, and last 2 days have melted most snow to bare ground...I can get Drillman1's 3" long 1/8" BN's out of mailbox.
Wonder how long it will take me to snap one :D
Glad to see you came running out of the gate:)
scott
R.N.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

The Tuits were all gone by the end of the meeting - all 8 of them. I did a short "show and tell" and told people that I had time for a rough sanding but they could do whatever they wanted with final sanding and finishing. All I actually did was sand off the tabs and clean sawdust out of the circle grooves - the cuts were clean. I kept 4 of the nicer ones for friends and family.

As for glue allowance, I'm using 0.004" on hard maple. That makes for a tight joint when dry, assembling in Tailmaker's assembly clamp goes pretty well. I think the glue actually lubricates the joints so they slide together with moderate pressure.

The current project is drawers for an office desk, so the scrap tends to be largish (5.5x18x0.625"). Only small or narrow pieces stay in the bin, I find smaller things to make with the "good" pieces. I expect to have quite a few tuits for the arts/crafts shows this summer! (And hopefully 1 completed desk....)
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Next time you find yourself in Ottawa, Joe and you are bored, I would be happy to have you drop into my shop and meet. I almost bought a Cancam router but the delivery schedule was too long. Tom
tom@thomasgardiner.ca

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

First "practical" project on the CNC was a round to it pendent holder.
Attachments
toit2.JPEG
toit1.JPEG
Maker of sawdust