Wood Board Thickness - erratic

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

Re: Wood Board Thickness - erratic

Post by ezurick »

Bob Reda wrote:The one topic no one has asked is are you using construction grade lumber or furniture grade? The moisture content is way different in each

That's an interesting question; however, we are talking about box store building wood. I don't think most of them carry furniture wood. I could be wrong. I asked one of Lowes customer reps in the wood dept about furniture wood and I got the deer-in-the-headlights response. I explained that I wanted precision thickness wood... He pointed me to the flooring area. I would have to drive over 50 miles away to get to an area that have craft stores. But I think Michaels or Hobby Lobby are limited in size? I might be wrong. I haven't ventured down there lately. Guess I might check it out sometime soon.

So where do you find the furniture wood?

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

dealguy11 wrote:Yes, just craft hot glue using a standard craft hot glue gun. The glue shouldn't stain the wood and even if it does, so what, since you're going to plane off the part where the glue was. You can gorilla glue the cleat to the sled if you like. I usually screw it from the back. If you keep the cleat shorter than the thickness of the board being flattened then it shouldn't engage the blades. It's only purpose is to make sure the sled gets pushed through the planer when the planer rollers engage the top of the work piece. Good luck!
So if I am understanding correctly... once you shim, glue and plane the first side on the sled, you just undo all that, flip it and plane it without the sled and glue since theoretically it is now flat? Sounds good. I assume you are using the glue to hold it in place so the shims don't move? This sounds interesting of a easy way around the erratic thickness problem.. thanks so much!

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Yep, you've got it.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

ezurick wrote: So where do you find the furniture wood?
My wife tells me that Michael's has a good selection of embroidery floss. I've also seen Balsa there. As for fine wood for furniture, you're not going to find it a Michael's. You need a dealer in fine domestic and exotic woods. The first place I suggest you look is at your local magazine retailer for a copy of Fine Woodworking. They have great articles, but more importantly for current purposes, ads for wood retailers. Many of them will ship. It's an entirely different environment than Lowe's or Home Depot. Of course, you will pay more.... but you will get quality wood and expert advice.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca