2 Tool Pocket Cut taking really long time

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
reynolpe
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve 1000mm

2 Tool Pocket Cut taking really long time

Post by reynolpe »

I am working on the sign below and I have everything working but the pocket toolpath clearing is fine but the detail pocket pass cut shows it will take 3.25 hours to clear. I am using 1/4" end mill for the clearing pass and then a 1/16" end mill for my non clearing pocket toolpath. If I use 1/8" end mill it saves 2 hours but will not cut all the letters out right. What I really wish I could do is add a third tool to the pocket toolpath, is this possible or a workaround to make this happen?

Using 1/8" end mill
With_1_8_inch_bit.jpg
Using 1/16" end mill
With 1_16 inch bit.png
Toolpath
Pocket Toolpath.jpg
Cut Time
Cut Time.jpg

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Re: 2 Tool Pocket Cut taking really long time

Post by Mobius »

What is your percentage stepover set to on the 1/4" endmill?
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Create a pocket toolpath with 1/4" clearance tool and a 1/8" finish (run both). Create a second pocket toolpath with 1/8" clearance tool and a 1/16" finish (only run the finish)
John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

reynolpe wrote:I am working on the sign below and I have everything working but the pocket toolpath clearing is fine but the detail pocket pass cut shows it will take 3.25 hours to clear.
It took a while to parse this one. How about the following:

Instead of one pocket toolpath, create two pocket toolpaths. One will use a 1/4" bit only and will use the vectors for you exiting toolpath.

The second will be for the letters only and will use a 1/8" and 1/16" inch bit. You will need to offset the outer borders of the letters 3/16". This should create a couple of "blobs" around the letters. Use these blobs and all the letter vectors for you pocket toolpath.

Notes about the 2nd toolpath. The 1/8" cutter should be able to do 1/8" deep passes. The 1/16" tool path could also use 1/8" passes as you are either shearing off a small amount of material or will be going between two letters for only a short amount of time.

This is sort of the same as what John was suggesting but gives a couple of benefits:
  1. don't have to remember to not run a toolpath
  2. the 1/16" cutter can cut deeper as it doesn't have to plow through so much material that was not cut by the 1/4" cutter
Hope this makes some sense.

EDIT: first pocket might need a 1/8" bit depending on the radius or the corners of the frame vector.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

highpockets wrote:Create a pocket toolpath with 1/4" clearance tool and a 1/8" finish (run both). Create a second pocket toolpath with 1/8" clearance tool and a 1/16" finish (only run the finish)
Genius!! Thank you. I shouldn't admit this but I thought about that but then all I could think is that I would have to wait while the 1/8" cut but not really cut anything. LOL

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

Mobius wrote:What is your percentage stepover set to on the 1/4" endmill?
1_4%22 Step Over.jpg

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

adze_cnc wrote:
reynolpe wrote:I am working on the sign below and I have everything working but the pocket toolpath clearing is fine but the detail pocket pass cut shows it will take 3.25 hours to clear.
It took a while to parse this one. How about the following:

Instead of one pocket toolpath, create two pocket toolpaths. One will use a 1/4" bit only and will use the vectors for you exiting toolpath.

The second will be for the letters only and will use a 1/8" and 1/16" inch bit. You will need to offset the outer borders of the letters 3/16". This should create a couple of "blobs" around the letters. Use these blobs and all the letter vectors for you pocket toolpath.

Notes about the 2nd toolpath. The 1/8" cutter should be able to do 1/8" deep passes. The 1/16" tool path could also use 1/8" passes as you are either shearing off a small amount of material or will be going between two letters for only a short amount of time.

This is sort of the same as what John was suggesting but gives a couple of benefits:
  1. don't have to remember to not run a toolpath
  2. the 1/16" cutter can cut deeper as it doesn't have to plow through so much material that was not cut by the 1/4" cutter
Hope this makes some sense.

EDIT: first pocket might need a 1/8" bit depending on the radius or the corners of the frame vector.
Thank you very much. The way you laid it out made total sense and I was able to remove all the toolpath's from my file and re-make them using what you have written up here and saved an hour of cut time at least calculated cut time. Great thing to remember that adding offsets like that are obviously not what you want visually but that does not matter it is just what is needed to get what you really want visually. I really appreciate the time you took to write all that up. Thanks

That goes for everyone else that helped as well. Thank you.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

Do any of you know if there is a 1/8" dia shank size x 1/16" cut diameter that will cut .33" deep?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Do any of you know if there is a 1/8" dia shank size x 1/16" cut diameter that will cut .33" deep?
Down Cut 2FL Spiral CNC Bit 1/16- w/1/2 LOC & 3/4 Length of Reach
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

reynolpe wrote:Do any of you know if there is a 1/8" dia shank size x 1/16" cut diameter that will cut .33" deep?
I can almost hear the "snap" from here! Be careful cutting that deep with a 1/16" straight end mill (shallow passes - wouldn't try cutting that deep in a single pass).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Drillman1 also has one...Never used this longer reach one, but hundreds of hours with the standard length version of this drilling buttonholes and such in woods up to Bloodwood hardness;
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-16-0625-CARBI ... :rk:5:pf:0

Highly recommend Drillman1 !
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

mtylerfl wrote:
reynolpe wrote:Do any of you know if there is a 1/8" dia shank size x 1/16" cut diameter that will cut .33" deep?
I can almost hear the "snap" from here! Be careful cutting that deep with a 1/16" straight end mill (shallow passes - wouldn't try cutting that deep in a single pass).
For sure it would not be a single pass it is set to 3 passes right now.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Down Cut 2FL Spiral CNC Bit 1/16- w/1/2 LOC & 3/4 Length of Reach
Thank you very much.

reynolpe

Post by reynolpe »

scottp55 wrote:Drillman1 also has one...Never used this longer reach one, but hundreds of hours with the standard length version of this drilling buttonholes and such in woods up to Bloodwood hardness;
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-16-0625-CARBI ... :rk:5:pf:0

Highly recommend Drillman1 !
scott
Thank you very much. I purchased it. For $5 if it doesn't work no big deal.