Revising Vectric post processor

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
katiegrampa
Model of CNC Machine: Magnum CNC

Revising Vectric post processor

Post by katiegrampa »

I would like to 'edit" my post processor I'm using for V Carve Pro to revise the Z HOME position, but I'm not sure how to get to and open the post processor. Anyone done this before and can give me info? Thanks in advance!! Ed

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Revising Vectric post processor

Post by SteveNelson46 »

In VCarve, select the file menu then select "Open Application Data Folder. Then open PostP. If you put anything in the MyPostP folder it (they) will be the only thing in the list.
Steve

katiegrampa

Post by katiegrampa »

Thanks Steve..I am now able to get into the PP but I'm not understanding all that I'm seeing. What I was expecting to see in reference to the Z Home was .800" which is what all of my programs display and produce. What I AM seeing as the home Z (as well as home X & Y) is 1.4. I want the X & Y to remain the same (which shows 1.4 as well, but goes home to 0.000. What I want to do is revise the current location of Z home to 2.00" (to clear all clamping) instead of the current .800". Any advice on why the PP shows 1.4 but in actuality returns to X0.00 Y0.00 and Z0.800? Thanks for getting me into the processor but I'm still not sure what to change it to in order to get the result I'm wanting.

Ed

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The home z etc is set on the Material Setup on the toolpath tab (press the Set... button). The post processors uses variables based on the values set there rather than hard coded values (unless someone has already messed about with it) so changing the post processor wouldn't be the right way to go about it.

There is a guide to what all the variables etc in the post processor mean in the Help menu.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If you read the PP manual, you'll see that the 1.4 you are seeing is the format of the numbers, and not an actual position.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

katiegrampa

Post by katiegrampa »

ger21..

Thank you for setting me straight on that but what I'm trying to accomplish is to RESET my current Z HOME height from .800" to 2.00" so that when the tool moves from X&Y home to its first cut and back to home on the last cut the tool raises up to 2.00" to miss whatever clamps I may have in the way. I am 'thinking" that this is accomplished in the PP, is this correct and if so how do I revise the PP to get the 2.00 height ONLY when going to and from home position? I currently go into the actual Gcode and edit these heights EVERY time I generate a program. I would like it to be permanent in the PP (or so I think??)

THANK YOU!!!

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

The home z etc is set on the Material Setup on the toolpath tab (press the Set... button).

As Adrian pointed out the z height you are seeking to change is set in the material setup dialog when picking your toolpath strategy. I would copy a screenshot for you but am not at my machine right now.
In the help files look up safe z height that will get you where you want to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

katiegrampa

Post by katiegrampa »

dwilli9013

That makes sense and I can see the settings but HOW do I change them? My settings show Safe Z is @ 0.2 and home position is X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.800 but HOW do I get them to change? I click on them and nothing happends how do I 'release" them to allow change? THANKS AGAIN...I'm getting close but not understand it yet :cry:

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

katiegrampa wrote:dwilli9013

That makes sense and I can see the settings but HOW do I change them? My settings show Safe Z is @ 0.2 and home position is X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.800 but HOW do I get them to change? I click on them and nothing happends how do I 'release" them to allow change? THANKS AGAIN...I'm getting close but not understand it yet :cry:

Pick on the box with the .800 number enter your value and hit enter. Not sure but I think you actually have to be doing an actual toolpath to make these values stick as they are live numbers which you are allowed to change on the next job. should you choose to not change the values your next toolpath will inherit these values for subsequent toolpaths. The Safe Z is the amount the tool will pick up to rapid to the next point in your carving. IE: your bit comes to the end of a letter in a string of text. The bit then picks up .2 from the surface and traverses to the next letter in the job. After all carving is completed the Z axis will raise to 0.800 from the surface and return to home. This is the number you will want to change to 2.00 if you are looking to clear clamps and other obstacles. The machine will also raise to this height in order to traverse to the point of the first cut. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

katiegrampa

Post by katiegrampa »

dwilli9013

OK...Obviously, I'm not understanding what you are telling me....there is nothing to pick, or click on that will allow me to change the .80 height in the toolpaths section that I can find. I "try" to click (and expect a curser) but nothing happens as if I'm in the wrong place to change this setting. I don't have a "box...only says home position x:0.00 Y:0.00 Z 0.80 what am I not understanding that you are telling me? SORRY to be so dumb but I just understand why it's not changing.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

These are the boxes you need to look at.
one.JPG
two.JPG

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... -z1-and-z2

Take a look at this. This should clear it up for you. :lol: :lol:

Here is another forum topic to help further clarify.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10398
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli