Mistake and Recovery

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Mistake and Recovery

Post by adze_cnc »

A recent post by "scottp55" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31377 brought to mind a project that went woeful wrong but was thankfully less than a 1/16" from disaster.

It was the beginning of the second side of a double-sided job. The hold-down failed and a 3.5" thick oak blank "walked" up the length of a bit projecting 3.5"+ Thankfully I stopped proceedings before the bit could encroach into the "model".

Steven
Attachments
Impaled.jpg
shift embedded.jpg
ImpaledLength.jpg
ImpaledLifeGoesOn.jpg
shift.jpg

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Re: Mistake and Recovery

Post by WNC_Ed »

Whew ... great save!
Looks awesome.
Kind of a pot belly look.
Love it!
Maker of sawdust

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

WOW! 3.5"!!
Lucky you didn't get a carbide Inlay Steven! :)

Yep, mistakes teach us more than a perfect cut every time.
Like someone I respect says "Sometimes 90% of a job can be the hold down"
BOTH of us could have had nice little fires if we weren't right there.

Did you nudge model a little afterwards, or just take REALLY careful measurements, and say "WHEW!"

Very Pleasant shape to the "Bowl?"...I LIKE it!
What's the Inlaid "Stripe"(?) Steven?
You have a shot of the top?

Thanks for the mention, and the post! :)

scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

It was hollowed out to contain some small computing device, RFID transmitter, and lighting. The band was some sort of acrylic. It was capped by another bit of oak.

I can't quite remember what the student's project was but eight years on I expect the computer aspect would take up not much more space than a key fob. Which is a shame as this object was quite tactile and pleasant to view.

Steven
Attachments
Near miss. Gouged area encroaches on bit kerf.
Near miss. Gouged area encroaches on bit kerf.
Top view of object with its "tail" (10" l x 7" w x 3" h)
Top view of object with its "tail" (10" l x 7" w x 3" h)
inside.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Steven:)
Hope it's still out there somewhere and repurposed....WAY better than a Tupperware container as far as looks go! :)

Yep..still amazes me the tech pace. House was designed with a top end Gateway that cost $7K, and now.....
Read a old sci-fi book last week where the end of the world could be avoided if only they could free up one of the few 10GB computers :D :D

Thanks again Steven!
scott

Oh:) In 2015 Shopbot software had a bug that only happened IF you paused the run while Z was retracting(quickly fixed), BUT I was doing a "Lady in the Woods" on some scrap..
I pressed Resume and the .125" shank 30 degree started diving....Finger was on the Spacebar Pause button...so no collet nut marks AND I missed Her foot thank goodness.
Considered in some circles Impolite to drill a hole through a Lady's foot!
Wound up making the left one for the gift instead...kept the right one to remind me to stay close to the machine!
Attachments
2 Ladys 2.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

adze_cnc wrote:A recent post by "scottp55" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31377 brought to mind a project that went woeful wrong but was thankfully less than a 1/16" from disaster.

It was the beginning of the second side of a double-sided job. The hold-down failed and a 3.5" thick oak blank "walked" up the length of a bit projecting 3.5"+ Thankfully I stopped proceedings before the bit could encroach into the "model".

Steven
Good save but wait! You carved that pot belly legs out with an end mill? Is that a 1/4" end mill I see? Or was that just the rough cut?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

End-mill was for roughing only. Ball-end for finishing (image sort of shows that).

This was done when I was green. Today I'd have multi-stage roughing strategy to avoid having to rely on one cutter only.