Tool for Finish 3D No Edit?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool for Finish 3D No Edit?

Post by Adrian »

Videos tend to be less ambiguous. As this thread has shown it's possible for people to read text and come up with different interpretations of what it means. That's rarely the case with videos. Younger generations seem to, on the whole, much prefer video instructions to written instructions. Personally I'm a bit of both. If I want to learn to spray paint I'll watch a video whereas with software, nine times out of ten, I read the manual/help file.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

From Aspire 9 manual:
Rough Machining is used when carving 3D parts to clear away excess material when the part is too deep for the finishing tool to cut in a single pass.
Finish Machining is used to machine the final pass on the finished 3D part.
"final pass" suggests most of the model has already been cut.

Adding the note Randall suggested is obviously useful to make it totally clear, but nothing is really missing.

Roughing then finishing is a general practice in 3D machining, so it's not supposed to be detailed in the software manual.

But I think it should be added to Vectric's Intro-To-CNC-Vectric2013.pdf. This is a very good document, but this explanation is lacking and this 2 step process is not obvious for 3D CAM beginners.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

But remember your writing an instruction manual for someone who has Zero experience in CNC or machine shop standard practice.

I am using VCP 9.5 not Aspire and I have been using it since 2008. Also in the past I have used the Design and Make 3D machinist with the toolpaths done and just imported into VCP.

You need both videos and documentation with an index.. which Vectric has done. :)

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

wmgeorge wrote:But remember your writing an instruction manual for someone who has Zero experience in CNC or machine shop standard practice.
I disagree on this point. It is a software manual, not a general CNC manual. It can't deal with all the CNC issues and practices.

jeffsawdey
Model of CNC Machine: 8 Pro

Post by jeffsawdey »

Thanks, I am relatively new to cnc and recently purchase some 3d models. They all had .25 bn for the rough cut and I had been only using .25 em for the rough. Is there a brand/model of .25 bn that has served you well?

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

jeffsawdey wrote:Thanks, I am relatively new to cnc and recently purchase some 3d models. They all had .25 bn for the rough cut and I had been only using .25 em for the rough. Is there a brand/model of .25 bn that has served you well?

I am not sure why anyone would want to use a ball nose to rough out a 3D carve. Just doesn't seem practical to me. If it were me... I'd stick with the end mill for roughing out the waste. Plus the ball nose would add so much more time to the job... just doesn't make sense. Especially for large objects. Depending on size and depth... some of my 3D jobs rough out and already take a good hour or 2 with an end mill. That could doule with a ball nose.