Cutting Box Joints

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
monalek
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Cutting Box Joints

Post by monalek »

I have a question, I would like to cut box joints on only the ends of boards to form a box with no bottom or top, I am trying to only cut on the ends of the boards. Is there a method or process to design this in box gadget? It always specifies a box joint on the long edge. I don't want that.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cutting Box Joints

Post by Adrian »

Which box creator gadget are you using as there's a few around? Generally you have to break the rectangle into separate spans and then select the one you want to use but it varies from gadget to gadget.

monalek
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by monalek »

I am using the Box Creator gadget from the Vectric site.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Check out Fingermaker at tailmaker.net. I have been using it with great success. G. Burkhardt is a forum member.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

jfederer wrote:Check out Fingermaker at tailmaker.net. I have been using it with great success. G. Burkhardt is a forum member.
Thanks, appreciate the plug :) let me know if anybody has a question.

GB

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

+1 for FingerMaker!
Even though I was a Newbie using a Beta version :)
Can't cut a board on edge with my machine...so cutting flat on spoilboard was a HUGE plus!
Try the free trial version:)
scott
Attachments
6.3.14 Fingermaker Beta2 box 1.jpg
wax 3 TB2 box Cherry Walnut.jpg
WAX8.jpg
6.10.14  4X6X4 cherry box with checkering.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Wabeco F1410 LF-C HS; Sorotec AL1110

Post by vip-klaus »

@scott:

the FingerMaker tool sounds great. I think, it is a standalone software, right? Is ist possible to import the generated g-code into Aspire for further modifications?

Klaus

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can't import g-code into any Vectric software.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Yes Klaus,
Stand Alone.
But That was like Beta 1,2,and 3(?)...and haven't needed a box OR read G's updated instructions for the latest version. :oops: :oops:
I was so scared back then of a .tap file without a preview....I drew a VCP7 file for it and the temporary X,Y 0,0 Zeros needed. And cut floor pocket in VCP as well as the cutout:(
6.4.14 VCP7 G 9X5 BOX 1 LAYOUT.jpg
Best to download Demo version, and see if it would do what you need.
DO know G. has added MANY new features since then!!
The permutations in even in the Beta versions was boggling, and that box joint was just from one of the templates in the program.
Sorry not more help, BUT POSITIVE Adrian is correct :)

Kind of ashamed I haven't got back into it again yet, but having too much fun with other stuff:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

monalek wrote:I have a question, I would like to cut box joints on only the ends of boards to form a box with no bottom or top, I am trying to only cut on the ends of the boards. Is there a method or process to design this in box gadget? It always specifies a box joint on the long edge. I don't want that.
Box joints are very easy to manually program.

If you are using a 1/4" bit, and want 1/4" wide fingers, just draw a series of vectors 1/2" apart, and cut ON the line.

If you want wider fingers, draw rectangles the width of the finger, with the same space between them, and pocket them to the desired depth.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

jfederer wrote:Check out Fingermaker at tailmaker.net. I have been using it with great success. G. Burkhardt is a forum member.
Success? Do you mean after tons of trial and error? I been looking at that program and although I think it is really neat, it lacks simple guidance. I mean, it generates its own g-code... but there was no where to say where my XYZ will start. I tried to simply generate the g-code and it error'd saying the board thickness must be the same and max of 4 fingers; although it let me generate random one before I switched to inches. Too many confusing settings. I searched youtube.. zilch. I am not sure why anyone would make a program with such a dangerous machine to not provide some simple guidance and instructions.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

ezurick wrote:
Success? Do you mean after tons of trial and error? I been looking at that program and although I think it is really neat, it lacks simple guidance. I mean, it generates its own g-code... but there was no where to say where my XYZ will start. I tried to simply generate the g-code and it error'd saying the board thickness must be the same and max of 4 fingers; although it let me generate random one before I switched to inches. Too many confusing settings. I searched youtube.. zilch. I am not sure why anyone would make a program with such a dangerous machine to not provide some simple guidance and instructions.
Did you happen to read the user guide? Zero setting (chapter 11.e) and demo version limitations (chapter 5) are explained there.

The program lets create a variety of joint configurations but without license you can output gcode for testing only for rather simple ones, not including different board thickness.
You can optionally output a CSV file that in turn can be imported to Vcarve/Aspire with Paul Rowntree's CSV importer, although it requires additional effort. If you happen to have the Shopbot control software (with or without the machine), you can import and simulate g-code files directly
For further questions please email to (info"at"tailmaker.net). I guess this does not really belong here on the Vectric forum.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

ezurick wrote:
Success? Do you mean after tons of trial and error?
I had a single false start. It was due to not reading the user guide with sufficient attention. Once I set the XY0 to the centre of the design I had no further problems. With the demo I cut a simple 4-finger test piece, then purchased the full version. I've had no problem designing a nice symmetrical 17 finger (on the 2 faces) joint. It only took a couple of tests to dial in the glue allowance, now I have nice tight corner joints that will look great once glued and sanded. The key, as in most software, is RTFM.

BTW, the detour has been in running Gert's assembly clamp project... available on his "Free" page.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

For people like me that have to cut flat..It at least should be mentioned Tailmaker.

Trial version does have limitations naturally, but it did the box above in the Beta version.
NOT intuitive to me,AND I didn't read all the instructions in the very excellent detailed instructions included.
I admit I did some aircuts as I was a Newbie, but full version even 4+ years ago opens a wide range of designs!
Even if you just want a single decorative joint like this I did 4 years ago(but never glued up, as it got put on a shelf to start button production and forgotten) :oops: )
scott
Attachments
6.2014 SF AB SHELF 1.jpg
6.2014 SSF AB SHELF 4.jpg
6.2014 SF AB SHELF2 SUPPORT TO BE CUT 5X5.jpg
R.N.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Cmon Scott.........Really want to see that finished joint. :lol: :lol:
Just emailed Tailmaker with some questions yesterday. Think I want to give this a run. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli