Best sealant to prevent glue-staining in Zank V-Inlay

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Best sealant to prevent glue-staining in Zank V-Inlay

Post by laflippin »

I've started doing a lot of Zank V-Inlay projects using redwood for the female engraving and various yellow woods for the male inlay. I generally use Titebond III for glue-ups because it is very strong and moisture-proof, but it sure does discolor redwood--makes a dark purplish-gray penumbra on redwood which must be sanded quite a bit to fully remove. (Of course, on really intricate inlaid regions too much sanding can essentially "erase" the inlaid wood).

FixitMike kindly suggested pre-sealing the female workpiece before glue-up in order to attenuate the glue-stain problem, and others have at various times suggested that Titebond II might be closer to stainless, at least compared to TB III. Still others seem to swear by cyano acrylate glue.

I'd like to know what specific sealants folks here think are best suited for prevention, or at least reduction, of glue-stains on redwood?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Best sealant to prevent glue-staining in Zank V-Inlay

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Do NOT use TiteBond II on redwood. Titebond original is fine with redwood.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

Try the "Clear Gorilla Glue" (not the original brown or white PVA one or the CA). It is water clear and does not foam, stain or smudge with ample open time. Easy to sand as well. I use it for all detail assembly work and joinery lately.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Tailmaker wrote:Try the "Clear Gorilla Glue" (not the original brown or white PVA one or the CA). It is water clear and does not foam, stain or smudge with ample open time. Easy to sand as well. I use it for all detail assembly work and joinery lately.
+1 but make sure it is the clear gorilla glue. There is a difference.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

turkey.JPG
Thought I'd update this thread with some recent experience. Picked up a gallon of Rain Guard sealant for about $10 and sponged it on to a piece of redwood that I had engraved with some scrollwork patterns and a wild turkey image. Did the glue-up with male workpieces carved from clear pine using Titebond III which usually stains the hell out of redwood. Long story short, the sealant really helped. Very little glue-staining was apparent, so sanding the project to an acceptable finish was very easy after cutting off the waste backing. Coated the sanded board with satin-finish polyurethane.

I happily recommend FixItMike's suggestion to use a sealant for reducing glue stains in delicate Zank V-Inlay projects.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thanks for the follow-up and photo, Lee. Your inlay looks great!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC