Drawing a radius

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
MHB
Model of CNC Machine: Limac R3103

Drawing a radius

Post by MHB »

Could someone please explain how to draw the 1.5" radii that are located at the top of the drawing that is attached.
Attachments
Sled.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Drawing a radius

Post by highpockets »

Not to scale, but draw square corners then use the fillet drawing tool.
Image 333.png
Image 334.png
John
Maker of Chips

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Assuming that the two arcs are tangent without a line between them.
From the dimensions on the drawing, the horizontal distance between the lower and upper points where the arcs are tangent to the horizontal lines is 2.5". Therefore, the two arcs will touch each other half way between or 1.25" from where they touch the horizontal lines.

1. Start by drawing 3 vertical lines 1.25 " apart. The center line is where the arcs will contact each other.
2. Draw a 1.5" radius circle with the center on the lower end of the right hand line.
3. Trim the circle to make an arc between the 2 right hand lines.
4. Draw a horizontal line from the intersection of the arc and the center line.
5. Mirror the arc about the center line.
6. Mirror the 2nd arc about the horizontal line.
The drawing shows the process.
Construction.png
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Mike, good information, but way over my head :D :D :D I'd rather let the program do the work for me. :lol:
Image 335.png
Image 336.png
John
Maker of Chips

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Highpockets,

The only mistake you've made is that based on the given dimensions the width of the S curve should be 2.5" and you've made it 3". 1.25" width for each half rather than 1.5" (a full quarter). The height of the S curve isn't 1.5" but rather 1.3424" based on what Aspire tells me after constructing the drawing.

4D

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

MHB wrote:Could someone please explain how to draw the 1.5" radii that are located at the top of the drawing that is attached.
MHB:

One thing that is missing is the overall width of this object (i.e. 2.5 plus ?)

According to 4DThinker (and Aspire) when he posted his sample it is 2.5+1.3424 = 3.842 which seems to me to be wrong.

There appears to be 3 components to the s-curve as pictured: two sections of a 3-inch diameter circle and one short, straight, connecting line. The other solutions presented here presume that the two arcs connect directly.

I could be wrong as I haven't actually tried to draft your object.

Steven

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

4D,

Thanks for the correction. That's what I get for messing with this stuff before coffee :lol:
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Capture.JPG
The part appears to be 4.00 tall after scaling this all up in Corel to where it made sense.

All you need to do is create a line parallel to the 2.5 surface and move it up 1.5 inches.

The location for the arc tangent to the top surface is given. So draw it. Then offset that circle by 1.5.

Where the large circle and the top line cross is the center of the radius. Then it is just a matter of trimming things up.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

TReischl wrote:The part appears to be 4.00 tall after scaling this all up in Corel to where it made sense.

Where the large circle and the top line cross is the center of the radius. Then it is just a matter of trimming things up.
4" makes more sense than 3.842".

But! Try your method on the left side and you'll find that the circle intersects with the flat at 10.9019" and not the 11" as implied by the original drawing.
Attachments
geometry.jpg

MHB
Model of CNC Machine: Limac R3103

Post by MHB »

The height of the object is 4" - sorry that I left this out. Thank you all for the different approaches. I had absolutely no idea on how to go about accomplishing this.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

adze_cnc wrote:
TReischl wrote:The part appears to be 4.00 tall after scaling this all up in Corel to where it made sense.

4" makes more sense than 3.842".

But! Try your method on the left side and you'll find that the circle intersects with the flat at 10.9019" and not the 11" as implied by the original drawing.
I do not think there is any flat between those two arcs. What I know for certain is that whoever drew that up is definitely not a professional draftsman/engineer. I spent the early part of my career as a tool designer working on the board. I can guarantee that if I had dimensioned to where an arc is tangent to a flat I would have been looking for a new job.

If one works the drawing from the left end, with the dimensions given, it would definitely require a flat between the two arcs as you indicated.

With the way this person dimensioned the drawing I would not imply anything about it. We all know if this went to a machine shop he would be getting a call asking him what he really wanted.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

The part can't be 4" tall if the S curve is composed of two tangent arcs 1.5" radius and 2.5" apart where they are also tangent with the top and the center flat. Even if there should be a flat between them. I drew a 3" circle, Exploded it to leave 4 separate 1/4 circle arcs. I drew a vertical centerline and offset it both side so they were 2.5" apart. I let those 2 lines chop the arcs to leave 1.5" r arcs that were 1.25" wide. Their height when combined is 1.3424" not 1.5" Add 1.3424 to 2.5 and you don't have 4". 3.8424" is the what Aspire reports.

4D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Well, 4D, like I said above. . . . no real draftsman dimensions anything to a tangent point. For exactly the reasons we have all been discussing. Besides, it is virtually impossible to measure to a tangent point since there is no "feature" at a tangent point.

Since we have both been around the block more than a few times we also know that there is about a 1 in a trillion chance this part is supposed to be 3.8424 tall.

The flat that would be created would not result in a nice smooth transition, there would be an edge since the circles overlap when using the "dimensions" on the left side of the drawing.