2 Rail Sweep

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
mcsteve
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD

2 Rail Sweep

Post by mcsteve »

I recently watched a Tips and Tricks video that demonstrated the 2 Rail Sweep technique for frames and this set off a light bulb for me to create some shallow dishes I have been thinking of but have not gotten to yet. When looking in VCP 9.5 to try this feature I discovered this was an Aspire feature. My question is: "can this be done also with VCP 9.5 in some other way or is this something I requires Aspire"?

Thanks all in advance.

Steve

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: 2 Rail Sweep

Post by highpockets »

You might try the Moulding Toolpath....
John
Maker of Chips

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Also you can use the fluting toolpath with closely spaced vectors. See some of my previous posts. Click on my handle and search my posts for "fluting".
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

I have not yet done any work with the moulding functions so I will need to work on that one. I'm not sure of the Fluting will achieve the effect Ii am looking for since most of the pieces of the material I have to work with are round and oval. I have used the various modes of domes/dishes to work on the round pieces but find the slope of the walls are quite shallow and don't really provide the overall depth I am looking to achieve. Basically I am trying to do what really should be done by turning on a lathe but that is not a tool I have at this point.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It will definitely work with the fluting toolpath, it's just more work to setup than the moulding toolpath but it was the only option before the moulding toolpath was introduced which is why you will find a lot of examples of how to do it that way on the forum.

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

So I did some work with the Fluting toolpath with somewhat surprising results. I used log segment from a Locust tree we cut down last year. It was a small 6.6 x 6.5 x 1.75 piece but the bit depth is limited so I don't think I would want to go much deeper. I set the segment area to 5.75" and created 60 segments to ensure I had a significant amount of crossover in the passes. As well, I stepped the bit up to a .5" ball nose on a .5" shaft as I wanted to ensure the stability of the bit. This also provided a slightly larger flat on the bit because of it's manufacturing design. I'm not sure why but my .5" ball nose bits on .25" shafts are more round and have a smaller flat (if any). The whole process took about 40 minutes to run but I think it turned out fair. The cross over lines were pretty easy to eliminate with an 80 grit sponge and then finished with a 180 and 220. It was sealed with a butcher block sealer as I think it will be used as a nut dish.

The next step will be to see if I can get similar results using various shapes and profiles with fluting.
Attachments
Prepping the segment
Prepping the segment
Prepping the finish side
Prepping the finish side
Fluting using the 1/2" ball nose
Fluting using the 1/2" ball nose
After all of the tool paths were completed.
After all of the tool paths were completed.
After I treated it with the Butcher Block sealer I thought mayber this could be used instead of added to the scrap pile for burning.
After I treated it with the Butcher Block sealer I thought mayber this could be used instead of added to the scrap pile for burning.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Very nice!!!

Here's it is using Moulding Toolpath....
Image 322.png
Image 321.png
John
Maker of Chips

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Moulding looks like it will add some interesting variation to the process. I stared watching the tutorials last night and will try to use it this week in a trial.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Adrian is correct!
It USED to be the ONLY way to do stuff, but STILL a Very a powerful tool!
3 OUT OF 6 TOOPATHS WERE FLUTING.jpg
[8.31.14 FLUTING SURFACE PUTZ].jpg
[8.31.14 FLUTING SURFACE PUTZ1].jpg
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

So one thing I have discovered is that closed profiles always apply the moulding to the outside of the profile. How do you get it to apply the profile shape to the inside? I have created a few paths which use a small center radius as the rail but this pretty much limits me to round or square shapes if I want them to develop onto a bowl or other similar shape, such as the image below.

Steve
Attachments
Bowl Moulding Test Round Image.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

You can create a lot of shapes using the Moulding Toolpath. You just have to get creative.
Image 329.png
And Michael shows us all what you can do if you're really talented... http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=15
John
Maker of Chips

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Thanks for the link to that threat John. It sure did shed some light onto some additional techniques. It had not dawned on me to split a profile to allow use of the moulding tool path to the "inside". My head was stuck in the complete profile itself. Time to generate some chips and see what I can do with this.

Steve