Rotary maching Violin neck in V9.5

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
woody1
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Rotary maching Violin neck in V9.5

Post by woody1 »

Hi there,

I am still on V 4.5. Thinking of upgrading but as a hobbyist and a pensioner I cannot upgrade if I am not sure V9.5 can do what I want.

I have been trying to carve a violin neck on my rotary axis for years using V4.5. Only way I get it right is to do the one side, flip it 180 degrees and do the other side. Then I have to to the peg box and flutes by hand. I want my CNC to do the complete neck.

Looking for somebody with a 4th axis. I will send you my STL file and you see if V9.5 can machine the neck in one operation.

Looking at the V9.5 trial program, it looks much more promising than what V4.5 renders.

Thank you
More active on the www.mechmate.com forum.
Search Kobus Joubert Brakpan and see what I am up to.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Rotary maching Violin neck in V9.5

Post by martin54 »

if you have the trial version then you should be able to see for yourself if it will do the whole job, what does the toolpath preview look :lol: :lol:

The toolpath preview is very accurate so what you see in that is what you will get if you machine it :lol:

Dale Vanderlaan
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom 8 Pro

Post by Dale Vanderlaan »

I have Aspire 9.5 but no 4th axis and I've been building a 'prototype' cello for the last year. I decided to try to make the neck and scroll as 2 pieces to be glued together later. This would save a lot of work in the carving out of the peg box since I don't think even having a 4th axis would allow it to be completely cut out - it would still have some 'up-inside' cleanouts necessary near the scroll. The first 2 pictures are right off of the machine and the third is glued together and being cleaned up. A two piece neck may be stronger anyway because if there were some unseen weakness in the wood it would be strengthened by the other half.

Dale
Attachments
CelloNeckScroll1.jpg
CelloNeckScroll2.jpg
CelloNeckScroll3.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Looking for somebody with a 4th axis. I will send you my STL file and you see if V9.5 can machine the neck in one operation.
I have a rotary axis and I can help out, but I think you may find it is far more efficient to do multiple necks as 2 or 4 sided machining rather than using the rotary. (See Dale Vanderlaan's response)

Do you expect to still do some final shaping by hand or do you want the necks completely ready for finish when they come off the machine?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

An elegant solution, and you are correct that (if set up properly) a two piece neck is likely to be superior, although not for the exact reason you cite. When you resaw the plank into two pieces, orient them so that the end grains lie in opposition (unless, of course, you happen to have a piece of perfectly quartersawn wood). Oriented in such a way, the stresses (and natural tendency of the wood to bend at a tangent to the grain lines) will oppose each other, and you are much more likely to end up with a neck that will remain straight.

woody1

Post by woody1 »

Hi there,

Back after the holidays.

The rendering in 9.5 looks good, but the Experts at Vectric tells me that it is basically still the same as in 4.5 regarding UNWRAPPING a cylinder.

Therefore I would like somebody with 9.5 and a 4th axis to try it.
In the end I want the CNC to finish the complete neck... I might want to touch it up with sandpaper, but all machining must be done by the machine.

I have made some by doing the one side, the flipping it over and do the other side. Finally I had to do the peg box by hand and also the flutes on the bottom.

Thanks

crpoj13
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouterparts 2448

Post by crpoj13 »

I'd be willing to cut it for you. I have a rotary and some more advanced software for rotary paths. Do you only have the file in stl format?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

woody1 wrote:.....
In the end I want the CNC to finish the complete neck... I might want to touch it up with sandpaper, but all machining must be done by the machine.
Thanks
Right off the bat I highly doubt you will ever get one right off the machine that only requires a bit of sandpaper touch up using a rotary axis. I could be wrong, but I would be willing to bet a 12 bucks against a dozen donuts. No wait, I do not need to eat a dozen donuts! The last time I looked it was not possible to cut across the centerline of the model. Translation, the centerline of the model had to have material all around it. No cutting below centerline.

I think you can do the whole thing on the cnc, just not with a rotary axis. If'n it were me, I would create fixtures for the various positions required. Custom cut, not just jury rigged with a couple of dowel holes. What is nice about a cnc is that we can cut those kind of fixtures pretty easily. I would have one that would hold the neck so the tuning box cut out was accessible (fixture the neck at an angle). Not sure if you can do this on your machine, but I can cut beyond the front of my machine for about 4 inches so I can do end work and weird angle stuff when need be.

Quite often I will set up several fixtures on the machine for something I am doing. The workpiece offsets are a real savior with multiple fixtures on the table.

Sometimes we waste a lot of time trying to make something happen a certain way when it would be easier to just step back and say "wait a minute, am I looking at this correctly or am I kidding myself?"

Just my thoughts. . . .

A footnote: On my table I drilled a bunch of holes for dowels in a pattern, they are on two inch centers. So what I do is drill a base piece with a set of matching holes. Then I fasten the base piece to the machine. Then I fasten the material I am going to use for the fixture to the base itself. That way, if I screw up machining the fixture I can just replace the upper material. The dowel holes make locating the fixture on the table easy if the fixture is removed. All of the fixture cuts are referenced from the dowel holes. Takes a bit of thinking but it works extremely well. Beki did a version of this in one of her videos. She cut a block to hold the material rather than using the dowel hole method. I recently did it on a full 3D model. I cut the first side to the halfway mark, then cut a negative of that in a block to locate it so I could the backside and know it was located correctly. That way I did not need to leave material attached to hold the work.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

woody1

Post by woody1 »

Thanks for all the inputs so far.

Will make contact with crpoj13 so that he can give it a try.