Tablet Holders from "in the Lab" with Beki

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Tablet Holders from "in the Lab" with Beki

Post by meflick »

Hello. I am new to the forum (well new to posting, I have been perusing and learning from all the prior posts as best I can and from the Tutorials.) My husband and I got a CNC Shark HD4 for ourselves for Christmas. I have been trying to learn since then. Thanks to everyone who has shared so much here. I have learned a lot perusing the forums and watching the videos and working through the tutorials. Still lots to learn. I hope to one day be able to share and help others like so many of you have done here. Thanks for all of you who have shared to help others learn.

I wanted to share a couple of photos of some tablet holders I made using Beki's base design from the "in the lab" project recently shared here: https://portal.vectric.com/p/tablethold ... helabswith

I of course decided to expand on the tablet concept a little and rather then do the basic cutout design Beki shared, i decided to try some different ideas. The first couple I cut were with the basic plywood you get at your big box stores so i can honestly say, its okay but not ideal to cut with, especially if you need to sand it down any. I will definitely make sure I get the better baltic burch plywood, especially for making these tablet holders in the future. The first one i did, simply had my initials V-carved into it. The second one, I did for my son who is at student at UGA. That one I used v-carved the school's "G" and then used colored resin to "fill in" the those cuts (the black and the red.) That was the first time I had attempted using resin so learned a few things there too. I v-carved the "Dawgs" and hand painted that portion. Then I wanted to try out some of the Design and Make dished items. I used 4 different dished designs. I chose to cut these out of some Red Oak boards again purchased at the Big Box stores. The Rose I just finished with a sealer, no stain or paint. The Eagle Head and Moose with Trees I have used Danish Oil (med. walnut stain I think). I have not yet sealed those with anything beyond the Danish Oil. The fourth one, the Calla Lilies, I first sealed with Lacquer spray, then I used alcohol ink markers to color the lilies. Then added a final sealant coat to it. It is shiny because the lacquer. Looks like I am limited to three photos per post so will add 3 then add the other 3. One issue I had was getting the "slots" sized correctly when cutting. Mine ended up either too small or too large. The too small was easy enough to fix, I simply cut them a little bigger on my scroll saw. The too big - meant I had to cut bigger (thicker) legs. :wink: Thanks for looking.
IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3975.JPG
IMG_3979.JPG
IMG_3997.JPG
IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_3992.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Tablet Holders from "in the Lab" with Beki

Post by mtylerfl »

Excellent post. I enjoyed reading through your procedures. Thank you for showing us your project variations!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Very nice meflick. Think I'll do one like your Georgia since my wife is a die-hard fan and from Georgia... lol. You mention that you used color resin for the 'G'. What exactly is that? Do you mean epoxy or fiberglass? Just curious and thanks for sharing. Great work! I haven't moved into the 3D carving yet. But I'll get there some day..... :D

meflick
Vectric Craftsman

Post by meflick »

ezurick wrote:Very nice meflick. Think I'll do one like your Georgia since my wife is a die-hard fan and from Georgia... lol. You mention that you used color resin for the 'G'. What exactly is that? Do you mean epoxy or fiberglass? Just curious and thanks for sharing. Great work! I haven't moved into the 3D carving yet. But I'll get there some day..... :D
Hi ezurick, thanks to you and Michael for your comments. Yes, I used the System 3 Epoxy and Resin and colored it with regular acrylic paint. It takes very little paint added to get vibrant colors. We purchased a combo set at our local woodcraft store but I don't find what we purchased online at Woodcraft presently. Here is a link to what i used from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-010 ... 5342&psc=1 - It takes very little of the Epoxy resin mix it to do that particular design for sure.

As a TN resident, TN Grad, and die Hard volunteer fan - It was difficult making that GA Dawgs one. :wink: :cry: :lol: Hard to believe that its already been almost 4 years now that he went down to UGA. Should graduate in May. I've gotten used to it, and will say "Go Dawgs" as long as they are not playing my Vols. :wink:

mark-s
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: diy 4 X 4 CNC Router

Post by mark-s »

Love the Oak ones....
Oak is my favorite hard wood.
Not a big fan of plywood, still looks good.
mark-s

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Meflick these are great! Thank you for sharing and I love the changes you've made, very nice!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

meflick wrote:
ezurick wrote:Very nice meflick. Think I'll do one like your Georgia since my wife is a die-hard fan and from Georgia... lol. You mention that you used color resin for the 'G'. What exactly is that? Do you mean epoxy or fiberglass? Just curious and thanks for sharing. Great work! I haven't moved into the 3D carving yet. But I'll get there some day..... :D
Hi ezurick, thanks to you and Michael for your comments. Yes, I used the System 3 Epoxy and Resin and colored it with regular acrylic paint. It takes very little paint added to get vibrant colors. We purchased a combo set at our local woodcraft store but I don't find what we purchased online at Woodcraft presently. Here is a link to what i used from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-010 ... 5342&psc=1 - It takes very little of the Epoxy resin mix it to do that particular design for sure.

As a TN resident, TN Grad, and die Hard volunteer fan - It was difficult making that GA Dawgs one. :wink: :cry: :lol: Hard to believe that its already been almost 4 years now that he went down to UGA. Should graduate in May. I've gotten used to it, and will say "Go Dawgs" as long as they are not playing my Vols. :wink:
Hi meflick. Is that System Two easy to work with in small tight spaces? I had purchased a different kind from amazon and found it was very difficult to work with because it was so thick. Someone on here recommended to use "laminated" epoxy. So I ordered some of that (still waiting for delivery). It is also a 2 to 1 ratio. But I have some projects that require very small areas to fill. My old shaky hands can't seem to eye-ball thick goop into a small ravine... lol. Interesting that you used just acrylic paint. I thought you had to use a filament. Learn something e very visit... lol.

I did make the Georgia one for my wife... she returned from Georgia from her Christmas family visit and really didn't like my hand painted work on the white. :( She also said, what is it, a picture stand? I said, sure. lol. Oh well. At least they are easy to make. Thanks Beki.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Hi meflick. Is that System Two easy to work with in small tight spaces? I had purchased a different kind from amazon and found it was very difficult to work with because it was so thick. Someone on here recommended to use "laminated" epoxy. So I ordered some of that (still waiting for delivery). It is also a 2 to 1 ratio. But I have some projects that require very small areas to fill. My old shaky hands can't seem to eye-ball thick goop into a small ravine... lol. Interesting that you used just acrylic paint. I thought you had to use a filament. Learn something e very visit... lol.

Temperature is often the cause of resins being a bit to thick to work with so increasing the room temperature a little can often have a positive impact , if the resin is stored outside & cold then bring it inside & let it reach room temperature before mixing :lol:
The reason someone may have suggested a laminating resin is because they are normally low viscosity (runny) which is what you are looking for, in a warm room with a low viscocity resin then you can use something like a syringe which makes it quite easy to apply a small amount for things like infills :lol:

When yours arrives check which type it is, it may be either 2-1 by weight or volume, accurate mixing is quite important for best results :lol: :lol:

meflick
Vectric Craftsman

Post by meflick »

RebeccaJ wrote:Meflick these are great! Thank you for sharing and I love the changes you've made, very nice!
Thank you Beki. I'm glad you got a chance to see them and know that we do use the tutorials, and files that you guys share here. PLEASE, keep them coming. :wink: :D
ezurick wrote:
meflick wrote:
ezurick wrote: . . .

I did make the Georgia one for my wife... she returned from Georgia from her Christmas family visit and really didn't like my hand painted work on the white. :( She also said, what is it, a picture stand? I said, sure. lol. Oh well. At least they are easy to make. Thanks Beki.
Yes, the System Two system was very easy to work with. I mixed it in very small plastic containers that were very flexible and let me bend them to have almost a pouring spout to pour into those small tight places. I did think later that using a syringe might have been a better idea to fill the areas in. One note, just like all of the information I see on most of these resins - the mixture really does need to be exact to their specifications. Do not use extra hardener. If it says 1:1 ratio be exact. If it says 2:1 be exact. It really does setup and work best that way. Also when mixing, make sure you mix it very well, including getting it off the sides of the container mixing it in. (Yes, that is the voice of experience. :oops: :wink: )
I'm sorry you got a less then enthusiastic response from your wife. I would like to see a picture of your GA one you did.