VCarve inlays and flat depth

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: VCarve inlays and flat depth

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The Zank V-Inlay Procedure (or ZVIP) sounds like a good name. I like that it continues to honor Paul for his contribution.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

And, of course, the use of "V Carve" to describe both the program and the toolpath, which are two very different things, doesn't help.

Also, setting the male start and flat depths both to half the female flat depth in the instructions makes a confusing pattern that is entirely unnecessary.
To reiterate: The male flat depth controls the open space between the parts when they are glued together. It can be any number between some small value and an arbitrary large value, subject to machine and bit limitations. The male start depth controls how far the male sits into the female. I recommend a value that is a bit less than the female flat depth to provide space for glue and the top of the V bit grooves in the flat areas of the female.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Doug98105
Model of CNC Machine: Centroid knee mill with 4th axis

Post by Doug98105 »

This might be a different way to cut the female pocket (and a similar way will cut the male inlay). I plan on inlaying on turned objects. The regular Vcarve inlay method to cut the pocket may not give good results when the inlay is turned down to match the turned curved surface.

I'm using a profile toolpath with sharp external and interior corners option turned on. The sharp corners will be retained on the finished turned down inlay surface.

The drawing shows the pocket outline with an inside offset of .1155", that offset corresponds to a 60 degree bit .2" deep. The first thing to do is a pocket toolpath using a 1/8" end mill to clear the material on the floor of the pocket bounded by the inner toolpath. Then the profile toolpath cuts the tapered walls.
INLAY1.JPG
Here's the female pocket with the sharp corners.
INLAY-PROFILE.JPG
Here's the same pocket using Vcarve to cut the pocket. Note the rounding of the interior corners. I don't want the rounded corners.
INLAY-VCARVE.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Doug, not sure you are talking about the same thing everyone else is on this thread. Are you talking about using the inlay toolpath within the Vectric software ?
I could be wrong but from what I have read it seems you may be.

The V inlay technique that people are talking about uses the Vcarve toolpath not the inlay toolpath which can cause some confusion. It was a method developed by one of the softwares users not Vectric themselves :lol: :lol:

SCG
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Post by SCG »

Holy smokes! That is one serious response to my vcarve (time_vcp) dilemma. Thank you very, very much as I was not expecting such a detailed response. I do agree completely with the design being over complicated and also having so many vector duplicates. To answer your fly cut question: yes, I always reset Z height off top of material surface when changing bits.

The fly cut file is a separate tool path specifically used to plain and join surfaces so all stock is perfectly square before use. It's basically an way to S2S my wood. I regularly resurface my spoil board, so that's covered. Gotta run, but I'll open your edited file when I return home. Thank you again, I do really appreciate such a detailed response.

SCG
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Post by SCG »

Okay, I finally concede to the issue being "user error". I purchased 2 Amana v bits at the same time. One was a 60 degree .5 inch v bit and the other a 90 degree .5 inch v bit. I looked at the bits when they arrived via UPS and manually added specs to the tool database. Well, guess who put the bits back in the wrong package?

That's right, I've been using a 60 degree vbit tool path with a 90 degree v bit installed in the spindle. So, that's why all my pieces have been equally off in tolerances. I'm still amazed at the accuracy of my Axiom AR 8 pro, VCP and Aspire. I'm also impressed at the attention to every detail needed when running programs on the CNC. I discovered my brand new, never used Amana 60 degree v bit in my 90 degree v bit slot of the 8 piece carving/engraving set. So, the silver lining is all Xmas 3d relief carving gifts were greatly appreciated, and I now have the never used razor sharp 60 degree bit ready for serious inlay work.