V Transfer

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

V Transfer

Post by cusoak »

I had to download V carve Pro to a new windows 10 computer, my old one stop working. I have 2 questions .
How do I get my tool data base moved to the new computer. the old one still runs. so I can get to vcarve pro and open it.
The other question is what is Vtransfer. that icon turn up on my start screen.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: V Transfer

Post by martin54 »

If the computers aren't networked then you can just copy the tool database to a USB stick & transfer it to the new machine, just paste it in & when you get the message the file name already exists just overwrite/replace the existing file.
vtransfer I believe is so you can send your gcode files directly to the machine, works with certain controllers but don't know any more than that, doesn't work with mine :lol: :lol:

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Post by Ton80 »

If you're a modern kinda guy maybe you saved your stuff on a cloud-based drive like onedrive? You might be able to access the tool database that way. ADAIK, you probably need to power up the old computer so you can run the export tool database function.. :|

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

1. Open old Vcarve Pro
2. Open an existing crv or a new one.
3. Pulldown File/Open Application Data Folder...
4. Copy any of the folders you want to move to new machine (ToolDatabase).
5. Do the same with your new Vcarve, then paste in your copied folders.

Restart Vcarve. Done.....

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Vtransfer is for sending code to GRBL based machines as an alternative to the on-line only software that is generally used with those machines.

btreichel
Model of CNC Machine: Millright Mega V XL

Post by btreichel »

So how do I get v transfer on my computer? D/l from where?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

V transfer is installed as part of the 9.5 release.

DWiskow
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee / OpenBuild

Re: VTransfer & Direct Output

Post by DWiskow »

Vectric DIRECT OUTPUT from Cut2D (and/or other Vectric programs) uses a secondary program ('VTransfer.exe') to 'jog' the CNC machine, set workspace home and manage the transfer of the automatically generated G-Code file to the CNC Machine/Controller.

When DIRECT OUTPUT is selected Cut2D writes the relevant G-Code into a file called 'VectricTransfer.dat' which is placed in the 'C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp' directory . . . It then executes and passes control to a program called 'VTransfer.exe' which is normally installed in the directory 'C:\Program Files\VTransfer\x64'. This program automatically accesses 'VectricTransfer.dat' and manages its output to the CNC machine.

Once the job is completed 'VTransfer.exe' must be exited and terminated, at which point control is returned to Cut2D.

If there are issues getting 'VTransfer' to work with a particular CNC Machine/Controller (or additional functionality such as probing is required), it is possible to substitute another program in place of 'VTransfer'.

For example, if 'SourceRabbit Gcode Sender' (https://www.sourcerabbit.com/Downloads/) has been installed and proven with the CNC Machine/Controller, then this could be substituted in place of 'VTransfer'.

To achieve this simply copy all of the files from the 'SourceRabbit Gcode Sender' installed directory (C:\Program Files\SR-GCodeSender) to the 'VTranfer' installed directory (C:\Program Files\VTransfer\x64) ... then rename 'VTransfer.exe' to 'VTransfer.exe.old' and rename 'SourceRabbit-GCode-Sender.exe' to 'VTransfer.exe'.

In order to get 'SourceRabbit Gcode Sender' to recognise and open the '.VectricTransfer.dat', the file 'SourceRabbit-GCODE-Sender.jar' file must be modified with a Hex Code Editor such as 'Hex Editor Neo' https://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor). Use the 'Find' function to locate the following text 'GCode Files (.nc, ggcode, .dat' in the '.jar' file. Replace the text '.tap' and the text 'tap' immediately after it with '.dat' and 'dat' respectively to make it possible for 'SourceRabbit Gcode Sender' to be able to recognise and open files of type '.dat'.

Now, when DIRECT OUTPUT is selected in Cut2D, 'SourceRabbit Gcode Sender' will be executed in place of 'VTransfer'. Use 'SourceRabbit Gcode Sender' to set up the CNC Machine workspace, optionaly using a touch probe if you have one, and browse to the directory 'C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp' and select the 'VectricTransfer.dat' to send to your CNC Machine/Controller..

I expect a similar approach could be adopted for other GCode senders ... this would allow users to select the GCode sender they prefer rather than be limited to using 'VTransfer' ... I would also propose that Vectric make the name/location of the GCode sender (and name/location/type of the 'VectricTransfer' file) configurable items in the Post Processor/Configuration file to make the option and implementation of this choice easy for users.

I found it necessary to adopt this approach as, after implementing a wirelesss bluetooth serial connection between my PC and CNC Controller, 'VTransfer' would no longer find or recognise my CNC Machine/Controller ... the wireless bluetooth serial connection allows me to locate my laptop 5m-10m away from my CNC Machine and move it around as required without the hassle and risk of cables between it and the CNC Machine.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Re: VTransfer & Direct Output

Post by Adrian »

You can change the name of the transfer program or interface in the post processor via the DIRECT_OUTPUT statement. Mach3 works through a document interface and ShopBot works via an ini file for instance.

DWiskow

Post by DWiskow »

Adrian

That is good to know . . . are you able to point me towards any documentation on how to implement this?

The only information I was able to find is in the Post Processor Guide, which rather simply states;
DIRECT_OUTPUT = "Display Name | Manufacturers.Document"

The control software uses a document interface that can directly accept the NC file output.
. . . and points toward the Mach3 example (but there is no corresponding 'Mach4.Document"' example that I can find

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It depends on each type of controller software so it should be documented from their end really.

DWiskow

Post by DWiskow »

Adrian

Understood . . . but for Vectric/Cut2D to execute 3rd party software (e.g. GCode Sender etc) there must be a way that Vectric require the name & location of the relevant executable to be provided (and that would be according to a Vectric definition/specification).

I looked at the ShopBot examlpe where there is a 'ShopBot_run.ini' file provided in the C:\ProgramData\Vectric\Cut2D Desktop\V9.5\PostP directory . . .
sb3.exe
%s,,0,,0,0,0
. . . the first line is clearly the name of an executable (but no Path to it).

One might assume that the second line contains arguments/parameters provided by Vectric when the sb3.exe program is run (and that %s is the name of the selected toolpath), but again there must be some documentation provided by Vectric on what these parameters can be and how this is required to be set out.

With respect to the Mach3|Mach4.Document, I can find no example to examine.

If I create my own file 'SourcewRabbit.ini', based on the ShopBot example, with the following content . . .
C:\Program Files\SR-GCodeSender\SourceRabbit-GCode-Sender.exe
%s,,0,,0,0,0
. . . then, when selecting DIRECT OUTPUT, a file save dialogue box opens with a pre-populated file name of 'output.nc' allowing me to save the GCode file and the SourceRabbit GCode sender is executed. So, it appears that a path can be provided in addition to the executable name.

GOOD NEWS, THIS WORKS (and renders my initial post above overly complex and now irrelevant!) . . . and it is possible to easily implement/use any other program (GCode sender) as an alternative to VTransfer . . . I would however, still like some further documentation/information from Vectric on this :D

Thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction.
Dorian