creating a 3 hole cribbage board

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
markdickerson
Model of CNC Machine: Shark
Location: Hamilton, Montana in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley of western MT

creating a 3 hole cribbage board

Post by markdickerson »

I am new to working VCarve, and am trying to create a 3 hole cribbage board that I can adapt to several styles (9 inch square to fit on 10 inch square board, standard 3 person 4" wide by 16 inches long board, std 3 person 5 inch, x 13 inch board. These are for a Christmas present for a friend. Is there a site where I can go to learn how to create crib boards, or is there place I can purchase the .crv files for the above. Please assist. I was just asked for these, and I cannot yet create them. I am in first stage of panic... Thanks so very much. Mark D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: creating a 3 hole cribbage board

Post by Adrian »

Try the forum search function for cribbage. It's something that is posted about a lot on the forum and many people have shared files.

It's not the same as the one you're talking about but Beki did one in the labs recently that might give you some ideas - https://release.vectric.com/cribbage-board/

markdickerson

Post by markdickerson »

Thank you. I saw hers, but it did not tell me how to create a repeating pattern, in a specific design. Thanks for replying!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have a look at the tutorials and the Help on the Array Copy tool.

markdickerson

Post by markdickerson »

Thank you very much. headed there now.

markdickerson

Post by markdickerson »

cannot see/figure out how to copy to make a board, with curves, and circling 10x10 board. When I try to copy and create array copy, It jumps off the board and is not in line.

markdickerson

Post by markdickerson »

Is there any location where I can go and purchase a .crv file for a square 10x10 inch 3 person template that fits around the edge so I can laser in a picture in the middle of the cribbage holes? I am not experienced enough to create on my own, and am under pressure to create this for Christmas present.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Here's a very simple one for your rectangular shapes.......we made dozens of different versions.
Not making anything similar since we added a front face storage.
I removed all sayings and carving so it would fit, but pic is front face.
BBOARD FRONT 1.jpg
Should be easy to adapt? size is about right?
Guys can help with different hole bits/resizing, etc....gonna be unavailable for a while.
Oh, Guys Holes are nominal, and offset was for "Pete's Pegs" with that odd Mill Monster bit that worked great at those settings.
Hope it helps.
scott

Customize it a little:)
BBOARD BACK 3.jpg
Attachments
4.20.17 BRIANS BOARD LADY ACTUAL BOARD no Lady or storage.crv
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 254 times
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Hey Mark,

Does this help you? 10x10 with 1/8" holes, and the Skunk and Double Skunk lines marked. I prefer CCW, but you can easily mirror it to be CW if you want. I've attached the .crv, and a .dxf in case you can't open that version.

If you want, after Christmas I can walk you though setting up the holes.

Connor
Attachments
10x10Crib.crv
(206.5 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
10x10Crib.dxf
(248.97 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Oh...At the last minute I Grouped everything so you could easily move to any size material.
Relocate to your board and place it, the press U to ungroup it, recalc, and everything should be good to go as it's Automatic Vector Selection by layer.
Another thing on this one is it's a dark wood...usually use an 82 degree countersink(but I dropped it on the concrete floor that day :oops: )
Also the recipient was 80 years old, so used a 60 degree for the countersink to make holes easier to see and put peg in.
So holes are a little deeper to take into account the 60* countersink.
On lighter colored woods, a lighter countersink(or none....but better with one according to the pros...also where I got the 82* countersink advice) the holes are end grain, and soak up enough finish for a good contrast usually. But countersink is important to people with degrading/poor vision like my step-mom.

Went NUTS designing crib boards as I don't even play the game...Had to keep asking Cribbage addicts for design and "Perfect Feel" for the crib peg and hole:)
Always had to make sure I had the holes and lines right :D
FIRST crib board done with Dad from scratch....IF paying a reasonable wage would probably have cost $1,000US with all the protos and mistakes I made as a beginner :D :D
Hope this helps anyone for Christmas....I like Beki's much better!! :D
Too bad I don't have any inclination to play.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.