Tool database

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
1601chief
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1 with recoil

Tool database

Post by 1601chief »

Does anyone know anything about Vectric tool database on toolstoday.com? Looking at V-bits they don't seem right. Any help with setting up would be appreciated.
Andy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool database

Post by Adrian »

The diameter seems off on a lot of those files. To be honest it's probably quicker to just type the info in rather than downloading and merging each file like that. The feeds, speeds and pass depths need to be set for your machine/material combination anyway.

1601chief
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1 with recoil

Post by 1601chief »

I realize that but my biggest problem is stepover on a V-bit. any suggestions to start with? Thankyou for your help.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Whatever you want it to be for what you're doing. I use anywhere between 2% and 40% depending on what I'm doing. The preview will show you what you're going to get.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian says stepover is very job dependant & can vary so much that its not really worth worrying about what the tool database figure is unless you are going to set your tool database up with lots of different folders for material & job types.
For the tool database I set my v & engraving bits up for speed, feed, pass depth & plunge for my machine having done some experimenting with them & the stepover I just leave as default :lol: :lol:
I then tend to use the edit tool option on the toolpathing form to change stepover rather than the tool database section :lol: That way it doesn't alter the setting saved in the tool database,

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

A "V" bit is generally not really good at "stepover" processes. Rather they are better at things whereas the cut will have the "V" at the bottom - like in "V" grooving a straight line.

Yes there are exceptions to that rule, but exceptions are few and far between. Like if you were to do text engraving with a flat depth specified.

The problem with stepover with a V bit is that the tip of the V bit comes down to a point - the tip is virtually at .000" wide. So, the stepover is 0 or something really really small. Even at .001, the stepover is too much.

Well - you CAN stepover with a V bit but in about ALL cases the bottom of whatever you are cutting is going to be very rough. That is just the way it is, due to the shape of the V cutter.

You can stepover at any distance you want, but do realize that all you will do it cut V grooves at the distance you specify.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC