Problem changing component colors

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
t28c34
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha 4x8

Problem changing component colors

Post by t28c34 »

What am I missing? I design a sign with different components. then go back to change component colors to show the customer, and they will not change. I select the component, go to component properties and change the color and nothing happens.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Problem changing component colors

Post by highpockets »

Seems to work on my copy.
Image 263.png
John
Maker of Chips

t28c34

Post by t28c34 »

I went back to the previous sign I designed and added color after laying it all out. I pull it up and the colors show they are changed in the component properties box, but the 3D picture is back to the yellow material color. I try to change the colors and nothing happens. I am updated to 9.511
Attachments
previous saved image
previous saved image
What it shows now
What it shows now

StuC
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC

Post by StuC »

Hi,

Have you checked the properties of the level under which the components are located. If this is set to something other than "Color from Children" this could produce the effect you are seeing. If this is set to "Same as Parent" for instance the components below will appear to have the correct colours but the top level property will override this with the material colour in that case.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

It is a side effect of changes between 9.0 and 9.5. In version 9.0 you could colour individual components and also groups. When you created a group though, the default setting was 'Same as Parent', which would override settings in individual components, unless 'Color from Children' was selected.
Colour settings were disabled for levels completely, so they behaved like if they were in 'Color from Children' mode. However, the actual mode, saved to the file was 'Same as Parent'.

In version 9.5 we did some re-structuring work and we allowed you to set colour/material on whole level, the same way as with groups. We also changed default mode for levels and groups to be 'Color from Children'. This way if you create a new project in Aspire, it will work the same as in old version, plus you can also change colour setting for the whole level as well. However if you open an old file, all the levels will be using 'Same as Parent'.

As mentioned already by Stuart, the solution is to go to the level properties and switch Appearance settings to 'Color from Children'.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Greg K

t28c34

Post by t28c34 »

Hey!
Thanks Stu and Greg,
That works. I have always wondered what color from children means. What exacty is it used for?
Thanks

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

'Color from Children' can be used in cases like yours - i.e. when you would like to colour your components individually. However you can imagine a scenario, where you group the components as part of the modelling process. And then you would like the whole group to have a particular colour.
If you have used 'Color from Children' mode on this group, you would have to colour each component in a group separately. If you change the mode for the group to e.g. 'Solid Color', it allows you to set all of them to a particular colour.

Greg K