Looking for

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Looking for

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I am looking for a better Celtic Cross model. This is a screen shot of the one I have now.
I would like one that has a better weave. The over and under part. Free or low cost.
Maybe like picture number 2

Don
Attachments
Celtic Cross i.jpg
Celtic Cross 01.jpg

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Re: Looking for

Post by laflippin »

When it comes to art, "better" is certainly a matter for the eye of the beholder to decide on....

That said, if you do an internet search for "images of celtic cross" you will certainly find many dozens of examples to view. Virtually any bitmap or png file found in that way can be downloaded to your computer with the "save picture as" command and directly converted to a vector file or, if you wish, they can be further edited in Corel or Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop to make them ready for conversion. If there are copyright issues connected with the specific artwork you are legally responsible for obtaining the rights to use it.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

If you look at the one I have a screenshot of you can see flat spots in the weave.
That is why I said better. You cannot make a cross over weave in Vcarve. I can
make all the vectors I want but cannot get an over under weave.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

That said, if you do an internet search for "images of celtic cross" you will certainly find many dozens of examples to view

Think Don is looking for a 3D model rather than a vector/bitmap image :D

Don try including 3D model or stl with your search for celtic cross, that will give you more options with links to the usual places such as yegi, thingiverse, turbosquid etc

Design & Make have some but I am guessing you have already looked at those :lol:

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

You can do a search on yeggi.com and it will show some and the source for them. Also, Turbosquid has a few. The one in the second picture would be real nice if someone offered it in 3d. Good luck.

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by laflippin »

re: "Don is looking for a 3D model rather than a vector/bitmap image"

Can't 3D models be user-created from 2D bitmap images in VCarve Pro, or at least Aspire? I currently have Desktop, which is clearly limited in several ways compared to its big brother programs.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

There is a comparison of Vectric products on this page: https://www.vectric.com/products/compare.html

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

laflippin wrote:re: "Don is looking for a 3D model rather than a vector/bitmap image"

Can't 3D models be user-created from 2D bitmap images in VCarve Pro, or at least Aspire? I currently have Desktop, which is clearly limited in several ways compared to its big brother programs.
Aspire yes. VCarve (either version) no. There is no real difference between VCarve Desktop and Pro when it comes to creation of vectors and use of models. The limitations are all primarily based on production features that people with smaller machines generally wouldn't use.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian says not with vcarve & as this is the vcarve section guessing that is what the OP has. Even in Aspire which has this capability it can be a lot of work to produce a good 3D model from either a bitmap or vectors, some people make 3D modeling look very easy, some (like me) struggle with it & some leave it alone completely :lol: :lol: :lol:

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by laflippin »

Thank you, folks...I need to look into Aspire more deeply, then. I am upgrading to an Axiom machine (AR Pro8) pretty soon and the VCarve Pro vs (~3x more expensive) Aspire comparison is something I've been meaning to research.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

laflippin wrote:Thank you, folks...I need to look into Aspire more deeply, then. I am upgrading to an Axiom machine (AR Pro8) pretty soon and the VCarve Pro vs (~3x more expensive) Aspire comparison is something I've been meaning to research.
Be aware that you can get Vcarve, then upgrade to Aspire for only the price difference between the two. This is a really nice offering from Vectric. I first purchased Vcarve Desktop, then to Vcarve Pro, and just lately to Aspire. They make it very easy to purchase only what you need at the time, with no penalty for upgrading.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Can't 3D models be user-created from 2D bitmap images in VCarve Pro, or at least Aspire?
"User-Created" being the operative term. It takes considerable skill to create high quality 3D models.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

ger21 wrote:It takes considerable skill to create high quality 3D models.
In this particular case, the Celtic Weave Creator gadget will probably make it easy. But upgrading to Aspire for this is another story.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

Thank you for all the replies. I did purchase one from Design and make.

Don