3D Jigsaw Puzzle

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
George B.
Model of CNC Machine: shotbot desktop

3D Jigsaw Puzzle

Post by George B. »

I would like thank Edward Powell at Vectric for his inspiration and presentation about 3D jigsaw puzzle making at the User Group Meeting 2018. The picture below shows I was successful. I also created a written procedure which may help others also create a puzzle and will help me remember what to do in the future when trying to repeat the process.
George
Attachments
InkscapeLasercutJigsawPuzzleNotes.pdf
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 533 times
IMG_1824-1.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: 3D Jigsaw Puzzle

Post by highpockets »

Nice work George. Thanks for sharing the procedures. Wish I could have made the conference.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Very nice! Glad to see someone using the technique Edward showed us!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for sharing, George.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Nicely done George, I made one but didn't post it on here because it was made using a user group meeting tutorial :lol: :lol:

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Very Cool, Nice to see you have made use of this cool technique! Thanks for Sharing!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

Roger Gaborski
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 23

Post by Roger Gaborski »

Looks great George
Roger

nurb
Model of CNC Machine: Pilot Pro 5050 w Customizations

Post by nurb »

Here's another example of a puzzle using the technique illustrated at the Chicago User Group 2018.

The puzzle was created as a Christmas gift for a relative. It consists of 176 pieces and was made from a variety of cherry and maple pieces. All puzzle pieces were cut with a 1/8" 2 flute up-cut endmill. To allow proper fit of the pieces, the allowance between pieces was set to -0.005". The graphics were V-carved with a 30 deg V-bit and 0.10" max depth. Coloring was done with spray-on and hand-applied ink followed by a poly clear coat.

Lessons learned:
1)
Next time I'll use a down cut endmill. An up-cut endmill was used to clear the flat areas during V-carving. But, it has a tendency to pull the small puzzle pieces from the table. This led to lesson 2.
2)
Because the up-cut endmill had a tendency to pull the pieces up, I had to resort to carpet tape with aggressive adhesive. The downside was it took a very very long time to remove the adhesive from all 176 pieces. :cry: Next time, if a do a project with this many tiny pieces, I'll fabricate a vacuum hold down.
Attachments
Pic-Final-LR.png
Pic-RawPieces-LR.png
Pic-OnCNC-LR.png
Pic-Detail-LR.png
Pic-Skeleton-LR.png

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

nurb

Now that is impressive :lol: :lol:
What is the overal size & how easy was it to put the pieces together after cutting before you carved it? I did one after the UK user group meeting but it's only 9 pieces, just did a simple one for my Grand Daugher :lol: :lol:

nurb
Model of CNC Machine: Pilot Pro 5050 w Customizations

Post by nurb »

The overall size is 24"x16". The pieces actually fit together quite nicely and the puzzle maintained its "squareness" even when fully assembled. I attribute it to two things:

1)
Before starting, I made sure the CNC table was perfectly square and trammed the spindle to ensure the pieces slid together with no off-angles.
2)
I dialed in the allowance offset between the pieces with some trial runs before settling on -0.005". It was actually set looser at -0.008" to begin with but there was too much slop and the pieces were too loose when assembled.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

The overall size is 24"x16". The pieces actually fit together quite nicely and the puzzle maintained its "squareness" even when fully assembled. I attribute it to two things:

Haha, I wasn't refering to the fit, t was the thought of all those bits on the table with absolutely no clues as to how it all went together :lol: :lol:
I only had 9 pieces so 4 corners only left me with 5 bits & only one with no straight edge :lol: :lol:

I did the same thing, ran a couple of pieces as a test fit although I allowed a bit of slop in mine, didn't want it to be to tight a fit with it being for a 3 year old :lol: :lol: