Always something new.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Always something new.

Post by jerry carney »

Just a fyi, guys something to think about https://itstylish.co/products/robotic-machine-tool https://itstylish.co/products/robotic-machine-tool

-----------

-----------

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Always something new.

Post by gkas »

Another gimmick that probably works like crap....

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

gkas wrote:Another gimmick that probably works like crap....
Gotta be horrendous, especially at that price point.
Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

That site is a fraud that the real Goliath company have been warning about. The "reviews" should have given it away let alone the price. The real site is here - http://www.goliathcnc.com/

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Oh god the reviews, they should be preserved for posterity, hilarious - Bwokin Engrish at its very best ! Never occurred to me to scroll down that far, when I saw the price I left before I got malware. Almost as good as the "You just inherited $3,000,000, now please send all your banking details to me in Kenya" emails.

Also noticed the "get it while you can" countdown clock never seems to run out, in fact, it gained time between my 2 brief visits.
Doug

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

This review tells you all you need to know.
Todo correct, the only downside is that the mouthpieces come very fair.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

I have nothing to add with respect to this bombastic commercial offering--looks like previous posters have this one properly nailed.

However, the concept is certainly intriguing...if NASA can build reliable rovers to do precision work on the surface of Mars, a decent robotics company should be able to solve the issues around a roving CNC machine. Controlling the stability of the rotary tool against the torque generated at the bit-wood interface might be a pretty expensive proposition, though. CNC machines obviously do this by mounting the rotary tool on a stable gantry that attaches to the work surface. A free-roving robot would have to solve that problem with sheer weight of the machine or....???

It was interesting to watch some of the video at that link...just watching the thingie crawl over the efflux of wood chips it generates as it goes along made me cringe. Definitely wouldn't trust an expensive surface to that machine.

As someone who has always had to pay dearly for mouthpieces, I admit that I was very hopeful that I might be able to get them very fair... :shock:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Pick any two
Attachments
GoodFastCheap.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

laflippin wrote:
As someone who has always had to pay dearly for mouthpieces, I admit that I was very hopeful that I might be able to get them very fair... :shock:
Careful what you wish for, some mouthpieces are all but impossible to get rid of !
Doug

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

re: "Pick any two".....

Yeah, that's what Moe Howard always used to say, and we know how that turned out for Curly and Larry.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I already had a look at this during the KS campaign. IMHO, i's an interesting but impractical concept.

The target retail price was $2890.

As laflippin noticed, the cutting torque is the main issue. Do you imagine not gripping firmly your hand router while using it?

I never found a video showing in real time a full cut. If you look closely, you will see the cuts seem very shallow and the router produces very few chips. I found no indication of speed vs pass depth. The only information about precision was the captors precision: 0.1 mm. The cutting precision of 0.1 mm is described as a target…

I'd bet the cut is ***very*** long with small passes and probably a not very high precision.

And the principle seems incompatible with 3D machining.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Like LGM I saw this when it was a KS campaign, I was surprised at the take up as I personally had trouble figuring out who the target market might be, seemed a bit expensive for a Hobby machine with limited capabilities (that I could see) & to slow to be really beneficial to trades people. The other thing is I have rarely been able to buy a perfectly flat board with a lot of construction type materials & even when I was able to finding a large enough completely flat area to lay it on would be a nightmare :lol: :lol:
I do like the idea though & I have a nephew who buys all sorts of things like this that he rarely or never uses :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

martin54 wrote:Like LGM I saw this when it was a KS campaign, I was surprised at the take up as I personally had trouble figuring out who the target market might be, seemed a bit expensive for a Hobby machine with limited capabilities (that I could see) & to slow to be really beneficial to trades people. The other thing is I have rarely been able to buy a perfectly flat board with a lot of construction type materials & even when I was able to finding a large enough completely flat area to lay it on would be a nightmare :lol: :lol:
I do like the idea though & I have a nephew who buys all sorts of things like this that he rarely or never uses :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like me, I got some 3D scanner type thing for the ipad years ago, never used it.

This thing I can see useful for light etching on a limited variety of surfaces, or perhaps it might do good work with a sharpie. Tough to see it doing any good with anything requiring even very limited torque, it almost seems like a contradiction between what it is and what it is supposed to do.
Doug

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Tough to see it doing any good with anything requiring even very limited torque
Seems like a laser etcher would be a better application than using a router.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Nice point Randall:)
Got me thinking it might be nice for etching a hardwood floor or hallway :D
Chips was my first concern, when I was remembering a large(6') Compass Rose inlay a homeowner up here had done in a antique refinished Sugar Maple floor.
Had a friend spend the better part of a day inserting a 12" Ebony "Toe Line" in a Jatoba floor for his dartboard..he MIGHT have hired someone after all the cussing he did :D
I imagine a large fan or compressor nozzle gun could keep an area clean of chips though?
Too bad it can't climb walls:)
A lot of people refurb timber framed barns and houses to live in here, that might want designs in the timbers.
Just thinking before coffee:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.