Cut order not working.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
formacnc
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Z7

Cut order not working.

Post by formacnc »

Having a little trouble with the cut order, i'm trying to get the items to be cut from the bottom up so it is always cutting the items out of new material and the defaults don't seem to work. I have attached a screenshot of 'bottom to top' and 'left to right' and then vector selection order which I usually have to resort to to force the cut order. It gets a little better if I change where the cut starts, but then the piece would not be secured by uncut material while it finishes the cut. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Attachments
B2T.jpg
L2R.jpg
VS.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Cut order not working.

Post by adze_cnc »

On the "Start At" tab are you 'Keep Current Start Points'?

What happens if you change "Start At" to be 'Move start points...bounding box'; then choose the lower-left corner dot; then use 'Bottom to Top' order or even 'Grid'?

Steven

formacnc

Post by formacnc »

'Bottom to Top' still doesn't cut from the lowest item to the highest item on the sheet (see attached) and 'Grid' is even worse, the start point is crucial in making sure the piece is still attached to the main body of the sheet throughout the cut. I could spread the items out and have enough material in between them to negate the problem, but when maximizing items per sheet they need to be as close as possible. You can see with the vector selection order picture in my initial post the items would cut just fine with a good chance the vacuum should hold them throughout the cut as there is no point till the very end that the piece is not attached to the majority of the sheet. For the sake of it I chose every iteration of start point and it never chose either of the lowest two items to cut first and throughout the cut it seems to proceed upwards but in no particular order, I also raised the left two columns of circles slightly to make so no two items are centered at the same location in the y axis and has no effect. I just cant figure out how the software determines the order to cut in. I included another old cut file with much larger more obvious shapes and it still seems to not proceed from the lowest item on the sheet to the top.
Attachments
B2T2.jpg
RIBS.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Could you attach your actual CRV file? I'm not seeing the same behaviour when creating a job that looks like yours.

formacnc

Post by formacnc »

Sure thing, here is the circles file.
Attachments
Circles.crv
(608.5 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Think you'll have to go to support@vectric.com for the definitive answer. I can see that there could be some confusion with exactly what is left/right and bottom/top when the crossing bounding boxes of the vectors are taken into account but it does seem to be favouring shortest path over the exact specified order.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Part of the problem here is the home position at the far right x=96 and your desire to cut the material starting on the far left. Change the home position X to 0, choose 'Shortest Path' for the "Order" and 'Keep Current...' for the "Start At" and all seems to be just how you want it.

For that matter if that rectangle on the <Default Sheet> is the actual size of your material (why would you not set the job size to be that instead of 97x49 inches?) keeping the home X at 96" and doing the changes above also seems to be what you are looking for.

Your start point node, from what I see, is on the left side of each circle yet in your previous statement you say "the start point is crucial in making sure the piece is still attached to the main body of the sheet throughout the cut". Where do you think that start point should be and if it is different than the node that currently is you should use node edit on one to make sure it's where you want it then re-nest the circles?
Home=0; shortest path; keep start points
Home=0; shortest path; keep start points
Home=96; shortest path; keep start points
Home=96; shortest path; keep start points

formacnc

Post by formacnc »

Part of the problem here is the home position at the far right x=96 and your desire to cut the material starting on the far left. Change the home position X to 0, choose 'Shortest Path' for the "Order" and 'Keep Current...' for the "Start At" and all seems to be just how you want it.

For that matter if that rectangle on the <Default Sheet> is the actual size of your material (why would you not set the job size to be that instead of 97x49 inches?) keeping the home X at 96" and doing the changes above also seems to be what you are looking for.
The home position is set to the parking position of the spindle and the rectangle is the size of the stock I was cutting from, I am often using offcuts and odd shaped remnants so I got in the habit of just nesting inside that shape as opposed to changing the stock size every time as I found it to be more cumbersome than just creating a shape. Changing the home position did seem to help with tidying up the cut order but it still will not sequence the cut in order of the lowest to the highest on the sheet, but maybe my definition of 'Bottom to Top' is different from theirs. What I would interpret as 'Bottom to Top' and what I have found to work the best is illustrated in the 'Vector Selection' picture in my original post. But I'm gathering that is beyond what ever algorithm they use to determine 'Bottom to Top'.
Your start point node, from what I see, is on the left side of each circle yet in your previous statement you say "the start point is crucial in making sure the piece is still attached to the main body of the sheet throughout the cut". Where do you think that start point should be and if it is different than the node that currently is you should use node edit on one to make sure it's where you want it then re-nest the circles?
To avoid having to create custom start nodes on whatever varied and odd shapes are nested I usually just move the start point to the appropriate location using the 'Move Start Points' depending on whether it is a climb or conventional cut, with the circles being a climb cut the start point worked just fine being on the top right.

I mean it all works and I can work around it with 'Vector Selection Order', was just trying to find a way to avoid having to select every vector in order on the 40-50 sheets that are sometimes required, and it often makes the 'Apply Template to All Sheets' gadget unusable, which is unfortunate as it is an amazing time saver when it works.