New Plate Plus

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

New Plate Plus

Post by martin54 »

Asked a question about this because I was worried about it warping after I had removed a lot of material from one side so thought it only right to post the finished job.
Customer first asked if I would be able to make a Unicorn plate, just the head. Apparently his Daughter is loves them, couple of days after that he asked if I could make a surround for it & a couple of days after that he asked if I would be able to add some text. Think the text is something his Daughter wrote at some point.

The backing board will be mounted on a wall so I have used magnets to ensure the plate stays in place, machined holes in the back of the board for the magnets to within about 1.5mm of the base of the pocket so the pockets on the backing board don't show. Couldn't do the same thing with plate though. After the plate was made I was trying to think of a way I could have made it & hidden the magnets, One option may be to insert the magnets into the base before the 2 wood types are glued together but that may turn out to be a bit to complicated trying to work out where the magnets will end up on the bottom of the plate. Might be a bit to complex for me just now. The other thing I thought which would be a lot easier is to cut the pocket a little deeper & then glue a piece of veneer over the top. It would obviously decrease the effective pull of the magnets but it wouldn't be difficult to use a magnet with a stronger pull or even use 2 of the same type stuck together :lol: :lol: :lol:
plate & back board.jpg
plate back board only.jpg
plate text 2.jpg
plate text 1.jpg
plate only front.jpg
plate only back.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: New Plate Plus

Post by highpockets »

Beautiful work Martin. It came out great!

Just curious though, why does the plate cover the text?

I like the idea of a veneer over the back of the plate.

After the fact, you could use a little paint to match up the wood to hide the magnets a bit.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

You've got a little bit of everything in this beautiful custom project Martin! :)

Without dislocating your shoulder, give yourself a two handed pat on the back:)

Well done sir! :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Martin, it looks good and turned out quite nice. Why do you want to use magnets, does the Unicorn plate ever need to be removed? If not, double-sided tape may work better than magnets and a lot easier.

I did some plaques a while back that had some heavy metal insignia pins, which I attached using double-side tape that work quite well.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27471&p=198169&hil ... es#p198169

Gary

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Martin,
Just putzing around and remembered a saying when building the house;
"If you can't match the grain...Celebrate the difference".
Remembered a cribbage board from really funky figured Black Walnut that warped a little and the leather pads would have left a little wobble, I pocketed a hole a little deeper than needed, filled the pocket with adhesive(Goop), added leather and rested on granite coutertop for 20 minutes and then removed excess and let harden. Because the leather was fairly soft and thick..the owner still says it's stable a year and a half in it's new home.
BUT that's neither here nor there for you, BUT got me thinking of maybe adding a circle of thin Chamois leather on top of the magnet?
Tested my smallest(.25") magnets with my thinnest Chamois, and no noticeable difference in hold(although there has to be some).
It would also help to prevent scratching the bottom of the Unicorn when used as a dish.
Wouldn't work on this project as there are only two magnets, but might be worth thinking about if you ever make such a beautiful project again?
Just thinking:) (dangerous:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Beautiful work Martin.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the comments people much appreciated :lol: :lol:

John, the text was something he asked about after the job had started, it is something that really only means something to the 2 of them so it doesn't need to be prominent, in fact the reason I didn't colour the text the same as I did her name was because I didn't want it to stand out to much :lol: :lol:

Scott thanks for the suggestions might not ever make another one of these but sure I will have other projects that involve magnets :lol: :lol:

Gary, the plate is to be used which is why it had to be fitted some way it could be removed easily, Her Dad came in last week to see how things were going & said he couldn't wait to see her eating her snacks from it lol, the Elm board will be mounted on the wall in her bedroom I believe. I have made a few different animal shaped plates now & they all have food safe finishes so they can be used :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Funny how the simplest things are the ones we don't consider :lol: :lol:

Thanks Scott & John for reminding me :lol:

I wasn't going to go out & buy a tin of paint just for this one Job because I knew I would never use it again & I don't have any Chamois leather that I could use either but Hey I'm a signmaker & there is always vinyl kicking about the workshop, so rummage through the off cuts box & found a bit of Brown, cut 2 magnet sized circles on the plotter & stuck them on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

platevback2.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Creative solution :idea:
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

:D
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

highpockets wrote:Creative solution :idea:
Yes but unfortunately not mine :oops: It was yours & Scotts comments about colouring the magnets, I just used what was on hand :lol: :lol:

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Beautiful as always Martin. I am certain it will be well received and cherished for years to come. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

Great work, the project turned out just beautiful! I'm sure she will cherish it for years.

Mark