Linen Fold & Traditional Raised Panels for walls

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Linen Fold & Traditional Raised Panels for walls

Post by TSM2018 »

Referencing a message from tmerrill, there was a Linen fold tutorial. I see the linen fold clip art in Aspire, I have watched the Banner and Ribbon tutorial, but I cannot locate banner-Lfold.exe in a google search.
Did Vectric decide to not post content from user group meetings after 2016? This message is from 2009, if anyone can point me to the video's existence.

I need to trace the clip art, and then model with a two rail sweep and and use molding type profile? has one created a two sided linen fold panel; I realize it isn't needed in a raised panel application on a wall, (you don't see it on the back) but it does add a little wow to the portfolio for sample purposes...

What puzzles me for linen fold paneling, are you setting it in a traditional raised panel frame? The last raised panel project we did was a faux raised panel project.

Thanks -

Re: Learning new tricks from user group meeting
Postby tmerrill » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Phil,

You will find it in "8 Aspire Modeling Projects" and the video is labeled "Banner-Lfold.exe"

Tim
tmerrill
Vectric Archimage

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Linen Fold & Traditional Raised Panels for walls

Post by martin54 »

I don't know Vectrics policy but from what I have seen during the time I have been using the forum is that the user group meeting tutorials don't get added for quite some time. I would think that they will add the 2017 tutorials at some point in the future but couldn't say when :lol: :lol:

Sorry can't help with the tutorial you are looking for but not all the training videos seem to be in the same place so if this is an older tutorial you may not find it by searching the vectric product support :lol: :lol:

Have a look through these from youtube to see if what you are looking for is there :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Vectric has it on a DVD from 2009 UGM training, clicking on the buy now button says that it isn't available at this time, but it give an email address. If you contact Vectric maybe they can help.

http://www.vectric.com/company/news/200 ... lable.html
John
Maker of Chips

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Referencing the Vectric Clip Art Guid Aspire v8.5, I found a linen fold clipart.

One is a 3DClip file

The file from Clip art has two center folds and 4 folds of linen on each side. I would like to remove some of the side folds. The linen is already shaped in 3D, so I simply want to cut some of the fold.
I drew a rectangle around the folds and attempted to use the scissor tool, and no result. Please advise if there is a possibility to edit the file.

Thanks -

I cut and pasted this info from the Clip Art Guide pdf for reference purposes.

*.3DCLIP
Files with this extension contain only 3D data; they can be imported into an active session of the
software from the Import a component or 3D model icon on the modeling tab or dragged and
dropped into the 2D or 3D view either from the 3D Clipart Tab or a file folder on your PC.
A 3DCLIP file may contain a single component or may be a group of components that can be
ungrouped after import to access its original constituent pieces.
-X
The “-X” suffix on a 3DCLIP file name indicates that it contains a group of individual
components that make up the model, files without this indicate that they contain just a
single component. The –X files can be a useful teaching aid to see how individual pieces can
be used to make a more complex finished part.
*.CRV3D
Files with this extension may contain 2D and 3D data; they can be opened directly in Aspire as a new
file. In addition they can also be imported into an active session of Aspire either by using the Import
vectors from a file icon on the drawing tab (to import 2D data) or by using the Import a
component or 3D model icon on the modeling tab (to import the 3D data).
These files can also be dragged and dropped into the 2D view either from the 3D Clipart Tab or a file
folder on your PC. By default when you drag and drop a CRV3D file that contains both 2D and 3D
data the 3D data will be imported. Holding Shift down when dragging and dropping a CRV3D file will
ensure that the vectors are imported rather than the 3D.
Importing 3D data from a CRV3D file will bring it in as a single component. Importing 2D data will
lose the layer information in the file and bring it all in on the active layer.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

To remove parts of a 3D model you would need to use the Split Component with vector tool or the Trim Objects tool.

With the former you draw a line to split the model and with the latter you draw a closed shape and choose to delete everything inside or outside of that shape.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Thank you Adrian! Still learning...but I did watch a couple of tutorials and managed to find the answers to a couple of my questions.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Aspire required that I bake the component first in order to split the component.
While I am able to execute the icon to trim (modeling tab, then trim object) with vector selected or not, nothing happens where I can remove objects inside or outside.

The other operation does not work either.
Attachments
Doc results of trying to remove folds on linen.pdf
(112.12 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The vector and component has to be selected together (hold shift while clicking) before running either tool. That's the message you got in the first instance. I don't think you needed to bake.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Seeing is believing, unable to remove 3 folds on each side of file (not clip version).
Attachments
Linen Fold Test 8.28.crv3d
(170.5 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Screen snippets of user experience. Are we sure this model can be edited?

I have spent an hour this morning trying to edit it and it is not allowing me to edit. So what am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Doc results of trying to remove folds on linen.pdf
(159.75 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The split works fine for me. Don't forget that you need to delete the part you don't want, it will create two components that look just like one until you do that.

I highlighted the wrong tool for the clear inside/outside (it's actually the the first two icons on the third row) and that works fine as well.

Make sure you don't have the vector that surrounds the linen fold selected when doing either operation.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

You're using the wrong tool. The one you're trying is for vectors. Use one of these tools from the Modeling tab:
clipping tools.JPG
clipping tools.JPG (8.31 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
The first clears the component inside the vector. The second clears the component outside the vector. The third splits the component.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

FYI, I was able to finally able to remove some of the folds from the vectric file. Clearly a USER issue. Our fearless DWC leader, Laney, connect with me via Team Viewer app, and my problem was solved. He drew a line, selected the line and the linen fold, split, saw the two layers and then I delete the folds I did not want to keep.

Problem solved. THANK YOU everyone for your assistance. Laney at Digital Wood Carvers is a class act!

I machined it today and am pleased with my test.