rotary index aspire

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
PATRICKCUES
Model of CNC Machine: LAGUNA IQ

Re: rotary index aspire

Post by PATRICKCUES »

The wrapping job doesn't do what I'm looking for. I'm cutting a pocket at 0 and then cut another of the same pocket at 90 and another at 180. Individual pockets. Not wrapping .

Vcarve and aspire doesn't support this. Rhino does it what i was just told from Laguna

Thanks

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Wayne Locke »

Maybe I am unbelievably dense but here is a shaft with 4 inlays 90 deg apart and cut with one file.
FlatInlays.jpeg
RoundInlays.jpeg
If this is not what you are looking for would you post a better description or a drawing because this seems to meet your requirements, pockets 90 deg apart and one toolpath.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I don't think you are unbelievably dense. You have a good handle on how the wrapping routine works.

In my first post in this thread, I said that it is possible to do it as a wrapped job, though I have not tried it.

I do understand the posters position on this and I do think that Vectric could be better if it were a bit more capable on the full 3D side of things.

It's always a personal choice as to what a person wants to use and do. Therefore, the poster can choose what they want. The poster wants it to operate in a particular manner. I agree with him, and wish the same thing. However what he wants requires some G-Code editing. For some of us that is simple, but for others of us, not so simple. Maybe somday, Vectric will do this sort of thing, maybe not. Again a choice. I do know that the competition to Vectric is FAR more expensive, and not as user friendly.

I also hope that someday Vectric will come up to speed on full 3D machining.

I think though in your last example, maybe the bottom of the pocket is radiused and not flat? That could be an issue.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Pockets done with the wrapping feature have sides that are radial (toward the center of the turning) rather than vertical. Anything other than a simple single plunge or vertical line with no sideways movement has this flaw when all X (or Y) moves are changed to A (or B) moves.

I'm often cutting mortises for stretchers on 2 sides of turned legs. My mortise slots only match my tenon cuts if done as indexed X/Y/Z cuts with A only moving when I need to rotate to the second side.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Wayne...
Unless they are incredibly thin the pockets for inlays on a rotary blank need to be cut without rotation so that the inserts can also be cut on the flat. If not, like stated above, the bottom will be radiused and the radial sides will be angled and the axial will be perpendicular making it impossible to cut a matching inlay.

In most cases pendant controls do not have the ability to perform exact moves, i.e. 90*. That is why it must be added manually to the file or employ the trickery that I mentioned above.

Possibly for this user a number of simple files could be made with relative moves for the rotary axis. They could be called up at will. Something Similar to:

G91 G0 B90
G90

Or exact positioning like G0 B90, 120, 270, 60, etc. Those files could be called up from file storage and executed in a second or two, then the pocket file rerun.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I wasn't even thinking of the sides, but that is a good point. That alone takes the wrapping out of the picture.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

One issue that has not been brought up is cutting "off axis" on the rotary.

What is meant by that is when the rotary is positioned the tool cuts off the centerline of the rotary axis during XYZ milling routines.

The further the cutter is from the center line of the rotary axis the greater mechanical advantage it has. Most rotaries that allow this type of machining have a "clamping" ability. The rotary positions, and then a clamp locks the axis in place during cutting. This prevents the force of the cutter from overcoming the drive motor.

On a pool cue using small cutters I doubt it would be a problem, but for those of you thinking about doing larger diameter work, do some serious thinking about how you will lock that axis during the cut.

Myself? I just took the simple route for doing this stuff. I made an indexing plate that attaches to the rotary axis. It is a plate with lots of holes precisely placed. Behind it is a piece that has a pin that engages the indexing plate, locking it in place. Virtually the same thing as seen on many lathes for indexing work. When I use it there is no power to the rotary axis so I can turn it by hand. OMG!!! By hand!!!! It works. For me, doing a whole bunch of thinking and fiddling around to get it to work under program control is just not worth the effort.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

lawrence
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD

Post by lawrence »

Would it be possible to do v-carve inlays around the rotary? This would alleviate the sides issue

lawrence

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

I made a push button controller that I could connect to my indexer independent of the cnc that can use degrees, divisions or full rotary at the manual push of a button
In my code I insert a pause of 5 seconds that allows me time to press a button, indexer moves to next position cnc cuts waits for next index move then cuts again.

Another good point is I can take the indexer and controller put it on a milling machine to cut a job, I have even used it on a saw table to cut an 8 segment tapered end on some shafts.

Phill
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

I often use a rotary axis as an indexer to do repeat operations at a number of equally spaced positions.

I add this snippet at the end of the code,

G91 G0 A90 (whatever angle required)
G90
M47 (repeat program from first line)

Certainly not something that would be used in a production environment, but works for me.

PATRICKCUES

Post by PATRICKCUES »

This is what I'm doing
Attachments
20180809_033315.jpg

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Sweet. Is the signature hand written, or did you inlay that too? :-)

PATRICKCUES

Post by PATRICKCUES »

No I hand sign all of my cues

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

rotary index aspire

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Thank you.

PATRICKCUES

Post by PATRICKCUES »

Wayne Locke wrote:Maybe I am unbelievably dense but here is a shaft with 4 inlays 90 deg apart and cut with one file.
FlatInlays.jpeg
RoundInlays.jpeg
If this is not what you are looking for would you post a better description or a drawing because this seems to meet your requirements, pockets 90 deg apart and one toolpath.

I would like to talk with you. To see how you did this.
If you would give me a call please

Thank you
Doug Patrick