Wooden Tape Measure

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Wooden Tape Measure

Post by garylmast »

This is a goofy little project. I got the idea from an Instructables posting last year on a handmade wood tape measure. I used one of the free tape measures I got from Harbor Freight, so I really had no cost, other than a small piece of cherry scrap wood. I used a 2" piece of Walnut Edge Tape for the center. I attached the stl files I modeled in Rhino if anybody wants to play around making one.

Gary
Tape Measure.jpg
TapeMeasureParts ZIP.zip
(571.31 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Re: Wooden Tape Measure

Post by Fleming »

Neat idea and since my small tape just went kaputz very timely :D
Cobblewood Carver

galerdude
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's 4x4 Hybrid R&P Evolution

Post by galerdude »

Thank you for sharing the files!
Looks like a very neat project.
Regards,
Gale

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thank you Gary for the idea and the STL files for the tape measure. I think the tape measure would be a great gift for friends.

I have been playing around with the files and importing them into Aspire. The files import without a problem but the file comes in with different colors.
The outer areas of the files are white and the inner areas are dark. I’m having difficulty when I outline the files with the modeling tool once imported.
It outlines the files but I can’t seem to make vector corrections as the files are white so I can’t see what I’m doing and the outline is not perfect on the white part.

I haven’t played around too much with the STL files so wondering if you could shed some light on the color difference in the same file.
I even changed the color of the files in the STL edit program but it won’t let me create a STL file with the changes,
it says I will lose some of the data on the save as file option.

Thanks again for the STL files and any information you can provide.
Mark

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

What a cool idea. I have a couple of friends that would love one of these. Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I have been playing around with the files and importing them into Aspire. The files import without a problem but the file comes in with different colors.
The outer areas of the files are white and the inner areas are dark. I’m having difficulty when I outline the files with the modeling tool once imported.
It outlines the files but I can’t seem to make vector corrections as the files are white so I can’t see what I’m doing and the outline is not perfect on the white part.

Mark,
I imported mine as a two-side job, with the negative offset on the limit plane at -0.23". There is no reason to outline the components since the toolpath exceeds pass the plane. Make sure you have the Boundary Offset the same as the diameter of you mill. You do need to create tabs on a different layer by importing the tabs located under Clipart. When you select each toolpath, check "model" under selected level.

I attached another file with the stl grouped so you can cut them out all at once. There should be no reason for additional modeling. The piece of wood I used was 4/4 thick, measuring 0.92". x 5.5"H x 10"W.

Hope that clears things up.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Merge of 3 parts.zip
(648.48 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thanks for the additional information. I will give it a go as soon as I can.
How log did it take to cut the parts out?

Mark

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Wooden Tape Measure

Post by Bobtail Farm »

nifty. thanks.

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »