This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: I already know the answer to this question, but I'll ask

Post by martin54 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
They whip out a MacBook
Unless they are doing their work on Sketchup or conFusion360, then it's not a big deal.

Instead it goes downhill when they want the prototype for free because "we'll make it up in volume down the road."
Or they know a lot of other people who will also want one :lol: :lol:

As Randall says its not generally a problem, as a signmaker I get designs to print from designers running Mac's & I use PC's not sure if its the same for 3D files but with 2D then there are cross platform formats that the artwork can be saved in :lol:

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

martin54 wrote:
Rcnewcomb wrote:
They whip out a MacBook
As Randall says its not generally a problem, as a signmaker I get designs to print from designers running Mac's & I use PC's not sure if its the same for 3D files but with 2D then there are cross platform formats that the artwork can be saved in :lol:
It's not the file format that's the problem. It may just be coincidence, but the macbot people seem to be much harder to please. Seems as though they think "hey, it's easy to do this on my Mac, it should be easy for you" attitude. The guy who gives you a sketch on a napkin is always easier to please.

Ollywood
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 5 x 10 Plus w/atc

Post by Ollywood »

I use a MacBook, thank you. I divided my hard drive and run windows 10 in bootcamp.

My mac is more expensive, but I've never had one issue with windows on it, works better than any Dell I've had (don't get me started)

Inches. mm are for guys who wear the sweaters tied around their shoulders.

Confusion 360? hahahah!

i thought I was an idiot, but the more people I ask, I realize that it's not just me. I use it for modeling, work out the sizes and input to VCP.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

To answer the initial question, I hope Vectric staff is working on much more useful topics than a Mac port, like improving toolpath efficiency.

Having said that, welcome to the idiot club, Ollywood. I'm a long time member and we're not alone on this forum :D .

I generally don't take part into Mac-PC fights, or Mac OS-Windows wars.

I'll add my word here. Just because people on this forum are smart, helpful and generally open to debate.

Strangely, this thread is not as friendly as usual. I still wonder why PC users are so upset by Macs.

The paradox is that most often, they have very few knowledge of the Mac world. As the opposite of lots of Mac users that are also long time Windows users and choose to stay on Mac. Just to emphasize how stupid we are :D

There are also generally very few objective arguments against Mac. It seems people don't like Mac. Why? Because. Believe me, I know a lot of objective flaws in Mac OS and in Apple machines. And Apple often pi**es me off. But I rarely hear these actual issues from people who criticise Mac.

Curiously, this forum looks like Mac forums (sorry if you find this offending :D ): helpful and full of goodwill. As the opposite of a lot of PC forums where you get flamed if you ask a newbie question about the register or another technical issue considered as trivial by the self-proclaimed forum Gurus. Nothing like that here, were every newbie question is kindly answered.

Please be kind to us, poor Mac users who don't even understand how crappy our choice is :D
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Ollywood wrote: Inches. mm are for guys who wear the sweaters tied around their shoulders.
mm are for 94% of the worlds population :wink: :lol:

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Re: Metric is fine if you go metric for everything.

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear All

I realise this is off topic of the original thread, but..

'Metric is fine if you go metric for everything.'

We use shedloads of 10'-0" x 4'-0" x 18mm MRMDF

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin