Gap Below Model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6+

Gap Below Model

Post by tjimholte »

I am using Desktop and can't seem to get the Gap Under Model in material set up to work properly. I also tried adjusting the model base height and can't get that to work right either.

So I have a block of wood 2.25 high, 3 wide and 7 long. I am making a 2.125 diameter ball directly in the middle of the block of wood. I am using the 2 sided feature and the Dome 90 from clipart. Right now every time I create a toolpath I basically cuts through the material so nothing is holding the ball after I machine it.

I would like to place a 1/32 gap under the model on each side so after I cut I will end up with 1/16 inch of material all the way around (to hold the ball in place) after machining.

How do I do this? What am I doing wrong? It appears to work in Aspire but I need to get it to work in Desktop.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TJ

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Gap Below Model

Post by highpockets »

Set the two 90° domes back to default settings.
If you don't already have one, add a Zero Plane to both sides.
On the top side leave the zero plane at 0 base height.
On the bottom side set the zero plane base height to .03125"
In the Material Settings set the Model Position in Material Gap Below Model. Gap should show as .1089.

Hope this helps.
Image 191.png
Image 192.png
Image 189.png
Image 190.png
Image 188.png
John
Maker of Chips

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Hmm, how do I insert a zero plane? Is that just adding a level? I can do it in Aspire but it is greyed out in Desktop. Is that not an available feature in desktop or have I somehow disabled it?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I don't have Desktop so I'm not sure.

Under menu option Model->Add Zero Plane on older versions of VCP. On the new version it's an icon on the 3D Modeling Tools
John
Maker of Chips

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Thanks for this John, It does help but I am still struggling. What is the function of the zero plane? When I followed your instructions in Aspire I end up with a sphere that has a .03125 solid shape through it the size of my work piece. I really just want to end up with a round ball and then hand cut out the material around to get the ball out of the 3 x 7 block. Does that make sense?
Attachments
IMG_4901.JPG

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

I got it John. It was in the modeling tab on Desktop.

Thanks a million for your help.