trouble with the tutorials

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
argreen

trouble with the tutorials

Post by argreen »

Hopefully my following comment will not brand me as a sexist but since Vectric changed the tutorials to a women's voice I can not understand what she is saying. Granted, my hearing is poor especially with the higher pitch of a women's voice. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a workaround?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: trouble with the tutorials

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you watch the versions on YouTube you can enable captions.

I’ve requested that they have an option for captions in future tutorials since my hearing is poor. But I know that adds the the complexity of producing the videos.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

garymkrieg
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight Mega V

Post by garymkrieg »

Your not alone between the high pitched tone and the English accent someone who is hard oi hearing will experience problems, I do. Getting old is not easy!

Gary

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I agree, I have to wear head phones with the volume all the way up to listen to the tutorials. That said, I really like her tutoring style. "I'm happy with that" :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Don't think you can be though of as being sexist if you mention what for you seems to be a valid point :lol: :lol:
I am a bit like John (highpockets) I wear headphones for a lot of things that I do on the internet, tutorials from Vectric are no different from some others I have watched/listened to but the accent isn't a problem as I am in the UK myself :lol: :lol:

Some of the tutorials I watch seem to have very good sound quality so maybe it is something Vectric could look into if people are having problems. They keep an eye on the forum but some things don't get noticed so best thing to do is to send an email to support & highlight the difficulties you are having, looks like your not the only one so this is something that they would want brought to their attention :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

I also like Becky's style of teaching but have a rough time understanding some of the words.

I also have to wear a headset with the volume up to get all the words and even then I have to rewind a little once in a while.

Closed caption would be a good feature.

Mark

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Another thing that would help would be if they would use a large, dark, cursor with a tail. I've already suggested it to Vectric Support.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Dale1944
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Homemade

Post by Dale1944 »

Amen to all of the above. Becky is incredibly talented and has so much to share. Unlike Martin, I hear with a pronounced American accent. This is in addition to the above mentioned auditory problems. I would greatly appreciate any ameliorative actions Vectric is able to accomplish.

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Post by carbidetooth »

Funny, I kinda like Becki's accent and manner, but I also use headphones because of lousy hearing. In fact, I must find it kinda soothing, as they sometimes seem to....to...…..make me....sleepy!

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

For once, I am grateful that Vectric decided to use Becki to do the tutorials. I understand her just fine. I do not even need earphones albeit being in the Armoured Corps for 26 years.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

I do enjoy listening to Becki on the tutorials. I do have to turn my speakers way up because of being a landing signal officer landing and launching helicopters off Coast Guard ship flight decks. Standing a few feet in front of turbine engines is a little hard on the high frequency hearing range. :shock:

KMoffett
Model of CNC Machine: Milltronics VKM4

Post by KMoffett »

Hearing aids folks! After trying to watch "Darkest Hour" in the theater, I had my hearing checked. Between the British accent, Churchill's mumbling, and the loud music over the dialog I missed half the movie. Up to 1KHz I'm OK. But after that it's a very steep drop. OK, it was $4,200USD for a pair of programmable hearing aids. But god the difference. :) Even my family noticed the difference in me. Much less what...What...WHAT! The audiologist demanded that I wear ear protectors when machining, as hearings only goes down hill. Think about it. For those of you who wear glasses, do you ever regret getting them?

Ken

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Funny in that I've not had any problems understanding what is being said in the tutorials. I do have times in which there are people that I cannot understand and I know part of the issue is me slowing down my brain to concentrate on what they are saying. I find that when I watch one of Becki's tutorials that I listen more carefully because I know she is very knowledgeable about the Vectric products and I just plain enjoy her accent. So, if you have trouble understanding and/or hearing her get some hearing aids as suggested.

keastab
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Solsylva vbearing 45"x72"

Post by keastab »

I can understand the tutorials just fine if I can get the dolby system I have turned up to max. Bass turned off and All the mid and high range sliders to max. the recorded volume of the video when loaded into pinacle editing software is about 1/3 the way up. which makes it an 8 to 35-40 year olds range. Us older folks are going to have problems. I asked my wife who HAS hearing aids if she understood what was being said. Her reply was it's too low. Ummm to one of the posters on here, kicking out money for hearing aids just to understand tutorials is asking a bit much when all it would take is reposition the Mic or getting a better one for tutorials and recording it at a slightly higher level. I do Video editing for a few companies on the side and can record the ads that they want @100% volume and then Edit it to the mixer sound levels I want that is comfortable to most users @ 40% output. even using cheapy Microsoft movie editing software or my high priced stuff.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

We (Vectric staff and I) had a recent discussion about improving volume levels when recording video.

We all agree there is room for improvement. Beki’s more recent audio recordings seem fine to me, but mine need to be boosted. I have a Bluetooth microphone. It sometimes has lost connection without my knowledge during recording. So, I just started talking louder instead of using it, but that’s not a good solution. Volume still varies too much.

I also have another very pricey wireless mic, but the transmitter portion is too unwieldy (big) to connect to the iPhone I use for recording video. My headset wired mic is great when recording at the computer, but cant be used for recording in the shop with the iPhone.

I’m shopping for a mic!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC