Vectors altered after a copy and TRIM operation. How to Fix?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Vectors altered after a copy and TRIM operation. How to Fix?

Post by Ton80 »

I made a screen recording rather than try to describe this in pictures and lots of text.

https://youtu.be/Z63gEcWO2-I -

Two files are attached so you can see them for yourself if you need to. The full project file was too large so it's hosted on my OneDrive - https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArVSbAnAHkVwhj4JhCT7WZlJRBSD

The 3rd screen shot is a screencapture and I placed RED lines where the CURRENT Vectors are joined on the edge of the door and YELLOW highlighting where I am assuming I need to go in and manually edit and rejoin so my Vcarve with a Flat depth is applied in a way that matches what I want to see.. Am I approaching this the easiest way possible?

Thanks!

John
Attachments
LeftDoor-Daugherty.crv
Left Door File which has vectors that need to be modified
(924 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Capture with Red / Yellow lines
Capture with Red / Yellow lines

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Vectors altered after a copy and TRIM operation. How to

Post by Ton80 »

It was a little tricky but I got the vectors to close the way I needed them to ;)

I guess the manual editing is the best/only way to accomplish what I needed to based on the way I build my projects up.

Master file with full design -> copy/paste and trim away parts of vectors that overhang off the job dimensions of the left and right door files -> Fix vectors so they close in a way that keeps my toolpaths applied where I need them.

??? any better way of doing this ???

Have a great weekend
John
Attachments
LeftDoor Preview.png

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

John, is there a reason why you aren't using the tiling option for this ? I am no expert when it comes to tiling but from the little I do know I would think it would work OK for your application & save you the time & trouble of having to create 2 halves the way you are :lol: :lol:

Not got the software on this machine but will look latter to see if there is a better way unless someone else suggests it before I have time which will probably be the case :lol: :lol: :lol:
Really need to rebuild my main design computer so I have access to the software at home lol

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

No reason... didn't think about using it honestly... Not sure how it would change the way I work with these files but if I can find some time, I'll try it. This is just the way I have always done this. I just assumed tiling was for larger boards that won't fit on your machine bed in a way that allows the entire tool pathing process to run the full design. This really wasn't very hard to do though. The trim operation takes less than 60 seconds and I fixed the nodes and vector joins in about 20 minutes for both files.

If with tiling I can't run my full tool paths for a single door, start to finish sometimes two sided, then I don't think it's an option for me. I don't know why but I think I remember reading someone say something along those lines. Anyway, I'll definitely at least look at the manual and a tutorial to try and understand if tiling is an option that might help me! Thanks.

John