3D modeling help in Texas

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Craig Thompson
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x4

3D modeling help in Texas

Post by Craig Thompson »

Hello all, I make law enforcement badges for fallen officers along with other Police, Sheriffs FBI and the Military plaques. I have been doing them in 2 and 2 1/2 D. I really want to get into the 3D modeling. My problem is that modeling is a complicated thing to learn. I have watched video after video. What I am looking for is someone in the Great State of Texas that would be willing to spend some time and teach me how to get started. I see several different classes and meetings but they are all several states away. I do this as a second job, and I cant run from state to state living out of motel rooms to learn. If anyone is interested in making a little extra money to teach, I would be interested in hearing from you. I live in the West Texas area if there is anyone around close by.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: 3D modeling help in Texas

Post by highpockets »

Craig,

Can you post an example of a badge you're trying to make?
John
Maker of Chips

Craig Thompson
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Craig Thompson »

Here is the photo of the one I want to make a 3D model
Attachments
Seminole Police department.jpeg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I'd start by learning how to model the banners. There's a couple of Vectric tutorial to help with that.

Do a Google search for Police badge images to try and find a starting point.
Image 29.png
I know you said you've been making 2 and 2.5d badges so you probably already have some good vector drawings to start with.

I'd recommend getting a Wacom pen tablet, you don't need a really big.

I know there are a couple of people on the forum that have created police badges, hopefully they will chime in and help.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The tutorials on the support page are very good watching the videos alone will teach you very little, a lot of the tutorials come with downloadable files so you can follow along, you would be better downloading those files & then following along with the tutorials rather than just watching. A dual monitor setup, wide screen monitor that can be split in two or 2 computers helps as you can watch on one & follow along on the other :lol: :lol:
Even if you get someone local(ish) to tutor you it is one of those things that takes a lot of practice to be able to do well. It's not just being able to create the individual components that you require, it's putting them all together seamlessly which is something that you could practice using any of the models that come with the software :lol:
Best of luck with what ever you do, personally I have a very long way to go but don't get a lot of time to practise which is essential :oops:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Michael Mezalick posted a great tutorial on taking a photo to 3D model http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=santa

He posted both the tutorial as well as the files so you can follow along.

Martin is right, having someone at your elbow isn't the answer, it's not just watching tutorials, but following along, it's the doing that will teach you. That and using the great pool of knowledge on this forum.
John
Maker of Chips

Craig Thompson
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Craig Thompson »

I took one of Michael's classes on Vcarve pro a year or so ago in Dallas Texas. He is very good. I really enjoyed the class. I just wish they were closer to home. I have contacted Michael and he is making me a model of the badge. I will continue to practice and watch the videos. Sometimes you just need a plaque made faster than I can design it. So until I get better Michael is my best friend. Thanks for all the advise, I really appreciate it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

So until I get better Michael is my best friend

Well your not alone there :lol: :lol: , I know a couple of people who would say the same thing, I haven't had the need for any models that aren't either currently supplied with the software or available from people like Design & Make but if I did then I would have to do the same thing as my own modelling skills are non existent :oops: :oops:
I have been doing 2D work as a signmaker working with vinyl & digital print for about 17 years & don't remember having problems learning to work with 2D graphics but for me 3D seems to be more of a challenge
I am sure with time I will get better especially with all the help & support Vectric offer :lol: