JTech lasers - good or bad investment

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

JTech lasers - good or bad investment

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

I'm looking at doing entry level engraving on wood, glass, plastics, acrylics, etc.. I'm also going to be cutting very thin pieces (1/32", 1/16") walnut, cherry, oak, maple, baltic birch, plastics, acrylics. It's mainly going to be for hobby applications (model ship building mainly), some work in my cabinet/furniture company. Cutting and working with thicker material, well, that's why I have a CNC machine. LOL

I don't have the $$$$$ to purchase one of the high power lasers (Epilog, etc.), so that option is off the table. Nor do I have the horizontal surface real estate in my shop to put one of the self contained jobies....

I've got 23 years electronics experience in the Coast Guard, so can work on the electronics.

I've been looking at the JTech 3.8W kit for my Shopbot PRS Alpha. I was wondering what luck people have had with this companies' lasers, integration with Shopbot CNC's, company/forum support (like Vectric) and Aspire working with the JTech?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :D

Don

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Re: JTech lasers - good or bad investment

Post by Pete Cyr »

https://www.bosslaser.com/

I don't beleive you will be able to cut through the thickness you list in you discussion - I would recommend checking the machine sold at the link listed. I purchased a 1630 100 watt a couple years ago and I am very satisfied. Good customer service they stand behind thier product.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I put a cheapo 2.5 watt on my machine. It will cut through thin veneers. I have cut up to .040 thick. But that required about 6 passes at a very slow feedrate, about 10 IPM. But, that is just fine for what I am doing, small inlay pieces. Engraving is done at about 40 IPM or a little more and comes out very nice.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

Thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate your input.

Let's expand this to Opt Lasers (out of Poland). https://optlasers.com/

Anyone have experience with this company and its products? Is there support in Aspire for these laser systems? Does Aspire (or will it in the future) support varying the power output these lasers offer to do grayscale engraving versus turn-on, turn-off method?

Thanks again!!

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

I imagine a $8700 Boss laser would be better than a $500 J Tech :D But to answer the original question, I have one of their 2.8W kits and I like it. Haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces so not fully sure of its capabilities. It should be able to cut through the materials you described, but as others mentioned it may take a few passes. Their Vectric support is great and very easy to follow setting up the PP's. I don't have a Shopbot but from their literature, it looks to be pretty easy to setup and it mentions that they went to Shopbot to discuss how to do it. The J Tech company support is great. I had a problem setting mine up (parallel port issue, not laser) and they spent a lot of time helping me work through it until it was solved. I don't know anything about the Opt Lasers, although they are interesting from a price and power stand point, as long as you can figure out how to hook it all up (instructions weren't as good as J Tech).