3D Cutout

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
GervRich
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 4 extended

3D Cutout

Post by GervRich »

Hello All,

I am very green to the CNC world and only been using VCP for the last 2 weeks. My questions is how can I take a eagle 3D model that I have and make it raised on the material instead of having it below the material. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: 3D Cutout

Post by mtylerfl »

Create a pocket that is the same depth as your eagle model is thick.

Place the eagle model in the pocket and it will be raised above the surrounding pocket floor.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Made a 3.5 minute video of the process for you. here is the link:

https://www.screencast.com/t/lL4pN7FUOnB

(Note: I mistakenly narrated that I used a .125" BN for the pocket. Actually, I had a .125" EM for the pocket and a .125" BN for the Finish Pass for this quick-n-dirty example.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

Thank You so much. This amazes me how willing and helpful people are on here. Thank You for taking the time to make a video.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the boundary offset and why would that be adjusted? Would it be adjusted based of the bit that i am using.

Thanks
Ric

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

You are very welcome.

The bit Offset of 0.07" is slightly more than the radius of the 0.125" BN carving Bit. If that Offset wasn't specified, the center of the bit would stop at the vector boundary, thus not fully carving the edges of the model. It's common practice to specify a tad more than the bit radius for "insurance".

Many of the tutorial videos mention this, albeit sometimes not emphasized except in a few of them. Since you are new to the software, watching the tutorials will be helpful I'm sure. Try to watch at least two a day (or more, if you have time and don't get brain freeze too easily!).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

Will do and thanks again

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

Hey Mike,

Not sure if this will get back to you but I have been having a little issue with the 3d image. I do everything like your video to a T. For The project I am trying to do is a 3d model of a american flag with a eagle. I got this from design and make. I am doing it on a small 6x6 and i am using a 1/8 BN. The issue I am having is when i go to do the finishing pass on the imagine it drives the BN all the way to the bottom of the wood.

Now how i setup is the XY is in the middle of the board and this is because i am using a touch plate for virtual zeroing. I virtual zero to start the job and once the pocketing is done i do the same for the finish pass. Now I save two separate files on my USB. One being the pocket cut and the second being the finish cut.

I'm sorry if i'm not making any sense but I cant figure out why the BN is plunging all the way to the bottom on the finish pass. The Pocket pass works just fine.

Thanks
Ric

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the .crv file here on the forum? By reviewing your file we here can solve your mystery problem without having to go through a bunch of wild guesses!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

Sharkcutup, Did the crv file come through? Becuase my post is not showing up

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Did the crv file come through? Because my post is not showing up
There is a size limit on the files that be uploaded directly to the forum. Sometimes you can ZIP the file to get it under the 3MB limit.

Otherwise you can upload it to a Google Drive, or a site like dropbox, and then just post the link to the large file.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

Sorry folks for the delay. Hopefully i am doing this right as i never used google drive before. Let me know what you guys think. This is a different file then i was originally talking about. Its just a larger work piece.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10SE_Au ... sp=sharing

Thanks again for the help
Ric

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Got the file, reviewing it now.

VCarve Program

Increasing the depth of your pocket another .05 will get rid of the boundary cut surrounding the model. And in doing so you will probably want to increase the depth of the V-Carved letters the same amount. V-Carve of letters set the start depth to .45 and put check mark in box on the flat depth and set it to .05
land of free.jpg
This would be the end results.

CNC Machine Setup

Question: Are you putting the touch plate on the material to be cut/machined/carved or are you putting it on the machine bed when you set the z-zero???
Note: According to your V-Carve program you should be setting up the touch plate on the "material surface" at the "center" of your material.

I believe know know where your problem lies. After the pocket you are setting the z-zero from the pocketed surface after changing your bit from the end mill to the BN. This would definitely cause the BN to bottom out. Even though most of the material is cutout for the pocket you need to set z-zero with the touch plate on the outer edge (frame) where it has not cut for the new bit (BN).

When changing to the V-bit you will need to set the Z-Zero the same way.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

Thanks for getting back to me. The preview imagine shows up exactly how you have it. I do use the plate on the surface of the material in the center. The Em cuts it out just right. Once the pocket cutting is done it goes back to xy zero and I change the bit to the BN.

I tried using the plate at the xy zero and it plunged to the bottom. I then selected on the pendant, use existing points and not to use virtual zero and it still plunged to the bottom. The only thing I have not tried is what you said is to take the touch plate to the untouched surface.

The issue I have with that is that when I setup my designs I always setup my xy zero in the center. The reason I do that is because when I set the xy to the bottom left corner and go to use the plate for virtual zero it would not work. I hope all this makes sense.

Sorry if it does not as I only had the machine for a month now and I am new to the cnc world.

Thank You for the help and patience
Ric

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

You can still set the xy zero at the center that does not have to change. You just have to use another place for only (Z)-zero which is not cut/carved/machined out. Of course you will have to have the machine return to xy zero for the start of your program run.

Does that make sense!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

GervRich

Post by GervRich »

So if i understand you right, I would move the router to a section that has not been touched and then select on the pendant use existing points. then have the router touch the plate at the UN-touched part of the wood.

The only question I have is how would i get the router back to the xy zero after it touches the plate. Because I believe it only allows you to start the program run. Sorry i am trying to envision the pendant in my head as I am writing this.