VCarve inlays and flat depth

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: VCarve inlays and flat depth

Post by FixitMike »

A V bit will only cut as deep as the pass depth entered into the tool information. If the total depth is more, it will take multiple passes. Note the description of the VCarve toolpath in Help-Help Contents.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

FixitMike wrote:A V bit will only cut as deep as the pass depth entered into the tool information. If the total depth is more, it will take multiple passes. Note the description of the VCarve toolpath in Help-Help Contents.
I think it's the first move to the start depth that is the issue, because the Vinlay method is basically a hack it's using the start depth in a way that is not intended with material actually present rather than being a pocket etc. For that move it's a straight plunge without regard to the pass depth as there is no cutting going on as far as the software is concerned.

edwardharp
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC 1100

Post by edwardharp »

Adrian wrote:
FixitMike wrote:A V bit will only cut as deep as the pass depth entered into the tool information. If the total depth is more, it will take multiple passes. Note the description of the VCarve toolpath in Help-Help Contents.
I think it's the first move to the start depth that is the issue, because the Vinlay method is basically a hack it's using the start depth in a way that is not intended with material actually present rather than being a pocket etc. For that move it's a straight plunge without regard to the pass depth as there is no cutting going on as far as the software is concerned.
Thank you.

It would do Vectric much good to stop treating this as a hack and make it work for real. We would all benefit from that.

They seem to resist adding functionality like this. For example again, V cutter tip width. Not an issue with wood but definitely with metal because you could never use a cutter with a point on it. They break off. And because they do not account for the tip width, you get steps in the cutting and there are even articles they publish about that issue but they skirt around it rather than simply fixing it. They do have a tool that allows for a tip width but you cannot use that for VCarve operations.

As a software developer myself, I find this extremely frustrating because I know it wouldn't be that difficult to fix these things.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Vectric have commented in the past that the software is designed for wood not metal. Couldn't you use the engraving tool setup for a cutter with a flat tip as that type of cutter will work with a VCarve toolpath?

edwardharp

Post by edwardharp »

Adrian wrote:Vectric have commented in the past that the software is designed for wood not metal. Couldn't you use the engraving tool setup for a cutter with a flat tip as that type of cutter will work with a VCarve toolpath?
They suggested that but it doesn't work. You have to use a V cutting tool for VCarve paths.

And yes, I understand that software is originally designed with certain things in mind. The software I write for a living is used by hundreds of millions of people.

But here in the creative realm good things happen that are not expected. I heard about using VCarve operations to do inlays from Vectric. And they work really well. And you can have sharp corners.

They embrace it well enough to sell their software. They should embrace it well enough to support it a little. It wouldn't take that much effort and they would have happier and more productive users.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

An engraving tool (as does a ballnose) works for VCarve toolpaths not just vbits. The engraving tool has the option of a flat bit so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The software I write for a living
You're missing a golden opportunity. Vectric allows you to extend the capabilities of the product by writing gadgets. Perhaps you could write a "V-Inlay" gadget that behaves exactly as you want it to.

edwardharp

Post by edwardharp »

adze_cnc wrote:
You're missing a golden opportunity. Vectric allows you to extend the capabilities of the product by writing gadgets. Perhaps you could write a "V-Inlay" gadget that behaves exactly as you want it to.
I will have to have a look.

I doubt I could hook in where I want to though. A lot went into their VCarve tool path generation. I just want to get a little control over passes, not tool paths.

But I will look anyway.

edwardharp

Post by edwardharp »

Adrian wrote:An engraving tool (as does a ballnose) works for VCarve toolpaths not just vbits. The engraving tool has the option of a flat bit so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.
I tried it. It did not work.

edwardharp

Post by edwardharp »

adze_cnc wrote:
I looked and it's interesting but one would have to reproduce the entire thing to pull it off. And given their plugins are written in Lua, performance would probably be an issue not to mention all the knowledge one could have to scare up to produce those VCarve paths.

I've not written CAM software yet. 8)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

edwardharp wrote:
Adrian wrote:An engraving tool (as does a ballnose) works for VCarve toolpaths not just vbits. The engraving tool has the option of a flat bit so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.
What didn't work about it?

edwardharp

Post by edwardharp »

Adrian wrote:
edwardharp wrote:
What didn't work about it?
Sigh.

It was unable to generate paths.

I would not have said what I did about bits other than V bits if it did work. It was suggested by a Vectric support person so I tried it. It did not work.

I read an article about someone doing aluminum plaques with VCarve operations and he explained how Vectric helped him find a way to fix the steps in the cuts but it was less than ideal. His results looked pretty good to me though.

I have made something on the order of 250 unique aluminum name plates, plaques and signs using VCarve operations in aluminum and plastic. And hundreds more in wood. I make a lot of things with a lot of materials and processes. VCarve operations are very useful for decorative stuff, inlays, etc.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Not seeing why VCarving with an engraving bit isn't working...been doing it for quite some time(and as recently as today with a .025"flat).
Using VCP9 now...but it worked in 8.
scott
Attachments
VCP 9 VCarve engraving bit.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Edward,

Perhaps you can post an example file that is not working for you. Many of us are puzzled why it's not. Posting a file we can look at would be helpful.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

edwardharp wrote: It all depends on the size of the inlays, the grain of the wood, the species of the wood, etc. And the limitations of the machine for that matter. I use a CNC milling machine because I also do metal and other materials and there is a limit to how fast I can spin the V cutter.
Can you mount an auxiliary high speed spindle to your machine?
That's really the problem here. With a high speed spindle, you probably wouldn't be having the issues that you are.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com