This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

joining 2 vector lines to arc

Post by Ton80 »

2 lines on either side of a 3pt arc
2 lines on either side of a 3pt arc
I am having a moment... lol. I have done this before but for the life of me I can't get these 3 vectors to become single selectable vector. I've clicked on every single button in the Edit objects section and nothing is working.. HELP before I loose my mind on this simple task. I want this to be toolpathed as a SINGLE line not as 3 single vector lines.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: joining 2 vector lines to arc

Post by Adrian »

You can use the join tool (press J) or you can select two vectors at a time and use whichever of the three join tools (line, curve, common) you want to join them.

I expect you were probably selecting all three vectors which won't work with those three tools, it has to be two at a time.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Here is a crappy video showing you what is happening. None of the join vector tools are working. I tried selecting just 2 vectors. File is attached and I'll be right back with the video link.
New.crv
file with vector lines
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by Ton80 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Here is the video...

https://youtu.be/5HTsXDLO4og

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Use the Vector Validator tool. You've got intersections/overlaps on the straight vectors so they're not being seen as open vectors. Correct that (easier to just delete them and redraw) and it will be fine.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

hmm... ok. I drew this by placing some guide lines exactly 3" in from the left and 3" up from bottom, down from top. That represented the exact point that I wanted my arc ends to join up with the two straight lines. I zoomed in on those guidline intersections and drew my 3 vectors utilizing those intersections. Did that cause my problem?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Not the way I would have done it but I don't see how it would have resulted in vectors like that. It looks like you've drawn up and down a few times rather than a single line.

I never use guidelines. The smart snapping and quick keys features are so good for drawing I always use those.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

I am zooming in on the straight lines... when I move it over slightly it's only showing one line BUT - you are correct about going up and down a few times... when I drew these straight lines it looked like they were not actually drawn the first time so I had to go back over each to get the vector line to actually appear.

SO the overlap is telling me I have two vector lines there? Even though I can only select one, move it off to the side and there is not a second one under it? Confusing and odd but I'll try redrawing.

Deleted those lines and redrew them. This time the joining tools worked. Thanks! I am still confused why the software reported overlapping vectors on the two original vector lines. Working now though so I'm back to work and happy.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

I suppose what happened is my vector line was drawn but it didn't look like it had been. When I went back up and drew it again I must have done exactly what you suggested and overlapped a single vector line back over itself. Probably why when I selected it and moved it off to the side it looked like I had a single line. I wonder if there was a double set of nodes that I could have used to identify the problem.

Went back and looked at that original file with the overlapping vectors and used the node tool... didn't see anything except a start and end node. Seems to have been a single vector line but something went twilight zone on me the first time I tried drawing these lines.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you go into node edit mode on the original file and drag the mid-point node (the outlined square) and you'll see the other line underneath.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

ahh! Interesting. Thanks again! Tricky stuff :)

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

in Node Edit mode you can also right click on one of the nodes and select "Cut Vector". You can then drag it over to see the line underneath.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Ton80 wrote:I am still confused why the software reported overlapping vectors on the two original vector lines. Working now though so I'm back to work and happy.
Re-watch the first few seconds of your video when you select the bottom vertical and the arc then choose the join option. Notice it says 1 open (the arc) and 1 closed vector (the vertical)---the other vertical is closed too.

Did you perhaps accidentally draw the verticals using the rectangle tool?