first try with corian

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: bravoprodigy be3030

first try with corian

Post by frank taylor »

IMG_20180606_104425_BURST002.jpg

job size 300mm x 240 x 12mm thick white corian ruffing cut 4mm end mill finish 1mm tbn sprayed metallic silver wiped on black boot polish and wiped over with mineral turps to smear the surface

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: first try with corian

Post by Xxray »

turned out nice, I'd be tempted to try to make a mold out of that.
Doug

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice

Post by frank taylor »

thanks xray
make a mold not sure what you mean ??

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

You can make molds of models, then you can quickly, cheaply and easily cast them with a variety of agents from plaster to epoxy.
Materials needed ? A vacuum former machine and thermoform plastic [Styrene, ABS, PETG, Polycarbonate].
You can make your own or buy one
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a- ... stic-vacu/

[Some 3D model makers, vectric for instance, frown on mold making for whatever reasons and actually forbid the practice to be used on their models]
So I'd advise to look for any terms [if any] wherever you got the model and abide by them.
Doug

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Post by kp91 »

frank taylor wrote:
IMG_20180606_104425_BURST002.jpg

job size 300mm x 240 x 12mm thick white corian ruffing cut 4mm end mill finish 1mm tbn sprayed metallic silver wiped on black boot polish and wiped over with mineral turps to smear the surface
Thanks for the idea on finishing! I have some Corian sheets that aren't the best looking colors, had never thought of painting them.
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

Xxray wrote:You can make molds of models, then you can quickly, cheaply and easily cast them with a variety of agents from plaster to epoxy.
Materials needed ? A vacuum former machine and thermoform plastic [Styrene, ABS, PETG, Polycarbonate].

[Some 3D model makers, vectric for instance, frown on mold making for whatever reasons and actually forbid the practice to be used on their models]
So I'd advise to look for any terms [if any] wherever you got the model and abide by them.
Actually, the best way to make a mold, is silicone.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Samson wrote:
Xxray wrote:You can make molds of models, then you can quickly, cheaply and easily cast them with a variety of agents from plaster to epoxy.

Actually, the best way to make a mold, is silicone.
Might be, I personally have not experimented much with mold making, and vac forming works for me at the moment.
I do know the silicone material is expensive enough to send me into sticker shock every time I look, and I'm guessing it would not be infinitely reusable like vac molds.
Doug

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

Xxray wrote:
Might be, I personally have not experimented much with mold making, and vac forming works for me at the moment.
I do know the silicone material is expensive enough to send me into sticker shock every time I look, and I'm guessing it would not be infinitely reusable like vac molds.
Silicone isn't all that expensive. As for infinitely reusable... I have silicone molds that have cast hundreds of times and show no wear at all. Silicone may not last forever, but if it's properly taken care of, it will last for more casts than a person would probably use it for.
Silicone is more capable of replicating detail as well. It can reproduce undercuts and very fine details and small areas that a vac mold can't get into.

Back to the topic...

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Great detail and finish on that Frank!
Well Done!! :)
Whose 1mm TBN did you use, and what stepover?
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice

Post by frank taylor »

end mills.jpg
thanks scottp55
from china via ali express 1800rpm 50mm per sec x 10% step over

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Frank!
I got a 4pack from China (.25-1mmR) that Randall and Leo mentioned from SYTOOL.NET, an was WAY surprised that I loved the cut in hardwoods.
Actually reordered more .25mmR short ones and got a longer on in same radius after seeing the cuts. :)
NICE cut, and thanks again!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BJRphbow
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by BJRphbow »

Was there any extra finishing of the piece after milling and before painting? With a similar bit (1/32" bn) and a smaller step over (6%), I still get very subtle but noticeable striations from the the finishing toolpath (specifically in large, non-detailed fields) ... I don't see any in your picture and I would think that your method of painting would highlight them if they were present. Perhaps my machine is not as tightly tuned as I thought.

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice

Post by frank taylor »

no sanding as it came of the machine just plain lucky with this one
cheers BJRphbow

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Absolutely stunning! I love the frame and the details in the tree.