Help with offsets

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
firechief
Model of CNC Machine: MachMate

Help with offsets

Post by firechief »

When I start a new file with vcarve pro 9 it put in a offset of 5"X - 5"Y? this has already scraped parts for me. how do I get it to not automatically set the offsets? If I need a offset I will check the use offset and put them in.

Thanks for the help.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Help with offsets

Post by Adrian »

Create a new file, remove the offset in the Job Setup, save the file, exit VCarve. Next time you create a new job the offsets will be gone.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If you are importing files created by other another program, then that may be where the offsets are coming from. I have students who have no idea where 0,0,0 is in their rhino workspace. When I get files from them the offset may be a few inches or a half mile. Turning offsets off is just a standard step now every time I start on a student's project.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Post by Ton80 »

Good or bad, it seems Vectric software remembers all your previous settings and they become the default for any future files. I can think of reasons why I like this and why I dislike this. I do wish there was an option in the settings for the software that would allow the user to decide on using this behavior.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Just a comment here.

In Life I have always taken the attitude of "Assume nothing - Check everything". Sure we all like defaults but unfortunately it is just a matter of time and even they can get you into trouble.

Just a thought!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It only gets set if the file being loaded has it or the user sets it. If it was a random thing (bug) then I could understand the issue but it's not. The issue is really whoever created the original file not understanding origins rather than a fault with the Vectric software IMO.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

As Adrian, I do not see any problem.

We have tested several CAM packages quoted in the previous post and they do respect the origin that was set in the CAD system, which is the right behavior IMO.

When we machine several parts on the table, we always set their position in the CAD system which has much more adapted features for this than the CAM software. And we expect the CAM system to respect the CAD origins.

Vectric software behavior is consistent and not random.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517