Milling area between letters

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Steve Burke
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger1

Milling area between letters

Post by Steve Burke »

I've tried searching this subject and have been unable to find anything. When making a split monogramed letter with a name in the middle, I am trying to clear out the area between the letters. I have been unable to figure out how to select that area without selecting the entire letter. Plus I'd like to clear out the area of the letter that's inside the letter, such as the upper and lower open area of the letter B.
I hope I've explained it where someone can help. thank you

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Milling area between letters

Post by adze_cnc »

If you can't select an individual entity (such as the one of the bowls of the letter "B") I'd suggest that those vectors are grouped together. "Ungroup" them and all should be well.

cbr_speedster

Post by cbr_speedster »

Would the pocket tool path do what you need? You select a V-bit along with a larger roughing bit and the software will rough and finish open areas to a certain depth and finish tight areas with the v bit.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Try converting the text to curves (select it and right click, convert to curves is on the menu). Text items look like they're grouped but they're actually special items that need to be converted to curves if you want to isolate individual parts.

Steve Burke

Post by Steve Burke »

Vectric Screenshot.jpg
The area I am trying to mill out is the area between the B and the R. Also the area below the R. I've tried un-grouping it but it only allows me to mill out the area on the inside of the letters.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are the areas closed vectors? They don't look like it from the screenshot (the file itself is always more useful) and that would explain the problem. To mill out an area it has to be a closed shape which is why the letters work but the area outside doesn't.

Even the outside and inside of your selection are closed vectors then the problem might be that they're overlapping. That can cause issues. Make sure there is a gap between them.

JimG
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Seig KX1

Post by JimG »

I would agree with Adrian. I think the two long horizontal lines above and below the letters are confusing the software. I think you have to generate a closed vector for the area between the letters and then select the inner parts of the "B" and the "R" along with the vector for the space between when creating a toolpath. You will also probably have to do a closed vector for the lower part of the "R" which sits on the lower parallel line.

I'm assuming that there is more lettering to come after the "BR" and you will probably have to work along the letters creating closed vectors for any spaces or holes which connect with the parallel lines. Then select all these vectors and NOT the parallel lines to create the tool paths.

Jim.

Steve Burke

Post by Steve Burke »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I figured it out, I have to edit each letterin curves, add a point, add cut point, then make each area a vector. Then it works.