Resolute Desk challenge

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Resolute Desk challenge

Post by cabnet636 »

OK I wanna see if we can spice it up a bit,, collectively we have the talent to create the files for CNC use..

Who is in with me on this and willing to contribute

Ok My friends, Whos gonna build this first, it is the plans for the Resolute desk, I have the pdf if needed, posting the pdf in files now. I had planned to build it (They can bring 10-15k in excellent shape) but my Boat "Daenerys" got in the way
Attachments
1280px-Barack_Obama_sitting_at_the_Resolute_desk_2009.jpg
resolute desk.JPG
7827820430_30a9a6b3a8_z.jpg
deskstephen11.jpg
the-resolute-desk.jpg
resolute desk.pdf
(584.61 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Resolute Desk challenge

Post by Leo »

Jim,

That is a SERIOUS challenge.

I would LOVE to step up to that plate, but my current lifes challenges do not allow for that. Seriously intriguing though. The $10-$15k is pretty interesting also. Not sure a hobby builder would be able to see it.

It's worth giving some significant thought. Perhaps trying a few of the details is a worthy challenge, add them all up and maybe some day.

I know this is within your realm and I would be VERY interested in watching the progress on it.

It is my understanding that the lowest platform is an added feature by I think one of the Bushes to give the desk a little more height.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Last year, the CEO of the CarveWright CNC company (Chris Lovchik) and I, did this Resolution Desk project together. This desk is for his 2,000 sq ft library. We both spent hundreds of hours creating the models, figuring out dimensions from reference photos, making modifications here and there to suit, etc. I used the Aspire modeling tools and he used the CarveWright modeling tools. ALL the models were converted to the proprietary PTN CarveWright model format and ALL carving was done on the CarveWright CNC (its material capacity is 14" wide x up to 12 feet long).

This was a custom job and we altered the dimensions (made it less wide) and put his family crest model on the front of the desk instead of the Presidential Seal. Other mods were made too. If you notice (from other reference photos) on the original, all of the back vertical column designs are different. We didn't do that mainly because both of us were a bit worn out. We did this in 3 1/2 months time with almost no breaks. Dozens and dozens of components were modeled and combined to form completed design panels and so on. (see a couple screenshots below)

I took a few quick photos just as soon as the desk was moved from the first floor workshop and placed in the upstairs library. The leather top had not been sourced, so it had just a sheet of plain plywood on top at that time. I'm going to take much better quality photos of it when I stay at his house during the CarveWright CNC Conference next month.

You are correct that it is a massive project - especially if one takes the time to do a fully faithful reproduction. I doubt I'll revisit it again. Been there, done that and I'm still worn out! I'll leave it up to others to take on the task (happily!).
Attachments
Resolute_Desk_Back_Column_1-five-sections.png
Resolute_Desk_Back.png
Resolute_Desk_Front.png
drawer-panel-ornament-composite_3.png
arched-moulding_panel-ornament.png
Last edited by mtylerfl on Mon May 28, 2018 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Leo wrote:
It is my understanding that the lowest platform is an added feature by I think one of the Bushes to give the desk a little more height.
JFK added the platform riser. It was originally made of Pine, but since it didn't match the desk, a new one was made from Oak.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

The origin of the Resolute is very interesting. "Many presidents have used the Resolute desk in the Oval Office or the their study in the Residence. It was made from the timbers of HMS Resolute, an abandoned British ship discovered by an American vessel and returned to the Queen of England as a token of friendship and goodwill. When the ship was retired, Queen Victoria commissioned the desk from William Evenden, Royal Naval Dockyard at Chatham, England, and presented to President Rutherford Hayes in 1880."
Source; http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/furnish ... e-desk.htm

Phil

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Michael,

Send all of the Resolute Desk CAD models to me and I'll see if I can make myself a nice Paradise Box office desk. :D

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

CarveOne wrote:Michael,

Send all of the Resolute Desk CAD models to me and I'll see if I can make myself a nice Paradise Box office desk. :D

CarveOne
I'll bet you would!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

um, isn't that .pdf copyrighted material? (or a poor copy of copyrighted material?)

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/the ... =art-print
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Nice challenge Jim! We would love to see your Daenerys Boat project!
Michael, wow that is incredible - a lot of work has gone into that and it looks amazing!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

Dale1944
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Homemade

Post by Dale1944 »

This is way out of my league, but I would love to make such a desk. I hope you guys with talent and skill will share with butchers like me.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

With the design time, CNC time, labor, finishing and materials, I would think $10K-$15K would be a little low on the price scale. I could see having at LEAST 2 months of dedicated work into a project like that. Just thinking.....

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Six months is more realistic. And that's if you don't have anything else to do. We did it in less than four months, and it came out great. However, we did take lots of shortcuts, as it is not a true replica. Couple more months would have been nice.

Plus, the reference photos are not always extremely clear (especially the old black and white ones)and there is a tad of guesswork. Those "blueprints" posted by the OP are only marginally useful. They aren't completely correct either and not very helpful for a detailed modeling reference. Actual photos are better.

Short of getting into the Oval Office myself to take my own photos and measurements, it's a challenge.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Short of getting into the Oval Office myself to take my own photos and measurements, it's a challenge.
Maybe Brady Watson can use his government connections to have the desk shipped to his shop for a few days of scanning. :mrgreen:
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Maybe Brady Watson can use his government connections to have the desk shipped to his shop for a few days of scanning. :mrgreen:
Dang right! I could make silicon molds and castings of the carvings, or laser scan them with my NextEngine Scanner too if shipped here instead!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Just send a nice letter saying can you please allow me to visit your office & scan/photograph your desk.
If you say that you are doing it as a Vectric Challenge then I am sure you will get a positive reply :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: