cut depth/profile issues with stl files -vcarve pro 9

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
boulder
Model of CNC Machine: laguna iq

cut depth/profile issues with stl files -vcarve pro 9

Post by boulder »

hey guys, i am very new to cnc and the software for it, i am having cut depth issues in a pocket on an stl i am using.

my materials are .5" and im trying to cut the pocket .375" deep but often it shows on the cut preview that it will ony cut .125. i dont know how to manually set cut depth on a stl. all the cut details are generated by vcarve pro 9.

i have attached some files and a picture if anyone can help.

any and all help is much appreciated!!!!!

thanks
Attachments
cut depth issues.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: cut depth/profile issues with stl files -vcarve pro 9

Post by Adrian »

Do you really need to cut those as 3D? Looks like a 2D job to me and it will be far faster and cleaner done that way.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I agree with Adrian, that looks like a 2d project, but to set were you component sits in your material use the Material Setup on the tool path tam.
John
Maker of Chips

boulder

Post by boulder »

can i still use the stl? i guess what i mean is i have this 3d shape and i want to cut it out without drawing it in vcarve, im pretty amateur so im not really sure how to make that conversion.

thanks!!!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You can still use the STL but it's totally the wrong way to do it and you'll probably be less than happy with the results. Drawing the shape will take a few minutes even if you're an amateur. Why start using the software in the wrong way?

The cut depth on a 3D piece is controlled by the 3D shape itself. Where the piece is positioned within the material Z is controlled within the material setup as has been said. Make sure you're setting an offset in the finish toolpath = to the tool radius to make sure the tool rolls over the edges properly and you should really be using a roughing toolpath otherwise you risk bit breakage as 3D finish passes are done in one pass regardless of the pass depth specified.

boulder

Post by boulder »

ok i got you, id like to try both options, what do you think are some best resources (videos preferably) to draw this in 2d and tool-path it?

thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Best resources are the Vectric training materials on the VCarve Help menu (Video Tutorial Browser).

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't want to sound negative but this is literally a few rectangles & as Adrian has said can be drawn in a few minutes by an amateur, so if you need some guidance on how to do that it would be best if you worked your way through some of the tutorials before you took on this project :lol: :lol:

Start at the very beginning as working your way through from the start will give you a much better understanding of how it all works than cherry picking the bits you fancy trying :lol: :lol:
Most of the tutorials come with files you can download & follow along with,

This is a general overview of the cnc machine if you haven't already had a look, some useful info in there if you are new to cnc & the software

http://www.vectric.com/support/introduction-to-cnc.html

This link is to the into to drawing vectors but as I said above I would start with the getting started tutorials first :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=99

boulder

Post by boulder »

what about this? i am using other software to make my drawings. when i imported the dxf it had tons of open vectors.
Attachments
tline.PNG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I'd bring that in as a 2D dxf, use Vector Validator to fix any problems then use VCP toolpaths to add the depth. Much simpler, machine a lot quicker and as Adrian said, you'll be lot happier with the results.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Plus, you don't need other software at all for simple things like what you've shown. All precision vector drawing can be done in VCarve. After you create your toolpaths, you can preview the dimensional result directly in VCarve.

Take another look at the last example you showed. The internal walls are very thin, but especially at one of the rounded corners which has almost no material left. You may want to modify your design a bit so it will survive the cutting.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Another advantage of using vectors & 2D machining for jobs like this is if you decide you would like to use a different thickness material then it is very quick & easy to make the changes required :lol: :lol:

Without actually machining a few jobs & then setting the time estimator up properly you are unlikely to get an accurate indication of the time difference between machining this as a 3D project & using 2D toolpaths with pocket & profile cuts but it will still show you that there is a huge difference in the time it takes to machine these both ways :lol: :lol:

As has already been said these simple projects can easily be drawn up using 2D vectors, just because you have software capable of producing 3D models doesn't mean you have to use it for projects like this :lol: :lol:

boulder

Post by boulder »

thank you all!!!! I will spend some time learning these methods and be sure to ask questions if any arise