cutting boards with walnut inlay

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
tireguy
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 with Extended bed

cutting boards with walnut inlay

Post by tireguy »

My second project(s) with my CNC router are maple cutting boards with black walnut inlay. Used V-carve software with a 90 deg v-bit. Amazingly easy once I watched the tutorials and figured it out

First one is a Goodyear wingfoot logo from an old advertising sign. I found photo of old sign on Google Images, did a screenshot of just the logo, and imported into V-carve Pro 9.0. I easily created vectors from the image, and created a (positive) pocket for the maple and (negative) raised image for the walnut inlay.

I made the second and third cutting boards for church youth group fundraiser. I imported their logo and camp logo and easily created the vectors. Raffling both off raised several hundred dollars each for the program.

The fourth board was just for fun for my son's honey company using a bee silhouette downloaded from the internet.
Attachments
20180422_212145.jpg
Goodyear Wingfoot Vintage I.jpg
20180414_191924.jpg
20180414_191932.jpg
20180429_160701.jpg

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Re: cutting boards with walnut inlay

Post by Daniel S »

Very nice work. Are you using a spindle or router and may I ask what speeds and feed rate you carve at? I have a Shark HD4 with spindle and I'm not sure if I should change speeds when cutting (negative) raised inlays.
Dan

tireguy
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 with Extended bed

Post by tireguy »

Daniel S wrote:Very nice work. Are you using a spindle or router and may I ask what speeds and feed rate you carve at? I have a Shark HD4 with spindle and I'm not sure if I should change speeds when cutting (negative) raised inlays.
Dan
I am using my son's machine and he has a spindle. I use 16,000 - 24,000 rpm (the maximum setting) and whatever feed speeds is defaulted by V-Carve software. I don't think the pocket or raised inlay cut at different feed speeds.

I did have an issue with chip-out on raised inlay image on one project, but the letters were small and the wood was black walnut and probably prone to chippout. I did same project using same program but using another species and had no chip-out.

I used a 90 deg v-bit. I tried using 60 deg but the raised inlay seemed even more fragile and even more prone to chip-out.

I am amazed at the fine detail possible in the inlay image using the software and simple v-bit.

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Thanks for the info. The only inlay work I have done was on plaques and carving numbers for 50th wedding gifts. I always have to modify the numbers to slightly round numbers to get good tight fit. I like your work it looks great. I have reduced the speed to get the least amount of chip out, usually around 50 or less. Thanks again for the reply.